39 replies to this topic

#1 nadinek

nadinek

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hi everyone,
I saw an episode of montel williams in which sylvia brown was guesting... I think it was last week. anyway, in it she said - along with a lot of her other kooky stuff- that you never meet your soulmate here on earth- I suppose by that she meant its only on the "other side" that you meet them. Just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys thought of it. For me, I always thought I had already met my soulmate so that contradicts what she says??

#2 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Hi nadinek,

First off, the term “soul mate” has many different meanings to many different people. As with all unexplained things, I would hesitate before putting a definite label on it before it is completely understood, which it may never be. A lot of people like to put definite definitions on things of this nature and consider those definitions universal law. But, for the whole human population, how can we do that without actually knowing the true nature of soul mates, etc? It is perfectly reasonable that we each have our own personal beliefs on these things, though. It’s when our own personal beliefs on these matters are projected onto the whole of humanity that problems and confusion can arise.

In my own beliefs, soul mates are not necessarily lovers. Soul mates could be a wonderful and close friend, a very close family member, a lover, even a pet, etc. etc. I believe people can have many soul mates in a life time or just one. It simply depends. That’s just my belief, though. And, other people would probably disagree completely with me. Many people don't believe in soul mates, at all. That is what I meant by saying above that projecting our own beliefs on things of an unexplained nature onto the whole of humanity can lead to problems and confusion.

As far as Sylvia Brown saying that you never meet your soul mate here on earth, if she did not explain exactly what she meant by that statement, she is being too vague. It could mean many different things to many different people. It could mean heaven, limbo, the spirit realm, etc...all vague and unexplained things. Of course, as I stated above, there are people who have very succinct definitions to these particular ideas, as well. But, the essence of these ideas are still unexplained to us mortals, in my beliefs.

I think it all boils down to our individual beliefs. Sharing our beliefs is good, but we should be hesitant to state our beliefs as law, particularly with beliefs pertaining to things of an unexplained nature.

If you feel you have already met your soul mate, then WONDERFUL. You feel you have and that fits with your beliefs and your life. So, how can that be wrong? It doesn’t matter what other people think, really. It is what you yourself believe in accordance to your own existence. :clap:

Just my thoughts.

:clap:

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 30 September 2006 - 08:17 PM.

#3 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

You know, I saw that same episode and I also wondered what she meant. A soulmate is definitely not just a romantic partner. I believe a soul mate is just someone with whom you have karma. I think she had more to say about that topic and I'm sorry she didn't. However, I'm sure she'll be writing another book about that subject, lol.
petunia4998

#4 DeadWatch

DeadWatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:16 PM

I guess when she meant soulmate what she really meant was 'soul' mate...lol...a little paranormal humor there!!!
Todd BanksFounder/DirectorThe DeadWatch SocietyPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 erna_butter

erna_butter

weird ancient from the medieval times

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Art (any kind), computers, paranormal, forensics, psychology, and of course fantasy books, and history.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:38 AM

I would have to agree with Viv on this one....I myself, consider two people in my life my soulmates...but in 2 different terms.

I have my husband, who was also an amazing freind of mine for over ten years....and my nephew, who opened my eyes through a tough time and both have shown me what true love really is...again in different ways.

the term soul mate can be put in many terms, I guess it just depends on what you feel and go by, but of course what matters is how you feel about it...if its right for you then great
Posted Image I A.M CANADIAN

#6 nadinek

nadinek

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies... I already know a soulmate can mean more then just a romantic partner, but I think in the context it was used by between slyvia brown and the guest it was meant more to be of a romantic partner type soulmate because the guest... a young lady, stood up and asked sylvia brown when am I going to meet my soulmate... and hence her reply with not meeting them in this world... so the lady rephrased with when am I going to meet the right man. But thinking about it again, maybe slyvia brown did just mean "soul" mate the literal translation, she is kooky enough to go in that direction, LOL.

Edited by nadinek, 01 October 2006 - 02:56 PM.

#7 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

I used to like Sylvia Browne, but to me lately, she seems much more interested in selling books on Montel than actually telling people the truth about things. Just my opinion. I have seen a few shows where she didn't seem to be very helpful to people. She also claims that ghost and entities can't hurt you. I saw an episode where a young lady said she was being tormented by an entity and Sylvia told her to go seek psychological counseling. I've seen people get slapped and scratched by ghosts, so I don't understand where she gets this idea from.

I very much believe that soul mates do find each other on earth, whether they are friends, family or lovers. And not all lovers are soul mates. I have a few soul mate that I have encountered in this lifetime. Some of them are still in my life, others are not. My closest soul mate is not currently in body, but is acting as my spirit guide.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 heavenlee

heavenlee

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, psychic awareness, angels, mediums, old grave yards any graveyard.lol! I hate ufo paranormal it scares the jibes out of me.

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:27 PM

Well, i would like to think i wake up besides my soulmate every day. As far as Sylvia..i agree she seems to be quite a sell out lately. Books , books , and more books. all the same. On Montel she seems to get so agitated to te guests lately, it doesnt seem like shes that helpful either. She should be out trying to use her gift ..as God intented. Find missing children, help solve crime.~Hlee
Dont be afraid of the dead its the living you should fear!Posted Image

#9 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

My soulmate was always in my dreams, fate put us together once by chance ( to be lost) and then another time by chance (to be found) and we are now married and living happily ever after.

When I hear soulmates mentioned, I just don't know what to think, just my own experience. If this isn't true a true soulmate story, I am not sure what is.

When I was a teenager, I lived in a small town which was boring and my friend and I would always ride our bikes 13 miles to Newburyport, Ma (where I live now). We loved to go there on weekends, there were so many festivals and such a quaint seaport community. One weekend, we rode our bikes and as we were crossing an intersection on a country road, my chain came off my bike. We tried and tried to fix it but couldn't. A man had just come home and pulled into his driveway and came over to help us. He went back in to find some tools, fixed my bike, and off we went. Many years later, I was a realtor in the same town. One of the first houses I went to for sale was at the spot where my bike broke down. I told a coworker about what happened, and she told me that "Bob" in our office used to live in that house. Finally, one day I had the nerve to ask him about it. He remembered it as clear as me, he was the one that fixed my bike.

We were meant to be, we were the best of friends right away, and it was if we had known each other forever.
I don't think I felt like we new each other from a previous life though. LOl, from our home where we live now, we can look out our front door and see the spot where fate put us together.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#10 nadinek

nadinek

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

My soulmate was always in my dreams, fate put us together once by chance ( to be lost) and then another time by chance (to be found) and we are now married and living happily ever after.

When I hear soulmates mentioned, I just don't know what to think, just my own experience. If this isn't true a true soulmate story, I am not sure what is.

When I was a teenager, I lived in a small town which was boring and my friend and I would always ride our bikes 13 miles to Newburyport, Ma (where I live now). We loved to go there on weekends, there were so many festivals and such a quaint seaport community. One weekend, we rode our bikes and as we were crossing an intersection on a country road, my chain came off my bike. We tried and tried to fix it but couldn't. A man had just come home and pulled into his driveway and came over to help us. He went back in to find some tools, fixed my bike, and off we went. Many years later, I was a realtor in the same town. One of the first houses I went to for sale was at the spot where my bike broke down. I told a coworker about what happened, and she told me that "Bob" in our office used to live in that house. Finally, one day I had the nerve to ask him about it. He remembered it as clear as me, he was the one that fixed my bike.

We were meant to be, we were the best of friends right away, and it was if we had known each other forever.
I don't think I felt like we new each other from a previous life though. LOl, from our home where we live now, we can look out our front door and see the spot where fate put us together.

Wow, so he worked at your place and you never approached him before?

#11 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

Wow, so he worked at your place and you never approached him before?
[/quote)

It was my first week working there, I didn't know anyone and it was the first caravan (tour of new listings) I had been on. It took a while for me to ask him about it, as I did not know him. I also did this part time when I was teaching, and he was hardly ever there because he was an engineer at the time, but trying to get so many hours experience in real estate, as he wanted to start his own company some day. We have our own home business as real estate appraisers right now. I tried to keep the story short and simple, but we have also had run into each other many times in life. We bowled in a bowling league for years at the same place, same night, but his league was at one end and my league was at the opposite end. It is so weird, just to stop and think about it, something kept putting us together. My house that I grew up in and his house he grew up in (that he later owned when his parents passed away, that is the house my bike broke down in front) were both on the same street, even though 2 towns away. I really haven't heard a story like this about any other couple, so I am not sure what to think, but it had a happy ending, and he always jokes when I go out for a bike ride not to let my bike break down in front of someones house, lol, and it never has since that one time.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#12 fishguts

fishguts

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

Well, i would like to think i wake up besides my soulmate every day. As far as Sylvia..i agree she seems to be quite a sell out lately. Books , books , and more books. all the same. On Montel she seems to get so agitated to te guests lately, it doesnt seem like shes that helpful either. She should be out trying to use her gift ..as God intented. Find missing children, help solve crime.~Hlee

I agree, my wife is my soulmate. Always has been, always will be.

#13 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:17 AM

I, like many other people on here, believe that the term 'soul mate' has different meanings for different people. I have not perfected my own opinion on the subject, but other people have fantastic examples and their own definations that I know mine is not needed lol

And on Sylvia Brown, I love most of her opinions, but with every idea other people have on such a subject as the paranormal, I take it with a grain of salt. Some things she says are so true in my opinion and uncanny when compared to what I think, and other things she says are so out there all I can do is take that grain of salt lol But she does seem to be a bit of a sell-out as of late.....sad for her :ghost:
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#14 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

Viv has some really good points. As for Sylvia, I tend to agree. I loved what she had to say at first and it was all new to me. The more information I received on the paranormal, life after death etc etc, it really is a matter of opinion and what she said was not the "be all end all" anymore. I used to like listening to her talk radio show on-line but now it seems as though she hardly mentions the subject matter promised and instead promotes her book and lectures the whole time with inbetween people asking her left and right who thier spirit guides are. I really have to cringe when she tells people about what to check on with them medically. "Get your pancreas checked" etc etc. I really hope she is on the mark and not sending these people on a wild goose chase. She once said that she didn't believe fairies existed and insisted they didn't until she saw one for herself. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Is she really an authority on everything unexplained?
Food for thought.
Sorry if I am getting off the subject

#15 MaryCeleste

MaryCeleste

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Martial arts,Cryptozoology,TheParanormal,Singing,<br />Animal Rights,Art,Weightlifting,History,Magic/Illusionsists,Buddhism

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

Viv has some really good points. As for Sylvia, I tend to agree. I loved what she had to say at first and it was all new to me. The more information I received on the paranormal, life after death etc etc, it really is a matter of opinion and what she said was not the "be all end all" anymore. I used to like listening to her talk radio show on-line but now it seems as though she hardly mentions the subject matter promised and instead promotes her book and lectures the whole time with inbetween people asking her left and right who thier spirit guides are. I really have to cringe when she tells people about what to check on with them medically. "Get your pancreas checked" etc etc. I really hope she is on the mark and not sending these people on a wild goose chase. She once said that she didn't believe fairies existed and insisted they didn't until she saw one for herself. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Is she really an authority on everything unexplained?
Food for thought.
Sorry if I am getting off the subject

I read a book about reincarnation a while back..
It says that there are three types of soulmates.

Soulmates that are lovers/partners are reffered to as 'twin flame soul mates'.

It also says that theres an instant attraction between the two of you..as if you recognize eachother.
It says the feeling is always mutual(which I've obviously never found yet,hehe)
A wave doesnt have to die to become water,it's already water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users