• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#1 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:47 PM

Do you think it's okay for children to pray in school?

What about Churches getting tax-exempt status?

If there is supposed to be a separation of Church and State, why are these things, and many others, allowed to exist?

I don't particularly have a problem with prayers in school, so long as we can openly pray to ANY god.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#2 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:48 PM

great points ana

#3 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:00 PM

Its supposed to be there is no State Sponsered Church like the Church of England in England, from that point on it gets hairy...as to tax-exempt status most churches perform charitable functions and get exemptions just like a woman's shelter or food bank
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#4 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:04 PM

and the states don't plow there land

#5 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:46 PM

The term "separation of Church and state" does not appear in the constitution.  It is a concoction of the "supreme" court.  What actually is there is that the state will not promote one religion over another.  This definately does not mean that God is to be purged from all our institutions. :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#6 dodiebird

dodiebird

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:46 PM

I dont have kids but I have several nieces and nephews that are in school. I firmly beleive that prayer should be allowed in school. I will respect anybodys beliefs and they should respect mine.If you dont want your child to pray in school fine ,that is your right. But a child who beleives in God  should also have the  right to express his beliefs in Prayer.

#7 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:51 PM

i agree it should be a moment of silence

#8 dodiebird

dodiebird

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

I agree, that way everybodys beliefs can be respected at the same time.

#9 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

8)yep

#10 Lamuris

Lamuris

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:ghosts demons anything paranormal

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:11 PM

All very good points. I too believe that prayer is fine, as long as everyone can decide to participate or not. Tax exempt status is fine too as long as it applies to "all" churches, covens, etc with over a certain amount of adherants.    

#11 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:13 PM

great points everyone..wow i thought ana would be opening a can of worms..however its just day one

#12 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

Do you think it's okay for children to pray in school?

What about Churches getting tax-exempt status?

If there is supposed to be a separation of Church and State, why are these things, and many others, allowed to exist?

I don't particularly have a problem with prayers in school, so long as we can openly pray to ANY god.

Ana

If there has to be any kind of prayer in schools, I think rather than a prayer that singles out and gives precedence to any one religion they should simply have a moment of silence, during which the kids can silently say their own prayers to the deity(ies) of their choice.  Although, to be truthful, I don't think that prayer has any place at all in schools.  If parents want their kids to pray in the morning, then get up a few minutes earlier than normal and lead the family in the prayer(s) of whatever religion you practice as a family.  Kids are in school to learn, it's not church.

As far as churches getting tax exempt status, I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere.  They need to pick a dollar amount and say that anything under that amount is not taxed, and anything over that amount is.  Your average neighborhood church doesn't make half the money that these mega-churches do, yet it's always the neighborhood churches that are helping out people who need it.  These churches that have congregations numbering in the thousands that pull in literally millions or even tens of millions of dollars a year really need to be investigated.  There's one in Missouri that has a woman for a preacher, and they make over 8 million dollars a month.  She lives in a 2 million dollar home, her kids all have huge luxurious homes, they drive uber-expensive cars, and even the spouses of her kids draw salaries from the church.  Something's not right here.  The purpose of a church is to bring people together to share in their faith, not to provide a cushy life for a preacher and her family who are taking advantage of the fact that her congregation will donate money to anything she tells them to, only to have most of it end up in her own bank account.

I feel exactly the same way that you do about the separation of church and state.  This country was founded on the basis of freedom FROM religion as much as freedom OF religion, however because the majority of the people in this country's government are Christian, Christianity manages to permeate our government.  It's certainly not fair that our country has fallen under the management of the Religious Right (fondly referred to by me as the Religious Reich) because their ultimate game plan is to have Christianity be "the official religion of the USA."

Elle

#13 Ectoplazzum

Ectoplazzum

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:17 PM

The term "separation of Church and state" does not appear in the constitution.  It is a concoction of the "supreme" court.  What actually is there is that the state will not promote one religion over another.  This definately does not mean that God is to be purged from all our institutions. ;)

This would work nicely if the state really DIDN'T promote one religion over another, however Christianity is all-pervasive in this country and it's not likely to change any time soon the way things are going.   :(

The Christian God doesn't have to be purged from all of our institutions, however it would be nice if other gods and goddesses got equal billing.

Elle

#14 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:30 AM

The Christian God doesn't have to be purged from all of our institutions, however it would be nice if other gods and goddesses got equal billing.

Elle

Why do you assume I am referring to a "Christian" God?  ???
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#15 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:39 AM

Some of you are objecting to the "tax exempt" status of Churches.  Why?  

The real question should be what divine right does "our" government have to tax OUR income?  There was not an income tax until around 1910 I believe.  Since then it has infiltrated almost every aspect of our lives.  I believe that each of us would be better at spending our own hard earned dollars than any government, might be a few less bombs produced too.  So I am not upset at all about "tax exempt" Churches  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users