• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cryptokiller

cryptokiller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

Well this Topic will probably only instantly appeal to the other Spellcasters on this site, but it should also prove interesting to those who are not active Magic Users, but wondering how we do what we do too.

I have often wondered what the best format for a Spellbook/Book of Shadows/Occult Journal would be.

Personally, I come from a Chaos Magic background, and between that and my somewhat Chaotic nature, I do not really have one. I have tried, but to be honest, it just never seemed to work for me, it seemed far too restrictive and time consuming.

But I do copy interesting information into word files and store them on my memory stick, collect loads of books on magical subjects and run them through with highlighters to pick out the useful paragraphs, and scribble little things on lined paper that I may need later. I also keep a Journal of sorts, though only in times of stress, as it helps me to collate my thoughts.

I know that Keeping ones Spellbook and Journal is a large part of certain Magical disciplines, but even those allow for a reasonable amount of freedom in how you do it, and with that in mind I would definitely be intrigued to hear what format everyone has become comfortable with over the years.

cryptokiller
London
UK

#2 Palimpsest

Palimpsest

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

I used to have these gorgeous glue-bound hardcover journals, but they're too pretty to write in, so instead I keep my notes in a small ring binder so I can tear some pages out and throw them away, or rearrange them without tearing, and scribble without feeling guilty (as I do feel guilty when scribbling on thick creamy glue-bound paper.) Word processors are a little too cold for me, and can't really be there with you all the time. I really want to get a digital dictaphone, though (well, I have one... but it isn't compatible with my computer so I can't upload the sound files and if I'd known that then I would've just gotten a tape recorder) -- it takes a while to get used to the sound of one's own recorded voice, but I think it's the best combination of the moment-capturing value of tiny notebooks and technological convenience. Of course, there's so much information that comes in text rather than podcasts and those would take too much trouble to read out, so for that reason I'd keep the pen-and-paper journal with the pasted xeroxes and printouts or scribbled phrases/citations.

Edited by Palimpsest, 26 July 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#3 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:48 AM

Palimpsest,I also have lots of very pretty blank books that I always ment to use as a book of shadows, but somehow I end up doodling in them or leaving them blank . . ..
I think the three ring binder is a good idea. In fact a friend of mine wanted to do a craft project one day to decorate a couple of them . . .er anyway, it's a good idea and I'm wishing I had thought of it years go. lol
sorry, mind's wandering a bit tonight.
(What is it about well organised people, all these good idea's)
I like to have things printed out where I can see them, they are more real to me that way.

Cryptokiller I have a question for you. (I know this is off topic )What do you mean when you use the phrase "Chaos Mage" ? Just curious.
My cat is weirder than your cat. -bumpersticker

#4 cryptokiller

cryptokiller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

I used to have these gorgeous glue-bound hardcover journals, but they're too pretty to write in, so instead I keep my notes in a small ring binder so I can tear some pages out and throw them away, or rearrange them without tearing, and scribble without feeling guilty (as I do feel guilty when scribbling on thick creamy glue-bound paper.)

Palimpsest,I also have lots of very pretty blank books that I always ment to use as a book of shadows, but somehow I end up doodling in them or leaving them blank . . ..
I think the three ring binder is a good idea.

I went through a period recently where I searched high and low for the 'perfect' book to be my Spellbook, and I must have spent a good 50 on beautiful, but ultimately useless books that cost so much that I felt way to guilty to write in them anyway. Indeed, I spent ages agonizing over the concept, without realizing that the magic was within the Mage, and not in their notebook.

A folder seems to be the way to go, and is quite close to the 'loose leaf' system that I use (for 'system' read: big stack of lined paper and assorted books with post-it notes and highlighters ran through them), so I can definitely relate to how you both work.

Cryptokiller I have a question for you. (I know this is off topic )What do you mean when you use the phrase "Chaos Mage" ? Just curious.

Oh boy, A quick way to explain Chaos Magic.

Hmmm... Imagine a School of Magic that is made up of all the other Schools of Magic, but only the bits that are relevant to the actual Spellcaster themselves. If something works, they go with it, and if it don't they discard it and move onto the next idea without any particular concern. Kind of like they are on a voyage of personal discovery through the different 'worlds' of magic. They can use Wicca one day, and Shamanism the next, with a little bit of Summoning or Angel Magic on the side.

And for me personally, the idea of having access to as many Magical tools as possible, but without having to pay any homage to the Deities or take any notice of the hierarchy of worship involved is even better, as I am far too much of a 'lone wolf' to want to worship anyone.

I suppose that, despite my protests otherwise and reluctance to admit to it openly, I am still a Chaos Mage even now, even if I don't go in for the more 'organized' form of that School of Magic that I am seeing championed elsewhere on the Internet, and remain fiercely independent in my thoughts and beliefs.

cryptokiller
London
UK

#5 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

I have a small, plain hardbound journal. My problem is, I don't always *remember* to use it. The temptation is to wait until you see how the spell works before committing it to paper---and I don't know how it is, but it seems to be that a part of putting my energy into a spell that works involves, or results in, a kind of amnesia about the details of what I did. At most I might remember one ingredient of an incense used or something like that, but otherwise, once the thing is done, my mind is a complete blank on it. So if I don't remember to write all down before I try it, it's gone for good. Frustrating to say the least! I've only got two spells in it, only one of them worked at all and neither was among my most effective.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#6 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

Yosei,

I suggest having two books: the first is for things you haven't tried yet and the second for the spells that worked.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#7 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yosei,

I suggest having two books: the first is for things you haven't tried yet and the second for the spells that worked.

That actually makes perfect sense---I can't believe I didn't think of that in the first place!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#8 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Art, books, creative writing, ghost stories, animals, working on my house.<br />I've been interested in ghosts for years now and have quite a collection of ghost stories, however not very many of them have happened to me. I have only a handful of personal experiances.<br />

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

I used to have these gorgeous glue-bound hardcover journals, but they're too pretty to write in, so instead I keep my notes in a small ring binder so I can tear some pages out and throw them away, or rearrange them without tearing, and scribble without feeling guilty (as I do feel guilty when scribbling on thick creamy glue-bound paper.)

I think the three ring binder is a good idea.

I went through a period recently where I searched high and low for the 'perfect' book to be my Spellbook, and I must have spent a good 50 on beautiful, but ultimately useless books that cost so much that I felt way to guilty to write in them anyway. Indeed, I spent ages agonizing over the concept, without realizing that the magic was within the Mage, and not in their notebook.

A folder seems to be the way to go, and is quite close to the 'loose leaf' system that I use (for 'system' read: big stack of lined paper and assorted books with post-it notes and highlighters ran through them), so I can definitely relate to how you both work.

Oh boy, A quick way to explain Chaos Magic.

Hmmm... Imagine a School of Magic that is made up of all the other Schools of Magic, but only the bits that are relevant to the actual Spellcaster themselves. If something works, they go with it, and if it don't they discard it and move onto the next idea without any particular concern. Kind of like they are on a voyage of personal discovery through the different 'worlds' of magic. They can use Wicca one day, and Shamanism the next, with a little bit of Summoning or Angel Magic on the side.

And for me personally, the idea of having access to as many Magical tools as possible, but without having to pay any homage to the Deities or take any notice of the hierarchy of worship involved is even better, as I am far too much of a 'lone wolf' to want to worship anyone.

I suppose that, despite my protests otherwise and reluctance to admit to it openly, I am still a Chaos Mage even now, even if I don't go in for the more 'organized' form of that School of Magic that I am seeing championed elsewhere on the Internet, and remain fiercely independent in my thoughts and beliefs.

cryptokiller
London
UK

Thank you for the explination. I call that the "caffiteria plan" and operate similarly. :P
I have never been comfortable letting a group of other people . ..how can I put this with out sounding strange . . .I've never been comfortable belonging to a group of people in order to define who and what I am. Make sense?

Anyway, I think my friend and I are going to do our craft project with the three ring binders. That seems to make the most sense. Goodtopic, sorry I keep wondering off. :clap:

#9 cryptokiller

cryptokiller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:27 AM

I have never been comfortable letting a group of other people . ..how can I put this with out sounding strange . . .I've never been comfortable belonging to a group of people in order to define who and what I am. Make sense?

Heh, I understand more than you'd think. I've always been the same, way too individualistic to conform, be it in my general day to day life or my Magical one.

Must drive certain self important practitioners of more organized Magical Religion's mad, people like us playing with their toys without paying heed to their Deity's and hierarchy's.

What a shame eh?

cryptokiller
London
UK

#10 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

Heh, I understand more than you'd think. I've always been the same, way too individualistic to conform, be it in my general day to day life or my Magical one.

Must drive certain self important practitioners of more organized Magical Religion's mad, people like us playing with their toys without paying heed to their Deity's and hierarchy's.

What a shame eh?

cryptokiller
London
UK

Yeah, it's tragic, people doing their own thing and having their own thoughts, methods and opinions. We're the reason the world will end you know.

LOL. Sorry about that, I know sacrasm doesn't always translate wll through text and I was bring sarcastc. :Spaz:

Yeah, I follw and believe what I do because I wanted to find my own path and I get very frustrated when I have people tell me "well you are doing it wrong" or "people who do it this way are wrong" (Just for the record I have NEVER had that happen on this board)
I wish folks would just relax about the whole thing.

#11 cryptokiller

cryptokiller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

Yeah, it's tragic, people doing their own thing and having their own thoughts, methods and opinions. We're the reason the world will end you know.

Really?

I always though it'd be giant radioactive hamsters.

Who knew?

Yeah, I follw and believe what I do because I wanted to find my own path and I get very frustrated when I have people tell me "well you are doing it wrong" or "people who do it this way are wrong" (Just for the record I have NEVER had that happen on this board)
I wish folks would just relax about the whole thing.

Oddly enough, neither have I. I'm getting quite attached to the folks here - they've become kinda like my Coven in a weird way, even though I never wanted to be a member of one in the first place.

And I mean that in a good way of course.

Nice to have some like minded people around for a change, and even better that they don't seem to have some kind of fixation on doing things the 'right' way either...

Cryptokiller
London
UK

#12 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

The "best" depends on the person. There is no perfect format. Some people keep them on computer, some people in a 3-ring binder, some in a diary format. Mine are like a diary with dated entires and all. So they are all mixed up and I don't have a separate section for spells, beliefs, etc. I actually wrote an article on this not too long ago.

My friend wants one to look like in "Charmed" (TV show) so she stains regular printer paper with coffee and then after it dries she irons them flat, and runs them through the printer. She prints off things she finds on the internet and does medieval clipart and a medieveal style font so that the book looks centuries old.

My article (you don't have to register or sign up to read it) How to Create a Book of Shadows

Edited by seakla, 31 July 2007 - 02:20 PM.

Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#13 MysticalSprite

MysticalSprite

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Walks on the beach, icecream, swimming, running, camping, rock climbing, rappelling, scuba diving, animals, ghosties.

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

I like the idea of the two books for those that work and those that don't. I presently have mine in a single tome, which only contains those spells that have worked in the past. If a spell does not appear to work, I try to go over why it didn't, and then come back to it again in the future. If it fails 3 times, I don't try again. I give it 3 chances in case it's me that is not casting it properly at the time. The problem with keeping them on your computer is that if the power goes out, or your computer crashes, you are without them.
Even a small star shines in the darkness. - Old proverb

#14 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

The "best" depends on the person. There is no perfect format. Some people keep them on computer, some people in a 3-ring binder, some in a diary format. Mine are like a diary with dated entires and all. So they are all mixed up and I don't have a separate section for spells, beliefs, etc. I actually wrote an article on this not too long ago.

My friend wants one to look like in "Charmed" (TV show) so she stains regular printer paper with coffee and then after it dries she irons them flat, and runs them through the printer. She prints off things she finds on the internet and does medieval clipart and a medieveal style font so that the book looks centuries old.

My article (you don't have to register or sign up to read it) How to Create a Book of Shadows

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed reading your article.

#15 Bluemooncat

Bluemooncat

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:07 AM

I always though it'd be giant radioactive hamsters.

Shhhhh, we're not supossed to let on that we know . . . :wave:

Edited by aloha_spirit, 02 August 2007 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)