Old Hag Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:09 AM

What is that feeling called when you are mostly asleep, but slightly awake?  You want to move your body, but you can't?  This usually happens to me in the morning.  I hate it so much.  I think that it has been referred to as "old hag syndrome?"  If someone has some information, I'd like to share a story that really freaked me out.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#2 Brianne

Brianne

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:35 AM

The term for it is Sleep Paralysis (pardon my spelling but I've got a little one trying to get my attention).  

It can be caused by many reasons.....it is called the Old Hag Syndrome because it used to be believed that an Old Hag sat on your chest and held you there, she is also related with a dark figure that is sometimes seen in the corner as well.  I know a university here (and I'm sure quite a few, not just one) did research on it and discovered that it is a worldwide phenomenon for what it is worth.

Hope this was helpful,
Brianne

#3 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 01 August 2003 - 02:46 PM

Something happened a few nights ago that freaked me out.  As a matter of fact, I almost got onto this site early in the morning to tell about my incident right after it happened.

It was early one morning and I was going through that sleep paralysis feeling.  Since I was very asleep I was dreaming that some man was hovering over me.  I was thinking about things to say when you are in a compromising position.  One thing that I had heard was to "talk" to your attacker as if this was no big deal to you.  So, I said to my "attacker" something about asking him to feed me.  Then the strangest thing happened.  I felt something covering my entire mouth and I felt something warm going down my throat like blood. I know all of this sounds really gross, but I need to make some sense of this situation.

I finally woke up.  I was very scared from my "experience."  I looked over at my dog and he was sound asleep on the bed.  I began thinking that if some type of invader had really entered my room the dog would have been barking.  I got up, grabbed two sets of rosary beads and placed them on my headboard.  Then I placed a statue of Mary on the table next to my bed.  This is how freaked out I was over this situation.

I know all of this was part of sleep paralysis and I dreamed all of this up, but it sure did scare me.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#4 reprise

reprise

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:41 PM

A similar experience to sleep paralysis often affects patients in intensive care units.

#5 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:25 AM

Really?  They feel as if someone is standing over them?  What really freaked me out is feeling someone's mouth on mine. :o

#6 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:19 AM

OK I am going to be lazy here at the moment and not go search it out and give references for it. I am going to say a bit from memory.

Sleep Paralysis has a very distinctive function, it will keep you in a state of non function while dreaming so you wont injure yourself. If you are dreaming about being chased by a big dog you could actually get up and run while sleeping and end up running through a glass door just as one example. As waking you will become aware of the condition and it will seem to intensify. Now some people will actually sleep walk and do not become non functional and this can cause injuries to themselves or others.

If I get time later I will put up some reference sites.

BTW Sleep Paralysis is not the correct term for what I am referring to but it is very similar. It is just another question to ponder.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#7 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:31 AM

Now as far as Sleep Paralysis is concerned this is a good site to peek at.

http://www.arts.uwat...cheyne/S_P.html
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#8 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:42 AM

OK I hate being lazy so here is a site that will backup what I stated earlier.

http://www.epub.org....ligamento_i.htm

and here is the complete site.

http://www.epub.org.br/cm/home_i.htm

#9 lone

lone

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:42 AM

I had the experince once of being held down by the shoulders after I had seen an apparition but I think that was sleep paralysis :;) ::) ::)

#10 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:57 AM

Basically the discomfort of the paralysis will cause hallucinations. Not trying to say that someone may not be visited in this way but a lot of the cases can be explained away.

#11 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 01:35 PM

Well, I definately wanted it to be a dream because I would not like for a situation like that to be real.

#12 eulac

eulac

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 07:44 AM

I had "old hag" experiences on the way back from Houston.  See my posting on the weird experience.  It happend twice and I couldn't figure it out because I've never had it happen to me before.

It is scary!  Totally!

Ericka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users