• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to the paranormal,secret societies,fast cars, busty women, human behavior, reading, painting, art, magic/magick(high or low),withchcraft/wicca,candles and hot tubs. Just ask, if you are curious and want the truth, not what you want to hear.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

I've had time to make more visits to a lot more Civil War battlefields,since last noted, and it seems the one things all the battlefields and some of the near-by towns is the evidence of "paranormal activity". Things from "solid apparitions", just showing up, vanishing, walking through walls, you just name it.To "voices", minus the bodies, sounds of battle,screams, yells, a lot of which can be understood and whether the last soldier who spoke them wore blue or gray. from New Orleans to Vicksburg,throughout the South, all over Virginia, as far north as Gettysburg, PA.It is suggested that to have life jerked away from one suddendly might leave the effect of the deceased not knowing they were dead or not wanting to leave the scene of their demise, along with about 9 or 10 others theories as to why they were still "around". We'll look at the 3 most outstanding later.

#2 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

I was at a civil war battle field in West Virginia, don't exactly remember the name but it was a river crossing but it was also up on a cliff. It was very cool felt weird things every so often there but not much though.
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#3 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to the paranormal,secret societies,fast cars, busty women, human behavior, reading, painting, art, magic/magick(high or low),withchcraft/wicca,candles and hot tubs. Just ask, if you are curious and want the truth, not what you want to hear.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Well, the main one that comes to mind is Harper's Ferry aand the ghost of John Brown but that really isn't a battlefield, so I'd have to do some reading to speak exactly. Darn thing about battlefields, some are ative all the time, like Gettysburg, Sharpsburg, Fredricksburg, or Vicksburg, others seem to come and go, to that I have no explanation, just some theories like a lot of other folks but it happens. Why it does, now there you have me stumped. Thanks for the comment.Always welcomed.

Edited by BLACK SHUCK, 07 April 2011 - 09:04 PM.

#4 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

This one I believe was named after one of the commanders there. It's on the west side of the state. First time I ever heard of it was when I went there, so its not one of the major ones. I can try and find out the name and post it latter. But anyways where I had the feeling of not being alone was in the woods by the field.
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#5 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

Ok the name of the one I was at is Carnifex Ferry.

#6 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

Ok the name of the one I was at is Carnifex Ferry.

Carnifex Ferry  Other Names: None

Campaign: Operations in Western Virginia (June-December 1861)

Date(s): September 10, 1861

Principal Commanders: Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans [US]; Brig. Gen.

John Floyd [CS]

Forces Engaged: Brigades

Estimated Casualties: 250 total

Description: Learning of Col. Erastus Tyler’s rout at Kessler’s Cross

Lanes, Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans moved three brigades south from

Clarksburg to support him. On the afternoon of September 10, he advanced

against Brig. Gen. John Floyd’s camps at Carnifex Ferry. Darkness halted

several hours’ fighting. The strength of the Union artillery convinced

Floyd to retreat during the night. Floyd blamed his defeat on his co-commander

Brig. Gen. Henry Wise, contributing to further dissension in the Confederate

ranks.

Result(s): Union victory.

#7 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thaanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, as so few do take the time , it is appreciated.

#8 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

No problem I love stuff about the civil war.

#9 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

#10 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

[quote name='BLACK SHUCK' date='Apr 7 2011, 09:24 PM' post='558721']
I've had time to make more visits to a lot more Civil War battlefields,since last noted, and it seems the one things all the battlefields and some of the near-by towns is the evidence of "paranormal activity". Things from "solid apparitions", just showing up, vanishing, walking through walls, you just name it.To "voices", minus the bodies, sounds of battle,screams, yells, a lot of which can be understood and whether the last soldier who spoke them wore blue or gray.

Think this will remove any reference to the previous cited battlefields

#11 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

Wanted to share another WV Haunted Civil War Battlefield...one that doesn't really get a lot of attention, and is unceremoniously the current home to a gas station here in the Teays Valley area. From Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State:

The site of the 1861 Battle of Scary Creek is along the Kanawha River near St. Albans...where old Teays Valley Road meets US Route 35, just inside the Putnam County border.

In short, this brief skirmish, led under George Patton (and then by Gen. Albert Jenkins after Patton was wounded) was a great and needed victory for the Confederates' morale.
However, the battle was not without its fatalities, and the people in the area were left to hastily bury the fallen soldiers before the summer heat took over.

Three weeks after the battle, the first signs of the area being haunted were reported. Local residents reported hearing the telltale sounds of a battle, so lifelike, that they rushed to the scene, thinking another confrontation was taking place.

Such sounds were reported for years, accompanied by reports of seeing strange lights hovering over the battlefield, and sightings of a Confederate soldier off in the distance. Today, these reports are scant, as the area has grown up considerably in population and commerce. What remains as a reminder are two signs...a concrete one hidden down from the new bridge, erected by the DAC, and one erected by WV's Historical Roadside Markers program.

An account of this battle can also be found in the book The Battle of Scary Creek : Military Operations in the Kanawha Valley, April-July 1861 by Terry Lowry. For more information, see THIS LINK.

And....if there are any reenactors or general public coming to Guyandotte, WV this November for Guyandotte Civil War Days, once again HPIR's Haunted and Historic Guyandotte Tours will be leading FREE haunted history tours of the town's most haunted Civil War era sites. Guyandotte Civil War Days celebrates the November 1861 siege, then burning of this former Union recruitment camp.
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#12 Katelush

Katelush

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

I would believe most battlefields would be haunted. Just think about all that fear and emotions when battles begin and then all the deaths that take place. It's no wonder these places are very haunted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users