• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:25 PM

I was just thinking about that? What if there is no god(or gods depending on your religion)? or what if there is more then one god? This no meant to offend anyone just merely interested in what your response be.  I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any god or gods, but on the other hand most of ancient history has show multiple gods and goddesses. Why the sudden(in the course of Earth's life) switch to a single being?

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,975 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:38 PM

God - is THAT power that governs the basic functioning of the Universe!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:39 PM

um..what?

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,975 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:43 PM

the multiple entities that were worshipped were to channelize the different faucets of this single power. and certain sects of people carried on worshipping each of these creating "all" these gods - but in reality GOD is just ONE!

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#5 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:45 PM

Well said moon

#6 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:30 AM

I agree with Moon on this one. Maybe I should convert to Hinduism? lol. Anyway, you generally have these types of believers (or non-believers as the case may be in some situations). 1. One God, supreme over all others 2. One God with many faces 3. Many gods 4. No God (atheist)5. There's a God but not so sure which one and not I'm not particularly going out of my way to worship him/her (agnostic) lol. If I left out anything or just plain said it wrong, be sure to fill in, but I think I covered the major sources of belief here.

I'm curious to hear from atheists and agnostics. Lets say there is no god. My knee-jerk response to this would be that without a god, we lose faith, without faith, we lose a reason to believe in any kind of afterlife, without belief in the afterlife, we lose the reasons we have to live our life completely. I mean, if I didn't have faith in something greater than myself, I would end up saying well what's the point. If we're all just going to be buried in the earth, rotting away after this because there is nothing else and nothing higher to believe in, then I'm not sure I could find a reason to do what I'm meant to do in this life. That's my knee-jerk reaction, anyway, the very first thing I think of when I consider the possibility of there not being a god.

I, however, would really like to hear from others who don't believe in God. What do you find faith in? What makes this life worth living if you feel there's nothing in the "beyond"? I always love questions like these because they really give you a glimpse into other belief systems and what makes people tick! lol.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#7 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:21 AM

Perhaps if we removed God, and/or gods from reality or our beliefs, I think we as humans could still come up with a solid psychology to try and succeed and lead a happy, self-oving and caring life.  If we use emotional states as a gauge for how happy or how "calm" our death state will be, then a person would want to strive for happiness, peace, and a guiltess life.  I think that a less troubled mental state = higher frequency = bliss.  In a general, crude description.  I think self worth, self love, and loving of others still plays a crucial role in a person well-being. And ultimately, will keep you from becoming a specimen for a ghost hunter, heheh.

Just my crude, generalized take on that topic. :)
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#8 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:08 AM

The only thing I can come up with for why we even have a belief in God is because at the moment the human brain  was able to percieve the idea of heirarchy, humans have tried to figure out the 'what/who' is 'above' us.  We have continually proven to ourselves that if we can imagine 'it' we can make 'it' become reality or that 'it' exists.  Of course, the question of why are we here comes into play and let's not discount human's egos;  the idea that we just die in the end doesn't sit well with our self importance. I think the biggest problem we grapple with is the conscious.  If survival of the species is the name of the game then why do humans possess a conscious?  Where did the conscious of right vs. wrong come from and why?  If there is no greater existence for us then why bother with right and wrong?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  Or is the answer to morals and consicious just a mechanism at work to keep each other alive -as we all know, groups fair better than individuals-so as to propragate our species? But what is the reason for continuing to survive?

I think the idea of God is the result of our conscious.  
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#9 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:14 AM

Anasuya, here it is, straight from an agnostic's mouth:

I love life. I love being alive. Knowing (or at least pretty sure) there is no afterlife, why would I not enjoy the one chance I have to be alive? This is it. You only get one chance at life. There's nothing after death, so why not really savor your existence here on earth?

I don't get your viewpoint.

I consider myself agnostic and not aetheist not because I beleive there is a god not sure which one, but more like I would be happy to believe in a God if someone can prove it to me. I would LIKE to believe in God, I would LIKE to believe there is a heaven, and that there is life after death.

That's why I am in pursuit of what ghosts may be.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#10 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:30 AM

Very well said Bridget. As I said ealier, my statement was a knee-jerk reaction to the idea of life without a higher being. But, when I stop and think about it, I would like to believe that we, as human beings, can enjoy life itself, and the opportunity to live it, without the need of some diety to validate our existences. I chose to believe in a high power. Wether or not exists remains to be seen, but neither can it's existence be disproven. So, the chose to believe offers me something that the choice to disbelieve wouldn't offer me. Actually, I commend you for being able to hold this view without the belief in God, because it means you VALUE what you have without the fear of death and the afterlife (Heaven or hell) making you value it. lol. Which sadly is the case SOME of the times (there are exceptions to every rule of course). Thanks for sharing.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#11 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:33 AM

Ya know, it's impossible for anyone to prove which diety exisits, be it the God of Christians, the God of Islam, the God of Judaism...etc, etc.

It's like I tell folks sometimes.  The only one single way to know for sure, without a doubt, staring at you in the face, is to die, your soul to leave your body and move on to whatever it is that's beyond here.  Be it Heaven, Paradise, the Summerlands or whatever other term you have for it.  Then we'll know.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#12 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:36 AM

Well I do value life alot Anasuya. But I am VERY afraid of death. Not because I fear going to hell, LOL, but because my pea -sized brain cannot comprehend the ceasing of my own existence. It's like trying to figure out if there is an end to the universe, or what infinity really means.

I just cannot imagine not being able to think anymore, that's what scares me.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#13 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:36 AM

Now if only we could come back to tell everyone ELSE what we've discovered about God and the afterlife. lol. Maybe we should ask a ghost! Sylvia Brown often covers this subject, as do Jane Roberts and a few other mediums. There answers as to which God is the "right" God is usually vague, to say the least. Good point, Vampchick.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#14 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:38 AM

Yep.  Vamp's right.

Bridgie!!!  So glad to see you!  

See!  It would be nice to be able to extract myself from philosophical thinking and just be able to say, I'm here and I'm just going to enjoy the ride.  But then I start thinking and well, you know....... ::)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:45 AM

My friend's ex-husband was a 'born-again' Christian, and one of those fire-and-brimstone, highly hypocritical ones that gives other Christians both a bad taste in their mouth and a bad name to non-Christians.  You know the type.

Anyway, in one of the few religious debates I permitted him to start with me (generally I would change the topic, and I figure he'd have tried even if I had remained Catholic), I dared him to prove to me, beyond a doubt, that his version of God was the true God.  

Frankly, I stumped him.  Because it's impossible to do.  He proved that he believed in his God (even if he was a hypocrite...'do as I say, not as I do'), not that his version was the 'true' one.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users