26 replies to this topic

#16 john8750

john8750

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Electronics

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

I dont understand how a still photograph can be in analog. Dont we need tape to record in analog?
Go with what you have to start out.
Try EVP. Thats easy to get with an IC recorder.
John SmithI know I'm not a good speller. I have a low IQ.Keep the fun in it>

#17 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

In fact, 35mm film cannot matrix!!!
You can literally blow it up to poster size and it will not matrix. Plus, the negatives prove a great deal. This is true because it is extremely difficult to tamper with a negative and have it not be detected, in this day and age. Conversely, digital media can be easily manipulated with many inexpensive programs.

Actually, I think the word you were looking for is pixelate, not matrix. Pixelation occurs when you enlarge a picture or photo to the point of being able to distinguish individual pixels (picture elements). Even film has a limit to how much you can enlarge it before it starts looking grainy.

Matrixing, on the other hand, occurs when your brain tries to find something recognizable in a picture or sound. Our brains are hard-wired to make sense of chaos. Have you ever spotted a "face" on a "cottage cheese" ceiling? When the twin towers of the World Trade Center went down, dozens (if not hundreds) of people swore they saw faces in the billows of smoke.

Better quality recording devices and medium tend to be more expensive, but they provide evidence which can undergo more analysis.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#18 BellaRose

BellaRose

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:My SON (the Sunshine of my Life!!!!), Reading,<br />Bellydancing, My Pets, Sharing Information.<br /><br />ROSE &amp; THE TAROT<br />I have been studying the TAROT for 25+ years and have given readings to both the Famous and Non-Famous alike.<br />I have NEVER charged for a reading....<br />I studied extensively with Shekhinah Mountainwater<br />(1939-2007) from 1998 thru 2000. I was ordained as a Priestess in 1999.<br /><br /><br />QUIZILLA<br />CHECK OUT MY QUIZZES, POETRY, &amp; POLLS:<br />http://www.quizilla.com/users/6CentsRose/

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

In fact, 35mm film cannot matrix!!!
You can literally blow it up to poster size and it will not matrix. Plus, the negatives prove a great deal. This is true because it is extremely difficult to tamper with a negative and have it not be detected, in this day and age. Conversely, digital media can be easily manipulated with many inexpensive programs.

Actually, I think the word you were looking for is pixelate, not matrix. Pixelation occurs when you enlarge a picture or photo to the point of being able to distinguish individual pixels (picture elements). Even film has a limit to how much you can enlarge it before it starts looking grainy.

Matrixing, on the other hand, occurs when your brain tries to find something recognizable in a picture or sound. Our brains are hard-wired to make sense of chaos. Have you ever spotted a "face" on a "cottage cheese" ceiling? When the twin towers of the World Trade Center went down, dozens (if not hundreds) of people swore they saw faces in the billows of smoke.

Better quality recording devices and medium tend to be more expensive, but they provide evidence which can undergo more analysis.

Greetings AS,
Let me clarify what I meant...
35 mm film has a higher level of quality in enlargement. To put it plainly, with the proper film, a 35mm negative may be "blown" up to literally "wall size" without significant distortion. This is simply impossible with a digital image, as they will rapidly be reduced to a bmp.

Matrix-
1.A situation or surrounding substance within which something originates, develops, or is contained. 2.The womb....etc.
The American Heritage Dictionary

A mathematical table
Wikipedia-Matrix

You searched for Pixelate
No page with that title exists.
Wikipedia - Pixelate

#19 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

Try looking up pixelated (sometimes spelled pixellated) and pixelation.

"Matrix" or "matrixing" is commonly used in the field of spiritography to mean pareidolia - the topic of this month.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#20 BigMike

BigMike

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I am unemployed right now, and the gear that I have is:
1) An Olympus Pearlcoder Microcassette recorder
2) A Bell + Howell 35 mm power zoom camera
3) A Cam corder (Hi 8 mm that uses little tapes) that is my wife's (she will let me use it on hunts/investigations)

And that's it for now, total cost?
$20
Live every day as if it was your last, it could well be.

#21 The Bishop

The Bishop

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Actually there are a great deal more things than what you guys have talked about so far, for instance, you can get a mini black light by purchasing a urine remover kit for 20.00, mini recorders (analog -I have two- and digital-one-) are coming down in price (analog ones start @ 12.00, digitals around 35.00), i use a polaroid camera myself, also have a 35mm and two 110 cameras (woo hoo), and yes i do have a couple of digitals. For white noise generation i use a basic 10 dollar AM/FM radio with a speaker built in, ect. the list goes on. When i get teh chance, i will post a pic of my cases of gear that i use on cases, and will make one of them my avatar.
Bishop Colin Collins

#22 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

The propblem with inexpensive stuff is quality. there are certain specs that need to be established if one is to get data of acceptable quality to do anything with. Cheap cameras suffer from problems related to flash placement. They may be compact, but having the flash located too near the lens creates dust orbs more readily in your pictures. Best to use a camera with external flash on a hotshoe. This helps prevent that problem.

The of course with digital cameras we have the pixel ratings. A cheap 3 megapixel camera will pixelate when the image is enlarged much faster than a 7 or 8 megapixel camera. So the chances of false positives go up as quality comes down.

Cheap recorders lack sufficient frequency response to capture speech faitfully. True you may get something but questions will arise related to what is captured. With digital recorders, low sample rates and bit width limitations also create distortion that can be confused with real EVPs.

White noise is something quickly fallng out of favor. It has been shown that using white noise simply leads to masking of a valid signal at best and audio paraedolia in worse case scenarios. Best to avoid using it at all, consider why would you want to add noise only to later destroy the EVP's validity by processing it to remove the same noise?

#23 magssdoc

magssdoc

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Of course the most inexpensive and reliable pieces of equipment you can take on an investigation are.......

a torch, preferably one that you do not have to rely on batteries, either wind-up or one using the faraday friction battery.
A pen that writes
A pad on which to write
and lastly a watch to write down the time you have either experienced anything or seen something.
And a reliable friend.

#24 The Bishop

The Bishop

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

hmmph
Cheap only comes if you don't do your homework.
Its like generic cereal. Made by the same companies as the name brands, just sold as an off brand to attract customers who may have aversions to name brands, or be deprived of the extra $$ to enjoy them. The idea is to do the leg work; any investigator WORTH their beans should be able to do this without too much fuss. As for the Q on why use white noise.. simple: when used properly, i have seen (and heard) it attract certain vibrations and frequencies allowing for the enhancement of such Undetectables such as EVPs and such. Many devices will have them, even digital..that is called signal to noise ratio.

I do agree that quality will be an issue in many cases but that is where (again) leg work and research come in handy. I do propose this: if there isn't a post started already, as a community, we should post gear that does and does not work well, under what circumstances (if it is applicable), where to get them, ect.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by The Bishop, 08 November 2008 - 03:41 PM.

Bishop Colin Collins

#25 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

I will agree that companies second source some products. However this generally (not always though) applies to equipment which is already considered low end. You can find some versions of the same device with someone else's name on it for a little less by shopping around.

Good equipment though is usually manufactured directly by the comapny whose name appears on it. Much is also NIST tracable to insure its calibration is to specs set by industry standards. It is this level of equipment that should be utilized by serious researchers to insure integrity in data.

And as to white noise consider that audio paraedolia cannot exist unless there is first some form of baseline to work with. Keeping noise to a minimum eliminates this opportunity. Thus the possibility of false positives is reduced by lowering the noise level, not raising it. Those "vibrations and frequencies" supposedly attracted are generally hetrodynes created by interactions within components of the noise itself, not valid data to be studied. You can do a spectrum analysis to confirm this provided the quality of your analog recording (frequency response) is sufficient. (Digital won't work due to sampling errors for this particular test)

#26 cayen1234

cayen1234

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

I've been reading it through this thread is that people are overlooking one excellent source for good quality stuff at cheap prices: Pawn Shops. So far I've bought a good portion of my stuff from those sources. Yes your getting the equipment second hand, however if you really keep your eye out you can get some fantastic deals.

here is what I've bought from a local pawn shop and how much I've gotten it for.
CellSensor EMF: (yeah it's basic) $10
2x Digital recorders: $20
2X Digital Camera: $20

it's true my digital cameras are older styles and small on the megapixal size, but for starting out it works for me. I've seen very high end 8 megapixal digital camera that is normally 130 bucks for 70. Camcorders can get really expensive, but if you play your cards right they are well within your reach.

Edited by cayen1234, 19 November 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#27 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Is there any interest here in DIY? I posted this on a different message board, but I'm so enthusiastic about it that I'd like a wider perspective:

Spacetime, anyone?

Google "time shift" when you've got days/weeks to spare. If we could see a spacetime anomaly, what would it look like? If a ghost/spirit opened a door in the spacetime continuum and stepped through, how would we detect it?

I whittled out a "system." It consists of two pocket-sized boxes. Each contains a 9V battery, a microprocessor (uP), and a precision crystal oscillator (clock) circuit. Also, one contains a tiny radio transmitter, the other holds a tiny radio receiver.

(underlines indicate subject to change)
My theory is this: I'll call the first box TX. TX has a free-running 16Mhz oscillator. The uP "watches" the clock oscillate at 16MHz and, assuming there are no anomalous events, encodes and sends the clock rate to the other unit (RX) at 2400 baud. Some distance away, RX receives the signal and compares its own internal 16MHz clock rate to that sent by TX. If the two values agree, all is good and the uP lights a green LED. HOWEVER, if one or the other clock rate is off by a significant amount, "in theory" that means that there's something goofy with the fabric of spacetime and the uP will start blinking red LEDs like there's no tomorrow (Heaven forbid that that's actually the case.).

Now I need a location to test it. I suspect it will respond with some agreement with an EMF detector. (?)

Thoughts, comments, criticisms? Be nice and I'll tell you about detecting infrasound.

===============================================================
Random notes and search terms:

http://www.iprfinc.com/brian21.html

time shift
time shift detector
time distortion detector
Time Variance Gravitational Wave Detector
Gravity wave

spacetime
spacetime continuum
space-time vortex
Fabric of Space Time

infrasound
infrasonics
http://www.newenglan... are ghosts.htm

Vic Tandy

Acoustic-Gravity waves
atmospheric infrasound

=================

big bang
spacetime
gravity
quantum gravity
gravitation
gravitational wave
scalar gravity
electromagnetic field tensor

============================
ghost
Ghost (disambiguation)
paranormal phenomenon
paranormal

http://superstringth...cs/basic5a.html
Adding fermions to string theory introduces a new set of negative norm states or ghosts, to add to the ghost states that come from the bosonic sector described on the previous page. String theorists learned that all of these bad ghost states decouple from the spectrum when two conditions are satisfied: the number of spacetime dimensions is 10, and theory is supersymmetric, so that there are equal numbers of bosons and fermions in the spectrum.
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users