Communion Denied

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#106 sunny641

sunny641

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:19 PM

since when does one man have the biblical right to tell people they cannot commune with God that they be denied the right that are given to us by our creator.

#107 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:52 PM

The answer to that depends on who you ask sunny.  :)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#108 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,975 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:16 PM

lol@VampChick. afterall it is all relative, right?

Welcome to GV, Sunny! Enjoy the stay!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#109 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:38 AM

since when does one man have the biblical right to tell people they cannot commune with God that they be denied the right that are given to us by our creator.

Alright sunny...I have to be honest here.  I'm not exactly sure in what context your question is in.  Could you clarify it slightly?  Are you referring specifically to the article about the little girl who was told her Communion didn't count because of the fact that her condition resulted in a Host made from rice flour?  Because if that's the case, well, lets all face it.  Most religions do have certain rules and guidelines where rituals are concerned.  I and others have posted articles, links and explainations regarding the reasons behind the Catholic Church's current insistance on the Host containing some wheat in it's making.  

However, this is not to say that they should not or cannot make an exception in some cases.  The mother of the girl has gone to Cardinal Ratzinger, who is the Grand Inquistor (NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!  oh...sorry...that just popped in there...lol) to try to resolve this issue.  He's the one they should go to, since it's his job to oversee the Catholic Church's rituals, sacraments, masses, theology and dogma....and if anyone is going to approach the Pope with the request for an exception in the case of a practicing Catholic who has a disease that forbids them the consumptin of any form of gluten (such as wheat) and allow them to participate in Holy Communion fully with a host made of rice, then he's the man.  

Frankly, I think an exception might well be made.  

But if that is the whole context of your question sunny, well, as I said, each religion, each faith has guidelines regarding it's practice.  And who is to say if any is right or wrong?  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#110 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

Well, it would seen to me that if God can change unleavened bread and wine by transubstantiation, then God SHOULD be able to do the same with one made of Rice right? He ate that type of bread because thats what was served to him. Thank goodness the last supper wasn't at Chuck E Cheese or communion might be done with garlic bread.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#111 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

ROTFMFAO@Mykiedave....
Posted Image

#112 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:14 AM

Holy Garlic Bread...guarenteed to keep the vampires at bay!

:)

But I think you might be on to something Mykiedave...

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#113 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:19 PM

Just food for thought.;D

Seriously though, if the act of prayer is what signals the transmogrification of the wafer and wine into the body and blood, then it shouldn't MATTER what they are made of if you truely BELIEVE they have indeed been transformed by the power of prayer.

Or it could be that I spent too long in bible college. :)
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#114 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 05:47 PM

Logically, I think you are right.  If the priest that gave her First Communion with the rice flour host had placed that host in the same area as the standard ones, and it received the same blessing as the others, then it would actually have undergone the Transubstansiation.  Making the ingredients a moot point.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#115 honeybeary

honeybeary

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Reading, walking, hiking, photography

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:26 PM

I'm ctholic and I think its really sad that the church would denie this child communion because of a diesease, its just wrong in any way
What doesn't kill us makes us strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users