"Ghost" by Katherine Ramsland

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wayne2241

wayne2241

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:21 AM

Hi all. I ws wondering if anyone has read this book yet, and if so, what were your opinions on it. It is a trade paperback. I found some good and bad in it, but if someone wants to read how one person progressed as an investigator, I recommend it.

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#2 hoppip

hoppip

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 09:27 AM

I will go and see if i can purchase the book and give my opinion ;)

#3 DSF

DSF

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:04 AM

Wayne,

I don't think I have read it.  But it does sound familiar.  Can you give a brief overview of it?

#4 wayne2241

wayne2241

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 17 May 2003 - 08:20 AM

I actually wrote a review for it and submitted it, but I will put it here for those that can't wait.  ;D

Ghost: A Firsthand Account Into The World Of Paranormal Activity

By Katherine Ramsland

St. Martins Paperbacks, 2002
396 pages with index and bibliography 14 photos

The back cover of this title by the bestselling author of Piercing The Darkness: Undercover With Vampires In America Today, promises to be a good read. I couldn't help but buy the book based on it alone. It isn't a handbook or manual, a compilation of ghost stories or a haunted directory, but a lucid and personal account of one investigative reporter's desire to prove or disprove the supernatural.

The book begins near the closing of her previous bestseller, Piercing The Darkness: Undercover With Vampires In America Today, in the search for the spirit of Christian, a decidedly mysterious character, the circumstances behind the disappearance of a well known reporter and her possesion of a ring supposedly belonging to him. We are shown her day to day thoughts on the paranormal in many aspects and the education she undertook to learn of the paranormal, and her attempts to put theory into practice, under the guidance of some well known paranormal investigators while utilizing the abilities of psychics and shamans.

The book is an easy read, moving swiftly through the chapters, giving us an intimate view into the conversion of a skeptic to an open minded sceptic to a believer. We follow Ms. Ramsland through her education on theory and equipment usage. We are privy to her thoughts and personal theoreies, whilst giving us, the readers, enough eerieness due to circumstance to keep us from putting it down. The only problem that I have with the work is the dependence on psychics, who often give conflicting information, although she does think much of it is hogwash, there are some statements by the psychics featured that lend some credence.

The photograph section in the center is unremarkable, but this could be due in part to the printing process used and lack of definition. I think color would have made a greater impact, and the majority of photos are of your basic orbs. But in all fairness, it is a noble attempt by the author to show what is to her, evidence.

This is a very well written and researched book, by a woman who has become truly passionate about the paranormal and looks at the paranormal world in the end with an open minded skepticism. It is a refreshing read, available to all, and easily understandable by the layman. This book is highly recommended as a respite to the plethora of manuals and haunted location directories. Read it. You won't be disappointed.

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#5 wayne2241

wayne2241

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:54 AM

Well My review was put into the library section, and I have to thank Jeff for the confidence in me to do that. So let's all give him a big hand.  ;D ;D ;D

MRIP

Posted Image

#6 honeybeary

honeybeary

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:45 AM

I know this is an old post, but I just read the book recently and I enjoyed it. I think it gives a lot of good sites as well as some info for people who are just beginning ghost hunting.
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

#7 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:26 AM

I've read Piercing the Darkness.... so I'm definitely going to have to check this one out.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#8 SpectralSpy

SpectralSpy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:24 PM

Sounds interesting!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and science.He to whom this emotion is a stranger,who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead-His eyes are closed."Albert Einstein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users