My haunted cottage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcsd67

mcsd67

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hello all, I'm new here and thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's personal experiences. I have had several over the years but quite a few since moving into my little cottage last August. Some history of the house as related from my neighbor whose family are long time residents: the house was once one of the housing quarters for workers that built the Hotel del Coronado in 1888. Most were torn down after the hotel was built but some were then moved to other locations on the island, mine being one of them. It is now located about a mile from the hotel as a back alley house to the larger front property.

When I moved in I just knew something or someone was here. I love the paranormal and often seek it out, even done a few novice ghost hunts at the Hotel Del and other places around town, so maybe I was seeking something here. The first morning in the house I woke up to a loud crash at 6am and jumped out of bed. Going into the living room I noticed a candle holder with glass vases attached had fallen off the entertainment center onto the floor and shattered everywhere. Attributing it to my 2 cats I went back to bed with the intention of dealing with it after a little more rest. I woke up a couple hours later and went to clean up. I was still unpacking and had stacked my DVD's on top of the entertainment center directly in front of the candle holder. The way it had fallen was directly in front of the entertainment center yet the DVD's were not disturbed, so if the cats had done it, it would have fallen off the end, not the front, or the DVD's would have fallen as well.

One morning I woke up to feed the cats, anyone with cats that whine know there's no getting around it! It was 5am and I fed them and went back to bed. A couple hours later I got up and went into the kitchen and the freezer door was wide open. I went to close it and noticed things had started defrosting so it had been open for awhile. I thought maybe when I put the leftover cat food in the fridge it had somehow caused the freezer to open, so I slammed the fridge door several times, jumped up and down on the floor, and tried everything to make the freezer open to no avail. The only thing that happened was it would slightly lose a seal then immediately close again. The floors are uneven and even when it is open it closes itself due to gravity.

One night I was in the living room watching TV and heard a noise in the kitchen. I leaned over and looked in and noticed my silverware drawer was open. The drawers and cabinets are very old and the drawers are not on rollers. To open them takes a lot of effort and makes a lot of noise so this was pretty interesting!

Finally, I park out back and come in and out my back door (laundry room). I came home after being out of town overnight and immediately went to bed. In the morning I went out front to check the mail and when I came back into the living room I noticed a large picture that had been hanging on the wall was propped up against the wall directly under where it hung. If this picture had fallen it would have been lying down on the floor but it was as if someone took it off the hanger and placed it there. I hadn't been in the living room in 2 days!

This all happened in the first few months of living here and now it's been very peaceful. I do hear noises like banging which I know aren't the cats, as they are near me when it happens, but I attribute it to settling or animals (I've seen possums around). I get the feeling it's a male and don't feel any negativity at all, just some playful pranking on his part! Just wanted to share and get some opinions

#2 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Interesting stories. Sounds like you have a friendly ghost hanging around. Most of the things happening are very typical things that ghosts do. I grew up in a haunted house and since have had many paranormal experiences. I know your feeling of the freezer door being left open by itself. Doors don't open by themselves.. I was having that exact thing happening in my home every night and always at the same time. I actually saw it open all by itself. When I finally set up a camcorder to capture it, it did not happen, go figure.. My sister used to live in CA and now lives in NV. She went to the Hotel Del and had a weird experience there. She said she went to a bar in the hotel with her husband in the early evening, had a couple of drinks and had a long conversation with the bartender etc.. all was well.. no one else was in the bar also at that time. They had such a nice relaxing time and enjoyed speaking with the bartender that they went back the second night they stayed there. The only problem was that they tried to find the bar and it did not exist... They described the bartender to the hotel staff and he did not "exist"... She was really freaked out by the experience there and has since bought many books to read about the history of it. She actually sent me a book on the Hotel Del and I have yet to read it.... I think I will crack it open tonight..
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#3 mcsd67

mcsd67

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

My sister used to live in CA and now lives in NV. She went to the Hotel Del and had a weird experience there. She said she went to a bar in the hotel with her husband in the early evening, had a couple of drinks and had a long conversation with the bartender etc.. all was well.. no one else was in the bar also at that time. They had such a nice relaxing time and enjoyed speaking with the bartender that they went back the second night they stayed there. The only problem was that they tried to find the bar and it did not exist... They described the bartender to the hotel staff and he did not "exist"... She was really freaked out by the experience there and has since bought many books to read about the history of it. She actually sent me a book on the Hotel Del and I have yet to read it.... I think I will crack it open tonight..

GhostCat, I actually have heard that story before, ironically from the bartender at the "real" bar there, Babcock and Storey. They have great although pricey martinis there! You should definitely read the book. It's a very interesting story about the resident ghost Kate Morgan. As far as my house goes I actually haven't had anything major happen in several months and kind of miss it! One of my girlfriends who is also interested in the paranormal is always asking me if something new has happened. If you're ever in San Diego you should definitely check out the Hotel Del and the Whaley House in Old Town. I've had several experiences at the Whaley House but that's a whole other post.

#4 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

Curious... what similar stories happened with the "bar that did not exist".. My sister was really freaked, she is not one to believe in the paranormal.. she is a CPA and a very intelligent woman..
Lol.. She was stunned and called me and said " you have to come out here to The Del"... I live in Massachusetts and I have a fear of flying, otherwise I would be there in an instant..
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#5 mcsd67

mcsd67

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Curious... what similar stories happened with the "bar that did not exist".. My sister was really freaked, she is not one to believe in the paranormal.. she is a CPA and a very intelligent woman..
Lol.. She was stunned and called me and said " you have to come out here to The Del"... I live in Massachusetts and I have a fear of flying, otherwise I would be there in an instant..

I actually heard the exact same story as you described so if your sister did not relay the story to anyone at the hotel then maybe others have experienced the same thing? He also said he was closing the bar one night and no one was around when he looked up and saw a man wearing period costume and a hat walk towards the restaurant, Sheerwater, that is adjacent to the bar. He went after the man to tell him the restaurant and bar was closed only to have him disappear in front of him! This all came without prompting from us for info. I grew up in Coronado and as teenagers we would play around the hotel often, but now we act as guests and roam the hallways taking pictures around Kate Morgan's room. Nothing in pics, but my friend felt as she was tripped one afternoon in the hallway around the corner from that room. She fell to the floor and shouted out so some maids came out from their housekeeping room wondering what happened. When I told them she tripped, the first thing out of their mouths was "was it the ghost?". I don't like to call attention to the fact that we aren't guests, so I played dumb, and they told me that the hotel is definitely haunted and they will only clean the room in pairs! My friend was completely freaked out and wanted to leave immediately. She only stayed because the rest of us insisted on checking out if there were bumps in the carpet or something else to explain her fall. She said it felt like someone stuck their leg out and she literally fell forward onto her hands and knees.

As far as your fear of flying, I am a flight attendant and come across many with that fear. I assure you there is nothing to be afraid of, it's just the loss of control that most fear. I hope one day you make your way out west as there are many great sights to see, not just the haunted locations! I, myself, would love to come explore more of the historic East Coast sights. I love historic places, especially if tied with paranormal activity!

#6 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

I finally got a chance to talk to my sister. She never relayed what she experienced to anyone at the hotel. She wanted to get home fast and call me. I was the first to know, and she probably told some close friends. Spooky to think others shared the same experience of visiting a bar that did not exist and speaking to a bartender from perhaps long ago.. It must have been fun for you as a teenager to live so close and go exploring there, lol, I would have done the same thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users