Witchcraft

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#31 Audryna

Audryna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation- both scientific and psychic, Old Cemeteries, animals and wildlife rehab, Earth based Spirituality<br>The night time, and all of it's inhabitants

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:46 PM

Hi Bridget,

You have probably heard all of this before but there is a festival for the Goddess Brigid, (Imbolc) It is a very iteresting and lovely occasion. (Feb 2nd??? I think)

In reguards to your name:
The name Bridget is the Christianization of the pre-Christian goddess (Brigid) name. Her name is taken to mean "Power," "Renown" and "Fiery Arrow of Power."

http://www.realmagic...es/07/1807.html

Blessings,

Audryna

#32 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:59 PM

I should start a second thread for just this....but I always felt that the Goddess Brighid and Saint Bridget were two separate Bridgets. In otherwords, I've always felt that there was indeed a Christian woman in Ireland, likely in the Kildare area, who took Holy Orders and became an Abbess in the 5th or 6th century.

Over the centuries, because the abbey she ruled was in the same general area that was held as sacred to the Goddess Brighid (all variations of the name Bridget stem from the name of the Goddess, hence very possible for a Christian Irishwoman then to have that name), her story became blended in parts with stories of the Goddess.

And frankly, I don't think either of them mind at all.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#33 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.
    I sing the national anthem a few times a year.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

a little about Imbolc since we're' all talking about Brigid.

Feburary 2nd is Imbolc, also called Candlemas. Imbolc means "in the belly.' It is the quickening of the year, the first stirring of Spring (in some countries) in the womb of Mother Earth.
the Moon is the light symbol of the Goddess and this is the celebrating of when the days get longer, hence we get more light. The moon above all stands for her threefold aspect of Maid, Mother, and Crone. Lunar light is particularly that of inspiriation. So imbolc is the feast of Brigid, the triple gooddess, who is also a fertility bringer. And Imbolc is not only the quickening of the earth, but also of our spirits and bodies. (somewhat quoted by Janet Farrar) quotes work better for me since i'm not very good with words :)

#34 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:24 PM

Ok. Call me ignorant.

But who the FRELL is Janet Farrar? I don't recall seeing any of her books in my neck of the woods if she's an author.

And here's a nice Imbolic ritual. It's a Celtic Pagan one, so it may be different from what Wiccans would do on that day.

http://www.imbas.org...olg_ritual.html

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#35 Audryna

Audryna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigation- both scientific and psychic, Old Cemeteries, animals and wildlife rehab, Earth based Spirituality<br>The night time, and all of it's inhabitants

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:28 PM

I should start a second thread for just this....but I always felt that the Goddess Brighid and Saint Bridget were two separate Bridgets. In otherwords, I've always felt that there was indeed a Christian woman in Ireland, likely in the Kildare area, who took Holy Orders and became an Abbess in the 5th or 6th century.

Over the centuries, because the abbey she ruled was in the same general area that was held as sacred to the Goddess Brighid (all variations of the name Bridget stem from the name of the Goddess, hence very possible for a Christian Irishwoman then to have that name), her story became blended in parts with stories of the Goddess.

And frankly, I don't think either of them mind at all.

This subject has always been of interest to me Vampchick. I really need to do some research on the dates etc. I have always thought that St. Bridget was a way to bring the "pagans" into the flock , so to speak. That the story of the Goddess Brigid was brought into the church in the form of St Bridget to bring in a familair aspect to the people the church wanted to recruit.

I know that's biased towards my pagan beliefs, though.

In either case, they are both extraordinary and worth learning more about.

and I agree that they don't mind!

Blessings,

Audryna

#36 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:29 PM

That's one school of thought, one that I don't agree with....obviously. :) I'll have to open a new thread for this.....lol

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#37 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:56 PM

Sometimes I can see the whole process in the life of one plant - A seed in the womb of the earth. It grows green and lush. It produces a flower or fruit. It grows older and the flower or fruit falls to the earth. The plant may die completely back, but the seed stays within until born again and thus the life cycle renews it self. (we also have the yearly cycle, the moon cycle and the cycle between a single day and night, etc.)
An example of the life cycle - birth, death, rebirth - seems to be right before my eyes, which is comforting because it helps to confirm what I believe, that the soul is ever existant no matter what becomes of the body. I have never been really good with blind faith. I like seeing the life around me echoing what I belive to be the circle of all things. I find this path comforting as well as balancing, and empowering.

Blessed Be,

Audryna

Thank you Audryna, your insite helps me understand the essence of your belief structure. It rings true.
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#38 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

LOL Vampy.....

Janet Farrar..... Widow to the late Stewart Ferrar, the husband and wife Witch couple from Ireland......

They have been around since 1970. Ol' Stewart knew what he was about, he was probably 20 years older than Janet the ol' coot! haha Janet is alive and well, living in Ireland with Gavin Bone and they still have a good coven going over there too.

"Janet and Stewart Farrar were initiated by Alex and Maxine Sanders in 1970 while they were still resident in London, England". That's THE Alex, of the Alexandrian Tradition, which came out of Gardnerian......

Here is the Web Site for Janet Farrar and Gavin Bone:

http://www.wicca.utvinternet.com/

There is also an online Book Of Shadows that some of those reading this thread who are not Witches will more than likely find interesting. Note, that both Alexandrian and Gardnerian members are Skyclad only. Personally, I prefer a cloak. Besides skyclad is too distracting to me and I get cold easy!

:) :P :weeee: :weeee: :weeee:
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#39 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:12 PM

I guess I've spent more time, in terms of Pagan Studies, focusing specifically on Celtic Studies (as in....tomes created for archeology and anthropology students) than I was looking at books regarding specific Wiccan traditions, hence my ignorance on poor Janet.

I've also spent way too much time reading books focusing on the early days of the Christian Church.

No time for the Alexandrian tradition! :P

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#40 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:21 PM

Oh yeah....... Look under "The Arts" on the Farrar site, and there are ancient ruins etc..... picture and all.... bet could find some spooks there !

:)
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#41 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:23 PM

Worship Me All, Wiccans! St. Bridget or Birghid! hahaha! (My mom's Swedish cousin was named Birghid)

I am "Power," "Renown" and "Fiery Arrow of Power." But not that fertile.

Wish it were true! heeeheee I find this thread so intriguing!

To me, St. Bridget was a Swedish Saint, have to look that up.

In actuality, my name was bestowed upon me by my 17 year old brother when I was born, he named me after Brigitte Bardot, heee hee.

I am really liking this Wiccan thing.....

Hey I thought Pagans didn't believe in Gods, amd I wrong?

I know I have Irish, Scottish and Welsh heritage, but have not proven it yet. At least that's what my dad tells me. On my mom's side I am all Swedish.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#42 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Music (all kinds except country), Witchcraft (mainly celtic but interested in everything). I love learning about all different types of religions.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:28 PM

But who the FRELL is Janet Farrar? I don't recall seeing any of her books in my neck of the woods if she's an author.

Dont worry you're not ignorant. Janet and Stewart Farrar are very popular Alexandrian/Gardenarian witches located in Ireland. Theyare among the first authors that started writing about wicca and published a book of shadows with the help of Doreen Valiente and Gerald Gardner's original book of shadows.

#43 Lilacgirl

Lilacgirl

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Lots and lots...here are some of my favs.....<br>Singing (music in general) and dance, gardening, travel,<br>reading, learning and exploring the known and unknown

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:45 PM

This is a GREAT thread!

I've always embraced all people's beliefs and never subscribed totally
to any one in particular, even though I am a VERY spiritual person!
I've spent a good amount of time in the town of Salem throughout
the years. I've always wanted to learn more about Wicca. Thanks
for all the information.

#44 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:25 AM

Hey I thought Pagans didn't believe in Gods, amd I wrong?

Very wrong.

:lol:

We Pagans believe in multiple Gods and Goddesses.

If a person doesn't believe in God(s), then they are Athiest, not Pagan.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#45 Harmony1215

Harmony1215

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

very true vampchic.

pagans believe very much so in gods and goddesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users