• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

I just want to know what everyone thinks of the emf readers. Does anyone here think they actually detect the presence of a spirit or think they are a total rip-off? I personally would never buy one, i just go with my instincts and I don't need some expensive machine to tell me if there is a high energy field. I know most people can just feel the presence of a spirit and don't need jumpy needles to tell them.

#2 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

An EMF reader does just that - reads electro-magnetic fields. These fields are produced by a myriad of things including anything electronic and (to a significantly lesser degree) humans and other animals.

Any area should be read at least twice to see if a field is static (most likely wires or appliance) or dynamic. EMF readings should not be the sole evidence to determine if a locale is haunted, but they can back-up our own "hunches". I would suggest using an EMF reader on investigations (be sure to keep track where video cameras and other equipment are to avoid false positives).

If you can't afford a real EMF reader, then use a compass.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#3 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:00 AM

I haven't purchased an EMF reader yet. When I do, I only plan to use it on outdoor investigations. They are very sensitive and I don't trust 'em inside with all of the wires and whatnot. I think it would be best to use a compass indoors for the same data purposes. :ghost:

#4 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

I have an EMF meter in the equipment bin but I personally never use it. I have a chill that runs down the spine and tells me when I am in the presence of a spirit. I think that EMF meters should never be used to provide paranormal evidence. By saying that a needle jump was evidence is not a very sound idea. What I do think they are great for is guiding where you take a picture or point a video camera. If you get a jump that you can find no source for...shoot a picture. If it is paranormal, you may get a shot or you may capture a good video. Kind of like using a compass in the woods. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend them at all.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:47 PM

I think their best use is when you are stationary. Set the sensitivity so that anything entering the room will set it off. Course, even when stationary you have to realise that turning something on elsewhere in the house might energize a circuit near you and give a false positive. :ghost:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#6 nchrck

nchrck

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:20 AM

I think it helps to have an electrician with you when using EMF meters. Unfortunately, this isn't available to everyone. My husband is one and when we go on investigations with our group, they are constantly asking him questions and he can usually find a reason. At one investigation, we kept get a high reading in this old hotel in the corner of a hallway. It had a faux Greek column that went almost all the way to the ceiling. We called him over and had him do some readings with it and he figured out the column was hiding a crapload of wires leading to the ceiling. Course, if we would have looked closer at the top, we could have seen that, but we got excited since the hallway we were in is the one where all the activity occurs.

So if you have someone in your group that knows enough about wiring houses/buildings, always ask them questions to go along with the EMF reading. It will help.

Nicholle

#7 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

I think it helps to have an electrician with you when using EMF meters. Unfortunately, this isn't available to everyone. My husband is one and when we go on investigations with our group, they are constantly asking him questions and he can usually find a reason. At one investigation, we kept get a high reading in this old hotel in the corner of a hallway. It had a faux Greek column that went almost all the way to the ceiling. We called him over and had him do some readings with it and he figured out the column was hiding a crapload of wires leading to the ceiling. Course, if we would have looked closer at the top, we could have seen that, but we got excited since the hallway we were in is the one where all the activity occurs.

So if you have someone in your group that knows enough about wiring houses/buildings, always ask them questions to go along with the EMF reading. It will help.

Nicholle

That is where I think most of needle jumps come from, usually from wiring inside the walls or running through columns. I think only a small percentage of the jumps are actually something.

#8 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

One of the guy's in Grim Undertakings is an electrician. We've often talked about EMF readers and how sensitive they are. This is why I use my compass indoors. I know it only detects magnatism, but if it starts to act crazy, then it's a possibility that something may be amiss in our surroundings. :Spaz:

#9 spelling

spelling

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

that's a good point. i have a compass that i also use. it's just that you can only carry so much equipment to use.

#10 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

I know nothing about EMF Meters nor how they work. I have been looking things up about them. I found this info. below on a website Does it make sense to anyone??

Understanding the proper use and limitations of Equipment

"There are several factors to consider about equipment used in your investigations. One example is the type of EMF meters; it depends on what kind of meter you are using and why you are using it. The majority of EMF meters out there are designed to find AC (alternating current) electromagnetic fields. AC fields will ALWAYS be manmade. Natural fields are DC. This is what runs the human body's bioelectrical system, what causes lightning, and what powers a ghost. You cannot detect a ghost with an AC field meter. To even suggest that is preposterous to anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of physics. However you can use them to eliminate manmade sources.
Even beyond that, the majority of EMF meters are only rated for between 50-60 Hz. This is because these are the frequencies that the electrical grids in Europe and North America run at, and these meters were designed to detect these specifically.

Another consideration is the specifications of the equipment that you use. The old saying, “You get what you pay for” comes into play here. If you use EMF meters they need to be scientific grade to ensure that your readings are accurate. For example, those white 3 led ELF Zone meters that sell for $15 to $20 have an accuracy of 2%. This leaves a 98% chance that the reading you’re obtaining is inaccurate. EMF meters of that have a high degree of accuracy start in a cost range of $500 per meter and can go as high as $8,000. These types of meters often require an annual calibration by a certified individual and the certification date is marked on a sticker placed on the instrument. "

Also, my husband is an electrical engineer. He did make a comment when he saw me looking up info. on EMF detectors. He was wondering how they can work effectively when your own body produces energy and wondered why the energy picked up from a "ghost" would be different than a human's energy in the room.
Interesting on anyone's thoughts, this is all new and confusing to me.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#11 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

that's a good point. i have a compass that i also use. it's just that you can only carry so much equipment to use.

I agree. There is a lot of equipment to lug around!
I haven't bought everything I'd like to yet (this stuff's expensive!), but someday when I do, I think I'd only bring what I think I'd need to each investigation.
No sense bringing an electrostatic generator to a graveyard. :ghost:

#12 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

I know nothing about EMF Meters nor how they work. I have been looking things up about them. I found this info. below on a website Does it make sense to anyone??

Understanding the proper use and limitations of Equipment

"There are several factors to consider about equipment used in your investigations. One example is the type of EMF meters; it depends on what kind of meter you are using and why you are using it. The majority of EMF meters out there are designed to find AC (alternating current) electromagnetic fields. AC fields will ALWAYS be manmade. Natural fields are DC. This is what runs the human body's bioelectrical system, what causes lightning, and what powers a ghost. You cannot detect a ghost with an AC field meter. To even suggest that is preposterous to anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of physics. However you can use them to eliminate manmade sources.
Even beyond that, the majority of EMF meters are only rated for between 50-60 Hz. This is because these are the frequencies that the electrical grids in Europe and North America run at, and these meters were designed to detect these specifically.

Another consideration is the specifications of the equipment that you use. The old saying, “You get what you pay for” comes into play here. If you use EMF meters they need to be scientific grade to ensure that your readings are accurate. For example, those white 3 led ELF Zone meters that sell for $15 to $20 have an accuracy of 2%. This leaves a 98% chance that the reading you’re obtaining is inaccurate. EMF meters of that have a high degree of accuracy start in a cost range of $500 per meter and can go as high as $8,000. These types of meters often require an annual calibration by a certified individual and the certification date is marked on a sticker placed on the instrument. "

Also, my husband is an electrical engineer. He did make a comment when he saw me looking up info. on EMF detectors. He was wondering how they can work effectively when your own body produces energy and wondered why the energy picked up from a "ghost" would be different than a human's energy in the room.
Interesting on anyone's thoughts, this is all new and confusing to me.

I find it sort of amusing how often speculation seems to become fact in ghost research. There is a very strong hunch that ghosts are either energy or they somehow manipulate it. Personally I think this hunch is true, and I try to work with this, but my opinion doesn't make it true! Ghost research is all about trial and error.
What is preposterous is this article. Did this individual sit down and have coffee with a ghost to acquire all of this information? The ghost told him that he runs on DC energy, and that if anyone wants to detect him, they have to spend $500-$1000?! "Don't forget to have it calibrated by a scientist!", said the ghost.
I thank you for this article though, and I plan to do a lot more reading about EMF readers before I go out and purchase one. For all we know, the origin of EMF readers as ghost equipment could have been started by an EMF reader salesperson.
When (and if) I ever do buy one, I don't plan to use them indoors whether they are AC or DC or both. There is just too much going on in a structure that is electrical. I once heard someone say that if your EMF reader goes above three, there's a ghost there. This must have been discussed during coffee, too. :whee:
Your husband brought up a very good point. I think if I tested it on my body and it read, say, I don't know 2, and I was out in the field and it kept shooting up to 8, and I took everything into account like power lines, etc., I think that would be odd and valid. :ghost:

#13 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

""When (and if) I ever do buy one, I don't plan to use them indoors whether they are AC or DC or both. There is just too much going on in a structure that is electrical. I once heard someone say that if your EMF reader goes above three, there's a ghost there. This must have been discussed during coffee, too. :whee:
Your husband brought up a very good point. I think if I tested it on my body and it read, say, I don't know 2, and I was out in the field and it kept shooting up to 8, and I took everything into account like power lines, etc., I think that would be odd and valid. :ghost: ""
[/quote]

Does a human being release more energy is they are Scared? Nervous? Worried?
If that does happen, would the EMF pick it up. Just wondering how much it would change the reading.

Edited by GhostCat, 01 March 2006 - 05:58 PM.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#14 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

A very good question. I've never thought about this one before. I don't know! Anyone? I'm lazy and don't want to look this up! :ghost:

#15 david adams

david adams

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

A very good question. I've never thought about this one before. I don't know! Anyone? I'm lazy and don't want to look this up! :)

Hey guys you can go for the TRI-METER. This will illiminate most false readings from normal meters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users