• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan300

Spartan300

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:48 AM

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I was born a Catholic but I have never really believed in God so I became an Atheist. Atheism, however, left a spiritual or philosophical gap in my life. Then, a few years ago, I started reading Meditations by the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius. His writings provided me with great strength and comfort and I decided to become a Stoic

Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy, founded by Greek philosopher Zeno of Citium (333 BC - 264 BC) in Athens, and which became popular throughout Greece and the Roman Empire. Stoicism teaches the development of self-control, fortitude and detachment from distracting emotions; the philosophy holds that indifference to pleasure or pain allows one to become a clear thinker, level-headed and unbiased. A primary aspect of Stoicism involves improving the individual’s spiritual well-being.

Virtue, reason, and natural law are prime directives. By mastering passions and emotions, Stoics believe it is possible to overcome the discord of the outside world and find peace within oneself. Stoicism holds that passion distorts truth, and that the pursuit of truth is virtuous. The four cardinal virtues of the Stoic philosophy are wisdom (Sophia), courage (Andreia), justice (Dikaiosyne), and temperance (Sophrosyne).

Greek philosophers such as Cleanthes, Chrysippus, and later Roman thinkers such as Cicero, Seneca the Younger, Marcus Aurelius, Cato the Younger, Dio Chrysostom, and Epictetus are associated with Stoicism.

Stoicism became the foremost popular philosophy among the educated elite in the Greco-Roman Empire, to the point where, in the words of Gilbert Murray, "nearly all the successors of Alexander [...] professed themselves Stoics."

The word 'stoic' has come to mean unemotional or indifferent to pain, because Stoic ethics taught freedom from passion by following reason. But the Stoics did not seek to extinguish emotions, only to avoid emotional troubles by developing clear judgment and inner calm through diligent practice of logic, reflection, and concentration.

Are there any others who follow Stoicism here? Also, those who are not Stoics, please feel free to comment on it. I am curious to see what others think.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for sharing the information, this is the first time I am coming across Stoicism.
Posted Image

#3 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

I had not heard or it either. Thank you for sharing. It was very enlightening!
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#4 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

THanks for the info. I am not a Stoic, but I didn't even know it was considered a religion or life path. Thanks for sharing!
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#5 Guest_Rinyotsu_*

Guest_Rinyotsu_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

I must say, I feel that a large chunk of my life follows somewhat with that of Stoicism, even though I am not of the religion or any other religion than that of my own. But I thank you for introducing me to Stoicism.

#6 Spartan300

Spartan300

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

If anyone is interested in reading up on and possibly taking up Stoicism, I would recommend that you read either Meditations by Marcus Aurelius or Letters from a Stoic by Seneca the Younger or both. There are other books as well. Stoicism, I think, is in the beginnings of a revival. I hope this topic might help it along.

#7 DeadWatch

DeadWatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for sharing the information, this is the first time I am coming across Stoicism.

I'm with Moonie on this one...never heard of it till now. Sounds interesting and I will be looking into it more. Got any websites to study?
Todd BanksFounder/DirectorThe DeadWatch SocietyPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Willem

Willem

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:50 AM

I am not a stioic but I have been introduced to stoicism via different historical studies(I.E. Marcus Arelieus)..

#9 2012leo

2012leo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I was born a Catholic but I have never really believed in God so I became an Atheist. Atheism, however, left a spiritual or philosophical gap in my life. Then, a few years ago, I started reading Meditations by the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius. His writings provided me with great strength and comfort and I decided to become a Stoic

Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy, founded by Greek philosopher Zeno of Citium (333 BC - 264 BC) in Athens, and which became popular throughout Greece and the Roman Empire. Stoicism teaches the development of self-control, fortitude and detachment from distracting emotions; the philosophy holds that indifference to pleasure or pain allows one to become a clear thinker, level-headed and unbiased. A primary aspect of Stoicism involves improving the individual’s spiritual well-being.

Virtue, reason, and natural law are prime directives. By mastering passions and emotions, Stoics believe it is possible to overcome the discord of the outside world and find peace within oneself. Stoicism holds that passion distorts truth, and that the pursuit of truth is virtuous. The four cardinal virtues of the Stoic philosophy are wisdom (Sophia), courage (Andreia), justice (Dikaiosyne), and temperance (Sophrosyne).

Greek philosophers such as Cleanthes, Chrysippus, and later Roman thinkers such as Cicero, Seneca the Younger, Marcus Aurelius, Cato the Younger, Dio Chrysostom, and Epictetus are associated with Stoicism.

Stoicism became the foremost popular philosophy among the educated elite in the Greco-Roman Empire, to the point where, in the words of Gilbert Murray, "nearly all the successors of Alexander [...] professed themselves Stoics."

The word 'stoic' has come to mean unemotional or indifferent to pain, because Stoic ethics taught freedom from passion by following reason. But the Stoics did not seek to extinguish emotions, only to avoid emotional troubles by developing clear judgment and inner calm through diligent practice of logic, reflection, and concentration.

Are there any others who follow Stoicism here? Also, those who are not Stoics, please feel free to comment on it. I am curious to see what others think.

incidentally I subscribe a lot to these principles, by accident though. I'm agnostic.
"I disagree with fluffymongering"

#10 edelweiss

edelweiss

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy reading sword and sorcery books, golfing,watching t.v.,learning new things about almost anything,and of course spending time with family and friends.<br /><br />I recently started running and working out to get myself into better shape, but that is hard because I am not a healthy eater.

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

I have never heard of Stoicism but would like to learn more because it sounds quite interesting to me.

>>>Keep your head up.<<<~2 Pac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users