• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:34 PM

This topic is for those who are involved in the religion of Wicca to post educational material for those who do not understand, and for people genuinely interested with real questions to ask. Knuckleheads and skeptics need not apply, as there is a skeptics thread already.
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#2 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:53 PM

Do Wiccans worship multiple Gods/Goddesses, or is everything in nature considered part of one God? Curious. :D

What is the Wiccan view of what happens when we die?
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#3 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:56 PM

In the beginning, the religion was simply called "witchcraft" because it was the craft of the witches. Gerald Gardner introduced the word, wicca as a fitting name for the religion. When a member of Gardner's coven - Alexander Sanders split off and formed his own coven (a group of 2-13 witches) and later his own tradition (Alexanderian), those two groups became the ones that most witches could trace themselves back to. Lineage is a big thing to SOME witches. There has been some strife in the witchcraft community, as with all religions there have to be some nit wits. Some witches say you cannot be a 'Wiccan' unless your lineage traces back to one of those two covens. The Ferrars in Ireland speak the same as I do on the subject. The word Witch, and Wicca have the same root word, and mean the same thing. Others will argue this til they are blue in the face, but I have spent 20 years of my life involved in this religion, and I am not going to buy into their elitist snobbery. A Witch is a witch. There is no distinction between a Witch and a Wiccan. I usually use the word Wiccan because it sounds less threatening to the regular folks, however I prefer the word Witch.

TBC............

#4 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:03 PM

Do Wiccans worship multiple Gods/Goddesses, or is everything in nature considered part of one God? Curious.   :D

What is the Wiccan view of what happens when we die?

My own view on this is that there is an all powerful being, that is neither male, or female, but is expressed in male and female. Hence, we are male and female humans.

Most Wiccans do worship with separate individual entities shown, but the idea is moot when in ritual the male and female aspects come together to form ONE.... The Great Rite is emblematical of this. In very strict traditions such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian, the Great Rite is the actual performance of sexual intercourse by the persons representing the God and Goddess. In others, the act is represented by the 'athame' or knife, being slowly penetrated by the person representing male diety into the cauldron which is held by the person representing the female diety... or "God and Goddess".

Wiccans have a view of death as going to the "Summerland", much as Christians believe in a "Heaven". Wiccans do not believe in Hell.

#5 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:16 PM

tkite,
you explained that very well. I must completely agree with what you said. (and i prefer witch instead of wiccan too)

To add more onto the belief about death and etc. I know most witches that i have meet believe in reincarnation also. That Summerland is the time between the reincarnation where the soul can rest before starting a new life.

#6 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:20 PM

That's right. Summerland is the dwelling place for all those who are resting up after their latest incarnation. Yes, witches believe in reincarnation. Thanks for the compliment Harmony.

:D

#7 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

fabulososo idea tkite.

question, where can i find information on the different kinds of wicca? beside gardnerarian and alexandrian.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#8 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

alsie,

The best book that describes all types of wicca is "Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft" by Raymond Buckland Appendix A (page 309 in revised book) has all the different types of wicca. As for website links, this link is pretty good if you're just looking for brief descriptions
http://www.paganpath.com/trad.html

enjoy!

#9 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:24 PM

Interesting. Is it a forever constant cycle of death, summerland, reincarnation, or does it lead to some ultimate end?

Would also like to know if Wiccans believe in Angels, or Demons and if so what is their purpose in interacting with humans?

Thanks
Flying
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#10 Wind of Light

Wind of Light

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Playing RuneScape is my number one hobby/interest now.<br />www.runescape.com

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:27 PM

no, i dont think Wiccans believe in demons, anyways, i dont and im wiccan...i think demons are something that people put in the bible for Christians, so they wont do bad things...remember this is only what i think about it......
-Du Súndavar Freohr-===================================--------------------------------------------Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink what comes out"?

#11 soul_drifter

soul_drifter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Many many things =D

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:07 PM

Most Wiccans do not believe in the devil, nor demons. As for angels..I guess its kind of a give or take, depending on how you interpet it.

As for the cycle, I think its more like...you die, and then in Summerland you have the choice to either stay there, or be reincarnated.

I like this thread tkite, not only does it give Wiccan information, but it can also get different aspects on the religion. Different people, different views :D
"Ignorance, the stem and root of all evil" ~PlatoWe have eyes, but do we see?

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:05 PM

All Wiccans are witches, but not all Witches are Wiccans.

Case in point.

Me.

I practice Witchcraft, in that I cast spells. I do not adhere to the Wiccan religion (my choice, nothing negative about it).

Wicca is a very specific faith system. There is a God and Goddess, however, they are simply the male and female aspect of one deity, and in the Wiccan viewpoint, all the different Gods and Goddesses are merely further expressions of the various personalities and sides of the One Deity.

Tkite... you said "Some witches say you cannot be a 'Wiccan' unless your lineage traces back to one of those two covens"

Another poster on this board named Ectoplazzum explained this far better than I could, in regards to what makes a Wiccan and what makes a Witch. From what she said, she's been involved in this for 31 years, so I'm going with what she said. Too much for me to reiterate here, but it can be found under the 'Initiation' thread. Chances are, you'll agree with her, since she's not putting anyone down, just explaining the difference.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:24 PM

All Wiccans are witches, but not all Witches are Wiccans.

lol I have heard this too many times. I am not going to argue this point. People who believe this are usually elitests. The two words cut to the same root meaning, no ifs, ands or buts about it and it is redundant to say "I am a Wiccan Witch". As well, another argument I have seen happen in front of my face, and everywhere else on the web, is that if you are self-initiated, you are a Witch, but can never be a Wiccan. More elitist talk. Me, I am self initiated, and don't mind one bit. Solitaries have as much right to call themselves Wiccans as do anyone else who practices either the Religion, the Craft, or both. Personally I like to call myself a Witch, but when approaching people I don't know I use the word Wiccan because it just sounds less 'wicked' lol.....

You can separate yourself if you want, but you're still a Witch, and a Wiccan to me Vampchick.... No difference in my book.

(By the way, I am not arguing with you lol just expressing my opinion on the statement)

Also, wanted to point out, that this thread was NOT my idea.... Who was it Flying Orbs?

It's a good one though!

;) :weeee:

PS: I am a Master Mason, and a Past Master of my Masonic Lodge. Many of the pieces in the Gardnerian degrees were borrowed from Freemasonry. Just a side note...... :)

#14 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:29 PM

I know that I am finding this thread fascinating!

So it is a choice to reincarnate, or to remain in Summerland. The Christian heaven is mentioned and described in the Bible. Are there any writings or thoughts on what is encountered in Summerland? What its like?

Is it possible to come face to face with your creator in Wicca?

Appreciate everyones patience in answering questions. ;)

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:48 PM

Ah, but Tkite....I am not Wiccan. Plain and simple. Period. Wicca is a religious system. Witchcraft is the art of casting magic. Wicca incorporates Witchcraft as part of its system, therefore all Wiccans are Witches. But since I do not adhere to Wicca as a religious system, I am therefore not Wiccan. I never even initiated myself into any of the Wiccan systems, of which there are many.

At a religious level, I practice Celtic Paganism. All of my deities are separate and defined beings. Not different aspects of One. I just happen to practice Magic from time to time is all.

In fact, let's further define the religious system I operate under, shall we?

http://www.imbas.org/imbas/index.html

Note however, that I am not a member of this group, although I lurk on their public discussion list. But this pretty much sums up what I try to do in terms of my religious practice.

Not Wiccan.

You can call me Wiccan till you are blue in the face. ;) Trust me that I am not, nor am I 'elitist'. Saying that all Witches are Wiccan is like saying all Christians are Catholic. Not true.

Remember, this is sooooooooo not me bashing Wicca. I have zero problem with Wicca. It's just not my personal religious practice.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users