• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#16 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:07 PM

lol you're nuts!

I know what you're saying....... you WITCH YOU lol

It's just if you translate the two words, they have the same root meaning. I asked Janet Ferrar a couple of years ago about it, just to make sure. She says they do, so I believe her.

Regardless, you are a pagan practicing witches craft... Well, you are not a witch or a wiccan either one then..... just using their tools lol

;)
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#17 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:13 PM

I never once denied that I was a Pagan practicing Witchcraft. I've been admiting it from day one. Again. Witchcraft - the art of casting magic. Wicca - religious system incorporating Witchcraft...hence the use of the word Wicca. Since it's a large part of what they do.

And yes, I am fully aware of the root of both words, Wicca and Witch. I read. ;)

I've no clue who Janet Ferrar is.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#18 soul_drifter

soul_drifter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Many many things =D

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:24 PM

Flying Orb, I think your kind of asking the wrong questions. Now don't get me wrong, they are great questions in general, but Summerland, reincarnation etc. is what you believe to be. Like someone once told me "Heaven is what you make it". So to answer your question, I ask another. What is Summerland (Or heaven, whatever you prefer) to you?
"Ignorance, the stem and root of all evil" ~PlatoWe have eyes, but do we see?

#19 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:52 PM

Flying Orb, I think your kind of asking the wrong questions. Now don't get me wrong, they are great questions in general, but Summerland, reincarnation etc. is what you believe to be. Like someone once told me "Heaven is what you make it". So to answer your question, I ask another. What is Summerland (Or heaven, whatever you prefer) to you?

Thanks, I understand. Just trying to form a frame of reference that relates to something I am already familiar with.

To me Summerland would be woods, meadows, clear rivers loaded with all manner of life to explore. Warmth and sunlight and interaction with those that love simple peace and a simple life. Friendships where you can be yourself and accept the same from others and no fences to keep others out.

LoL, Sounds like a plea to escape doesn't it? I certainly will not find a place like that in this life. Guess I just find the current religious baggage I am toting around unfulfilling and illogical.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#20 Audryna

Audryna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation- both scientific and psychic, Old Cemeteries, animals and wildlife rehab, Earth based Spirituality<br>The night time, and all of it's inhabitants

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:03 AM

Greetings All,
Very good thread, here.

I call myself a witch (others have called me much worse :)) if I use any title at all. My path is that of my grandmother who taught me. She is part Romanian and part Czechoslavakian and many of her beliefs stem from her upbringing, I guess the proper term for that is "pagan". I never really know what to answer when I am asked "what religion/spirituality are you?" People of Romany background are often referred to as gypsy. if you read Buckland, Gypsy is it's own tradition. I do practice magick and spell work. I am aware of karma and make judgments according to what is worth it to me. I observe the wheel of the year and tend to use the elemental energies more than the god/goddess energies, though I believe that both abound.

This could get quite lengthy, but that is my view in a nutshell so to speak. I doubt I fit snuggly into either definition 'witch or wiccan'

I'm just me :rolleyes:

I wish all of you the very best Samhain Blessings. Whatever your path is, may you walk it ever true to yourself.

Be Well,

Audryna

#21 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:47 AM

This is a great thread! I've been seeing people mentioning that they were Wiccan for a long time, but no one has ever come out to fully explain what it is.

I know there is a lot to explain, too!

So how does one go about inititating themselves to become Wiccan, and what made you decide to become Wiccan?
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#22 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:43 PM

So how does one go about inititating themselves to become Wiccan, and what made you decide to become Wiccan?

Oh so many things to talk about, i'll start off.

What made me decide to be a witch, well i guess i have been a witch for most of my life, i just never knew that was what it was called. I love nature and always felt apart of it. I had a cat named tiger who was my "familiar" when i was younger. He helped me through many hard times as a child.
When i was old enough to drive to the book store i sought out my religion. After going through the main religion section and finding nothing relating to what i felt i went to the New age section and discovered Witchcraft/wicca. After reading just one book about this religion I realized that this was what i had been feeling, the connection to nature, the belief in a male and female aspect of the divine, this was my calling. Ever since then i have been a witch.
As for how do you go about being initated, well one can go about that in many ways. I decided to dedicate myself to a specific god and goddess first. Basically this involves dedicating yourself to the path of wicca and telling the god and goddess that you are aware of them and you want to be apart of them.
I was initated into an Alexandrian/Gardenarian coven, (they have their own ritual for this and then i added in my own personal wording also, please see Bucklands Complete book of Witchcraft for an actual ritual). I recommend this book to anyone interested in the religion of wicca. Also "A Witch's Bible" by Janet and Stewar Farrar, and Silver Ravenwolf (sp?) has great books out there for interested people.
Right now i am at work so i can't really go into details about how i was initated, when i get home hopefully i will have some time to explain in more detail. And hopefully others will post too :weeee:

#23 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:46 PM

Thank you Harmony for trying to relate the details. I can't wait to hear more!

So would you sum up the basis of the religion as being at one with nature, and worshipping a male and female goddess? Are their a bunch of gods and goddesses or just one of each? And do they all revolve around things in nature?
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#24 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:51 PM

From what I've been told, the God and Goddess are the male and female aspects of One Diety (although an actual Wiccan might better explain it that this witchy Pagan....lol). So therefore, each Goddess (such as Isis and Diana) are simply further aspects of the Female Aspect, same with the Gods.

Whereas a Pagan generally sees each as a total and separate entity.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#25 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:05 PM

So would you sum up the basis of the religion as being at one with nature, and worshipping a male and female goddess? Are their a bunch of gods and goddesses or just one of each? And do they all revolve around things in nature?

From my beliefs and teachings a witch must believe that there is some sort of higher power up there. Lets call it The All. Humans can relate easier if they have a male and female aspect to represent The All. Hence god and goddess names developed. For example Greek mythology has many god and goddess aspects that all represent different aspects of life. You have the goddess of war (Athena), goddess of the hearth/fertility/love etc (aprhodite) etc. So each god and goddess represent different aspects in life and nature. I am heavily based in the Celtic traditions of gods and goddess'.
As for a definition of witchcraft, I will get back to you on that, i know one of my books has the best definition i have found so far. But it is heavily based upon nature.
This thread is fun, thanks for the idea flyingorb. :weeee:

#26 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

Usually, one first is just plain unhappy with the religion their parents decided was going to be their religion... Most of these are Christians (no offense to those who are Christian of course). Of course, that leads to bookstore 'haunting' by the teenager, or adult in question. In my case, I was around 12 and would go to the bookstore to just look around. I eventually found a few books on Witchcraft, not in the 'religion' section, but in the 'occult' section. That lead to more and more facination, and discovery that I felt very comfortable with what was presented. Back in those days, there wasn't anywhere near the amount of books you can find now. Initiating yourself is usually done through reading, and working with material presented by whoever wrote the book, who was initiated by a coven. More or less, self initiation came out of necessity, rather than something one wanted, as finding an actual coven with regular initiates is not very easy, even these days. Usually, people who are self initiated will eventually seek out and find a coven, and become regularly initiated. As for myself, I have not found a coven anywhere near me that I feel comfortable with. Picking a coven is a serious matter. Some, and actually most in my area who claim to be covens are more interested in throwing off their clothes and engaging in sexual activity and then using the blanket term 'witchcraft' or 'wicca'. This of course gives a bad rap to people who are actually engaged in real wicca/witchcraft.

From what I've been told, the God and Goddess are the male and female aspects of One Diety

This is what I believe. I try not to separate the aspects myself. Many however do, and I feel there is an overwhelming problem with different traditions leaning more on the "Goddess", and some, especially the Dianic tradition all but eliminate the "God" aspect (male). This is actually in effect, wrong, because Wicca is supposed to be a balanced religion. Ignoring one half is clearly un-balanced.

Sounds to me like Bridget (a female goddess by the way in Wicca) should take a closer look at Wicca/Witchcraft lol

:weeee:

#27 Whispers

Whispers

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

This is a great thread, I never could put into words why I called myself pagan. I actually was initiated into Wicca, but I never quite felt it was what I wanted exactly. I have bent the teachings I received and they now fit me.

#28 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:15 PM

Hi Whispers..... You're right, the teachings are very flexible, and that is a really nice aspect......

:weeee:

#29 Audryna

Audryna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation- both scientific and psychic, Old Cemeteries, animals and wildlife rehab, Earth based Spirituality<br>The night time, and all of it's inhabitants

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:37 PM

This is a great thread, I never could put into words why I called myself pagan. I actually was initiated into Wicca, but I never quite felt it was what I wanted exactly. I have bent the teachings I received and they now fit me.

Yes whispers, as Tkite said, the flexibility is a very wondeful part of this all and I have done the same as you have - and now it fits!. To me, it does revolve around nature and her cycles quite alot. ( I believe Bridget touched on this) Sometimes I can see the whole process in the life of one plant - A seed in the womb of the earth. It grows green and lush. It produces a flower or fruit. It grows older and the flower or fruit falls to the earth. The plant may die completely back, but the seed stays within until born again and thus the life cycle renews it self. (we also have the yearly cycle, the moon cycle and the cycle between a single day and night, etc.)
An example of the life cycle - birth, death, rebirth - seems to be right before my eyes, which is comforting because it helps to confirm what I believe, that the soul is ever existant no matter what becomes of the body. I have never been really good with blind faith. I like seeing the life around me echoing what I belive to be the circle of all things. I find this path comforting as well as balancing, and empowering.

Blessed Be,

Audryna

#30 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

This is what I believe. I try not to separate the aspects myself. Many however do, and I feel there is an overwhelming problem with different traditions leaning more on the "Goddess", and some, especially the Dianic tradition all but eliminate the "God" aspect (male). This is actually in effect, wrong, because Wicca is supposed to be a balanced religion. Ignoring one half is clearly un-balanced.

Sounds to me like Bridget (a female goddess by the way in Wicca) should take a closer look at Wicca/Witchcraft lol

I agree, I never found such traditons as Dianic to be fully balanced, and Wicca always struck me as being equally balanced, which is why so many women are attracted to it. But to push aside the male aspect is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction and they won't gain the benefits of the religion as it was created.

Oh, and Brighid (Bridget) is actually a Celtic Irish diety, she is the Goddess of healing, poetry and smithcraft. So you as a Wiccan Tkite, would see her as a further aspect of the Goddess, whereas I as a Celtic Pagan see her as a single Goddess among many Gods and Goddesses. And a Catholic would see her as a proper saint (but all that is for a different thread if you ask me)

She's also my Matron Goddess. :)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users