#16 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

Tell us about the different Gods you have ?

God in Hinduism is The Supreme - the universal energy that is everywhere and in everything but cannot be contained by anything or anyone which is Paramatman, the Supreme Self or God. The different deities worshiped are different aspects of this Supreme Being which is formless, genderless and doesn't have anything associated with it but Oneness.

The three major aspects of God are the Thrimurthy, or the Trinity - Brahma - the creator, Vishnu - the Lord of the Now or Present, and Shiva - the Lord of what is beyond current realm of existence. The powers of these deities which are inseparable from them - just as the power of fire to burn cannot be separated from fire itself. This power or the energy is what Hindus worship as Durga or Kali or the female deity. The masculine entities are like the container, and the female entities are the power which gives value to that container. None exist without the other.

In Hinduism, Divine Mother called Shakti (Durga or Kali) is the first manifestation of Divine Energy / The Supreme Being. Thus with the name of Divine Mother comes the idea of energy, omnipotence, omnipresence, love, intelligence, and wisdom. Just as a child believes its mother to be all-powerful, and capable of doing anything for the child, a devotee believes the Divine Mother to be all merciful, all-powerful and eternally guiding and protecting him with her invisible arms. By worshiping God as the Divine Mother, a Hindu can more easily attribute Motherly traits to the Lord, such as tenderness and forgivingness. The natural love between a Mother- and her- child is the best expression of the Lord's unconditional love for- us as children of God. In the most representative Hindu view, the universe is the manifestation of the creative power (Shakti) of Brahman, whose essence is absolute existence, consciousness, and bliss (or in Sanskrit, sat-chi t-ananda). Since all created forms proceed from the womb of the mother, the creative power Shakti) of God is recognized by Hindus as the female principle or t he motherly aspect of nature. In this sense we are all children of the Divine Mother. We are contained by Her before our - manifestation and nourished by Her throughout our existence.

Well, that is the best I can help with for now!

Edited by SattvicMoon, 25 May 2007 - 02:20 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

My good friend Prakash who is over from India worships Vishnu :hug:

#18 AnythingButNormal

AnythingButNormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Science, history, museums, and the technical aspects of investigating the paranormal.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

Moon, correct me if I am wrong, but I'd like to address the issue of the differing gods in Hinduism. When I visited a Hindi temple and talked to the guru there he told me that the different gods were a crutch for those who could not comprehend the power of Brahma to be anything or any shape it so desires. The idols or statues are just physical representations of the power of an omniscient God. That is why Shiva is both the creator, and the destroyer right? Though I am not Indian, I believe in Hinduism because it is the only religion I have found that can be practiced in every aspect of my life without contradiction.

Namaste
Investigator/Technical Manager: South Coast Paranormal Society, Augusta, GAwww.southcoastparanormalsociety.com

#19 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

Namaste.

The personification of God in Hinduism is what perhaps created the illussion that Hindus worship billions of deities. Hinduism says "everything in this universe is God" which actually tells the Omni Presence of God.

Parah Brahman is what God is for Hindus, but what a mind cannot comprehend, it cannot focus on, and for the same reason there are various personified Gods in our belief system. It is for each person to worship whatever form is right for them.
Posted Image

#20 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hey Moonie,

Thanks for posting all the info. I loved reading it.... Have you seen the list of scanned books on Sacred Texts. Here is the direct link for Hinduism

http://www.sacred-te...m/hin/index.htm
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#21 Illuminated One

Illuminated One

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

Hey Moonie,

Thanks for posting all the info. I loved reading it.... Have you seen the list of scanned books on Sacred Texts. Here is the direct link for Hinduism

http://www.sacred-te...m/hin/index.htm

Thank you Moon! I too enjoy reading your post. I believe Hinduism is beautiful! I have a picture of Baba on my alter. Along with statues of Ganesh, Kali, And Shiva. Incense, and offering bowl and many stones like Rose quartz, moon stone, peridot, azurite, labradorite, amethyst, carnelian green adventurine, red jasper, etc.

Again, thank you for post this thread. Very informative.

IlluminatedOne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users