114 replies to this topic

#1 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:32 AM

Here's one for ya, right off the news section on Yahoo.

http://story.news.ya...ommunion_denied

What do you all think about this one?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,975 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:44 AM

now....... if they are too much intrested in getting her into the religion, what is wrong with a little wheat afterall? Where does the belief go?

..... and if the condition is so bad, why would the religious authourities defy nature and insist?

double edged sword, eh?

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:29 AM

Hmmm.

I do think the Vatican really ought to be able to make exceptions in cases like this, where it's a serious matter of health, such as this little girl has.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:48 AM

Well...
I kinda agree w/Moon...

They will turn those who have medical reasons away from their faith...But hold on to those who abuse children?

Okay...Okay...
Too much for me to even try to figure out!

little light
"You only get 1 shot!"

#5 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:59 AM

This is one of the stupidest things I ever heard.  No wonder I despise the Catholic Church.  As far as the host being "the body of christ" where in the New Testament does it say that Jesus' body is made of white flour?  I hope the end of this church is near, it no longer serves any purpose.
petunia4998

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:55 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are some very harsh words, and very disrespectful to members of GV who are Catholic or have Catholic families....such as myself.

Oh, and dying out?  Sorry, you REALLY don't get your little wish.  There are over 1,058,069,000 people practicing Catholisim in the world today.  

It also show that you clearly have no understanding of the theology behind the Catholic Mass.

Please apologize.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

First off, let's cool down a bit.  Do not say anything against another's religion you wouldn't want said of yours.

The Catholic Church is the oldest existant Christian Church.  It still serves a purpose.

As to the issue at hand, I feel the bread and wine are mere emblems.  It doesn't matter which substances are actually used - as long as the ceremony is performed with the Lord's sacrifice in mind.  The spirit of the law, right?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#8 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:25 PM

My friend says that the girl should be happy! If she did anything that was against the church in the future, she could end up with a messed up life. I do not have anything to say except that they must not really care if they would not take an exception especially if life threatening.

#9 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

It's wrong, but the problem she has is relatively new and most people have never heard of it let alone understand it.  I've heard about it but not that they tiny bit of wheat in a wafer would cause severe damage, mainly what I understand is that it is a problem in large amounts.  Yes,the priest dropped the ball but it is going forward. I think part of the problem was they went around the parish priest.  Maybe they should have went to the bishop first instead of priest hunting, and of course the media has a field day on it.  We can't expect all people to know all things about every possible medical condition out there.  Oh and how is a priest going to hold out one or two wafers every week for someone who may or may not be there, when they're are a hundred or so others in line for communion.  Even if it was an easy thing to do it would make an obvious exception to that family which is not what mass is about.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

My friend says that the girl should be happy! If she did anything that was against the church in the future, she could end up with a messed up life. I do not have anything to say except that they must not really care if they would not take an exception especially if life threatening.

When I was a practicing Catholic, I did plently of things that are against Church doctorine and law.  And I'm far from messed up, and my life is far from messed up.

Any "messed up" things about a person's life, they should look within to find the cause and solution rather than blaming family or religion.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:26 PM

I dunno, from what I understand of the condition, small amounts can be damaging, but the effect doesn't show itself until it accumulated- which it would if every week she had to eat a small amount of wheat.
I understand that communion is all about a conection with God, with Jesus and with those around you - but if she was unable to partake of any form she'd be even more excluded than if she had rice wafers.  And for all we know the church is small and she is a part of a small, closely nit community.  I remember the mass I went to, it was in relatively large town, and there was only the one catholic church in the whole town- granted I'm in england and catholicism isn't one of the biggest religions, but the whole affair was certainly small enough to grant special help to those that needed it.  And I think that if the girl and her mother felt the need to bring this to the attention of the worlds media then they are quite devoute.  They could have simply left the church in disgust, or decided not to practice actively, I bet it would have been easier.  But they didn't and so appear committed to their faith.  And if this pair can't understand why changes can't be made then I can only assume that their preist, the preists around and the bishop and all those others higher up they'll have contacted couldn't explain to them sufficiently why.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#12 BooBooKitty

BooBooKitty

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

This is why I have a problem with organized religion. I don't think God would have a problem with this little girl after all he/she made her.  As the saying goes God don't make no junk. Those people are really pathetic to do that to a child.

#13 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:48 PM

I just went to the CDC's website and this condition is not even listed
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

With regards to why the host must contant some wheat in it.

http://www.newadvent...then/05584a.htm

"The first element is wheaten bread (panis triticeus), without which the "confection of the Sacrament does not take place" (Missale Romanum: De defectibus, sect. 3), Being true bread, the Host must be baked, since mere flour is not bread. Since, moreover, the bread required is that formed of wheaten flour, not every kind of flour is allowed for validity, such, e.g., as is ground from rye, oats, barley, Indian corn or maize, though these are all botanically classified as grain (frumentum), On the other hand, the different varieties of wheat (as spelt, amel-corn, etc.) are valid, inasmuch as they can be proved botanically to be genuine wheat. The necessity of wheaten bread is deduced immediately from the words of Institution: "The Lord took bread" (ton arton), in connection with which it may be remarked, that in Scripture bread (artos), without any qualifying addition, always signifies wheaten bread. No doubt, too, Christ adhered unconditionally to the Jewish custom of using only wheaten bread in the Passover Supper, and by the words, "Do this for a commemoration of me", commanded its use for all succeeding times. In addition to this, uninterrupted tradition, whether it be the testimony of the Fathers or the practice of the Church, shows wheaten bread to have played such an essential part, that even Protestants would be loath to regard rye bread or barley bread as a proper element for the celebration of the Lord's Supper."

So you see dearest Petunia?  Obviously you didn't grasp the whys and wherefores.  Did you think that Catholics and the Catholic Church were so freaking STUPID as to think that the host contains wheat because Jesus did?  Dang girl, I didn't spend a year preparing for the Sacrament of Holy Communion back in Catholic School to grow up thinking Jesus was made of wheat.  How DUMB do you think people are?

I'm sorry everyone, but that post still has me steaming.  I'll let it slip past now.  :)

I do still think that the Vatican, being the central body of the Catholic Church, should look into this new medical condition and make certain exceptions to preserve the health of their followers.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 03:16 PM

http://www.csaceliacs.org/

Info on the disease the little girl has.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users