Digital Recorder Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reapr

reapr

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Wisdom, Knowledge and Truth.

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have an Olympus 311 PC recorder.
When doing EVP work I sometime hear that it is ok to use the voice activated control is this true?

I have also heard that you do not want the highest quality recorded audio is this true?

Do you also want the mic set at a very high sensitivity.

This goes against logical reason please put me straight.

I would suspect that one would want the highest quality recording possible preferably in stereo and with voice activation off with no frequency filtering. This recorder also has an option to filter for voice frequency.

I need some answers fast because I will be staying at a haunted historic location in a few days.

Thanks.
People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe. Andy Rooney

#2 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

When doing EVP work I sometime hear that it is ok to use the voice activated control is this true?

I wouldn't personally. I keep mine going the whole time. That way I will capture anything at any time during the investigation.

I have also heard that you do not want the highest quality recorded audio is this true?

Not sure why other than it takes up more memory. But, if you are just leaving the DVR for 24 hours to record, then maybe you may want to lessen the quality.

I do only because I noticed the lower sensitivity setting did not pick up the other investigator too well, and I almost confused his voice for an EVP. The negative side is that I often catch insects or cars passing by, external noises that one can not control.

I need some answers fast because I will be staying at a haunted historic location in a few days.

Good luck on your investigation.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#3 MIKEINNV

MIKEINNV

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving &amp; Golf

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:16 PM

I have had my best luck with standard play and confrence. Not HQ, high quality picks up every sound and can actually distort it. Also, if you put the mic on voice activation by the time it activates the voice may be done. Or it may not be loud enough to activate it so you would miss alot. Let us kn ow how your investigation goes and good luck.

#4 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

I would suspect that one would want the highest quality recording possible preferably in stereo and with voice activation off with no frequency filtering. This recorder also has an option to filter for voice frequency.

Thanks.

When I investigate I never use voice activate. You will find that if you do it tends to either cut off questions you are asking or possibly responses you may get.

I do record on the highest quality. It elimates a lot of extra noise that you have recording on lower quality setting.

The mic sensitivity, could go either way. I do like to keep mine on high. Sometimes voices come in very faint on low. Even investigator voices. I want to be able to distinguish who is talking.

Hope that helps some.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#5 reapr

reapr

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Wisdom, Knowledge and Truth.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

Thanks.

Thanks that seems to make sense. I plan on keeping it on the highest sensitivity.

When I investigate I never use voice activate. You will find that if you do it tends to either cut off questions you are asking or possibly responses you may get.

I do record on the highest quality. It elimates a lot of extra noise that you have recording on lower quality setting.

The mic sensitivity, could go either way. I do like to keep mine on high. Sometimes voices come in very faint on low. Even investigator voices. I want to be able to distinguish who is talking.

Hope that helps some.

People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe. Andy Rooney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users