• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 regjr

regjr

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

I'm new here and posted to the beginnger's block regarding advice on joining local groups.
I have three types of EMF meters, an Olympus digital voice recorder, one Sony Nightshot with 850nm and 1000nm IR lens for daytime shotes, my trusty digital camera, omnidirectional microphone, one compass and my prized item, a Raytheon thermal imaging 225 with video output. Strangely enough, I thought that this would be considered more than basic but a co-director of one group I was considering applying with whom I spoke with considered this "basic equipment". As far as I know, no other groups or independent investigators in this local area have a FLIR. This then begs the question what is considered basic equipment?

#2 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

To me... Basic equipment is a digital voice recorder, camera (digital or film), video camera with IR capablility w/ an IR light, an EMF meter, and a pad of paper and pencil...

That's basic to me...

Just my 2 cents...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

I'm new here and posted to the beginnger's block regarding advice on joining local groups.
I have three types of EMF meters, an Olympus digital voice recorder, one Sony Nightshot with 850nm and 1000nm IR lens for daytime shotes, my trusty digital camera, omnidirectional microphone, one compass and my prized item, a Raytheon thermal imaging 225 with video output. Strangely enough, I thought that this would be considered more than basic but a co-director of one group I was considering applying with whom I spoke with considered this "basic equipment". As far as I know, no other groups or independent investigators in this local area have a FLIR. This then begs the question what is considered basic equipment?

I certainly wouldn't consider a FLIR a basic tool. While its benefit for investigations of this type have yet to be proven (BTW I also have a FLIR at my disposal), it certainly opens areas for research most don't have. The other equipment mentioned are useful, but might be considered what most have. You ask for what is considered basic? in my opinion:

The digital recorder is basic, useful for notations and interview sessions. Doesn't meet specs for serious EVP research data though. Insufficient sample rate, bit width, and file compression are all shortcomings. Plus these record in mono; stereo is recommended.

The camera specs aren't given so I can't say about it. 6 mpix or greater though is usually sufficient.

The IR cpabilities are acceptable for that type of work. Personally I am not impressed with shooting images in total darkness. It just seems to me you can get just as much in the way of evidence in daylight without the problems associated with images made under dark conditions. But it is good for what you claim.

The omnidirectional mic should be fine, but no specs were given so I can't really evaluate your make / model.

Three EMF meters should suffice, although why three? You don't say what kind you have so no evaluation is possible. For the benefit of those reading though, consider one good EMF meter is much better than three low quality cheap ones. Of course if yours are three good ones you've got that covered.

A compass is sometimes neccessary but as an investigative tool I don't see a need for one other than to find directions. Fields strong enough to influence a compass are more than adequate to activate a static field strength monitor.

If I was evaluating your equipment looking for where to make improvement I would say your next investment should be in a recording system for EVP. Unless of course you aren't interested in doing EVPs. Then skip that. You seem to have everything else covered.

All in all though I would have to disagree with calling this basic. Most people joining groups don't have anything of their own when they first join. I don't know what the group you mentioned expects, but they should spell out their requirements.

#4 PSI-Jim

PSI-Jim

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

To me... Basic equipment is a digital voice recorder, camera (digital or film), video camera with IR capablility w/ an IR light, an EMF meter, and a pad of paper and pencil...

That's basic to me...

Just my 2 cents...

Agreed.

A FLIR camera is a really sought after tool in the field, and many of us cant afford one.

But it sounds like your on the right tracks. The more of an area you can cover and document the results the better!

Jim

#5 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

from caverat's response above: A compass is sometimes necessary but as an investigative tool I don't see a need for one other than to find directions. Fields strong enough to influence a compass are more than adequate to activate a static field strength monitor.

Actually, in attempting to simply I am developing a system of using compasses as a visual aid for monitoring field movement. It's very simple, and once I have things nailed down I'll publish the video I am putting together on it. I looked at compasses this way; if they are the simplest tool for determining the influence of a magnetic field, they can show us where to target those areas with our other tools to determine field strength, etc.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users