• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WynterSong

WynterSong

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

I don't plan on communicating with any spirits in the very near future. I'm still learning basic methods and such, but I have one important question in mind and that is what are some way to protect yourself while communicating or contacting spirits? Can you use certain charms, objects, prayers, blessings? I would like to know specific things that I can keep in mind, for safety reasons. If anyone can answer or help discuss this with me, thank you. :kitty: I appriciate it.

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. Anton Chekhov Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Protection rituals are usually personal and rooted in one's spiritual upbringing and beliefs. Objects, such as charms, are good as long as you have faith that they will help. I prefer to begin by centering myself then saying a short prayer that I like. I ask my Higher Power to watch over and keep me from all harm, then I begin to meditate. The length of meditation depends on what it is I wish to do - communicate with my guides or other spirits, give a reading, and so on. Usually I don't meditate for long any more, just a couple of minutes. It's really up to you and what makes you feel comfortable and positive. One thing most people don't realize is that it is very important to close your 'session' with another ritual of some sort. You need to thank your Higher Power and ask for continued protection in your daily life. What ever you do at this point, it should be something to end the session and bring you back to the everyday part of your life.

(I use the term "Higher Power" because here in the GhostVillage are peoples of all different faiths. This term is all-encompassing without being disrespectful of other's religions.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#3 WynterSong

WynterSong

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I suppose these rituals are a personal thing, and that I have to build my own ritual to suit my beliefs. Your post was a perfect first step, thank you very much. I'm still open to input as well, though.

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. Anton Chekhov Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

It is a matter of faith. In my case I KNOW that nothing I encounter can cause me harm. As a result I do no specific rituals or anything else before or during an investigation.

I also do not believe any talisman, crystals, sage, salt or anything else has any power whatsoever to ward off anything. It is a matter of your faith that protects you. Some seem to need some tangible object to put that faith in, if so fine. But one could use anything, or nothing at all, with equal results since it is the strength of YOUR faith, not the object that provides "protection".

#5 Tantric Kitten

Tantric Kitten

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

I agree with Redhead and CaveRat totally.

The simplest and most multi-faith friendly protection (and the one which I do along with grounding... and there are a million and one ways to ground oneself... so google it and pick one you like and that resonates with you) is to simply ask the universe (ie., God) to protect you and surround you with protective white light.

And to make sure you KNOW with every fiber of your being that entities cannot harm you unless you allow them to... and why would you be dumb enough to allow them to?

I've been tired and drained but I've never had any sort of "problem" like being physically harmed or finding an attachment.

Edited by Tantric Kitten, 26 July 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#6 WynterSong

WynterSong

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Thank you for all the very helpful responses. I feel like I have a much better understanding of protection now.

#7 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

I think the suggestions Redhead gave are very helpful for a novice. If you haven't done much of this before and don't really know what you're doing, it's best not to get into any trouble. Once you've tested the waters and know what you're doing, you won't need them anymore.

I've done this for such a long time now I can immediately talk to the person I need to talk to or the person who needs to talk to me comes right in. However, the first times are different.

Good luck. :kitty:
petunia4998

#8 WynterSong

WynterSong

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

However, the first times are different.

What do you mean by that? Well, I suppose I'm curious as to specifically how they're different. Of course, experience is probably everything right?

#9 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I think that what Petunia is saying is that, for some people, rituals of protection are necessary when you are a beginner. The first few times a person attempts some sort of communication with Spirit, they should follow a ritual to ensure their own well being. As for myself, I always do my ritual. I have never needed one to be able to contact Spirit; I have always been able to communicate without rituals. The ritual of protection is not one that is necessary to make contact. It is used to protect oneself from negative energies. And not just negative Spirit energies, but negative energies from humans who may not even be aware that they have this negative energy or that they are causing any harm/drain on you. Simpy put, it is a good idea to ask your Higher Power to watch over you and keep you safe. If you don't believe in any type of Supreme Being, then there is no need to ask that Being for aide and protection. It's all up to you.

Here is a topic I started about meditation a long time ago. It has a suggestion of how to get started and can be adapted to suit your own needs WynterSong.
http://www.ghostvill...y...=13828&st=0

Edited by Redhead, 27 July 2010 - 11:29 AM.

"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#10 WynterSong

WynterSong

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

OKay. That all makes sense. I'm really glad I asked and could have so many responses to help me, and that meditation topic is perfect for starting. :kitty: Once again, Thank you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users