Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Struck by Lightning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:25 AM

My great-uncle was struck by lightning four times. The first time it was like the old joke: "Why are Farmers so wonderful? Ans: Because they are out standing in their field".

He was a farmer, and was struck by lightning. His clothes were burnt off, his shovel melted, but he was unhurt. The second time was similar, it melted coins in his pocket and exploded his pocket watch. This time he was left with faint, white radiating marks down from his left shoulder.

I forget the details of the third time, but the fourth he was in his 80's lying in bed. The sky wasn't even especially cloudy. The lightning struck through an open window, burnt a hole in his sheets and melted a hole in the bed springs.

I've looked at insurance actuarial tables, and people who are hit once are statistically at risk to be hit again. It is generally assumed that the correlation is through their jobs, i.e. their statistically higher chance of being where the lightning is, but is this a reasonable assessment?

Do some people attract lightning?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#2 HalloweenPixie

HalloweenPixie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:nature, animals, the paranormal, computers, arguing politics, telling guys how to fix mechanical things especialy when the answer is jumping right at them and then telling them "I told you so" when they figure it out much later

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:35 AM

As I've been struck by a small lightening bolt myself, I'd say yep certain people are more suseptible to being struck. My partner and I were crossing a dam to go fishing one day and he was carrying all of the metal objects so in essense he was a miniature lightening rod yet the lightening hit me instead. I didn't even know it did till he asked me if I was okay and I replied "ya, dunno why my head and feet are tingling though". I just remembered letting out a little yelp and didn't even know what happened untill he told me. Of course that wasn't enough to deter me from fishing! I think your location and the objects around you do make a difference though as to just how much of a target you are. They do say though that once you've been hit by lightening, the odds of you being hit again are higher.
Be brave enough to journey into the unknown for only through that journey can we grow. Pixie

#3 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

I think some ppl have higher energy level and attrack electric or can absorb electric.
My Grandad worked for Elec.Comp in Cincinnati.He could tolerate high shocks with no effects, he used to put his finger in light fixtures with no problems.

I tooks a few volts from a faulty drill, that knocked me on my butt.

I'v heard of ppl that have been struck more that once. I also heard of a woman that couldn't walk due to MS. she was struck by lighting and it cured her get got the feeling back and could walk. It's one of those mystery.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#4 HalloweenPixie

HalloweenPixie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:nature, animals, the paranormal, computers, arguing politics, telling guys how to fix mechanical things especialy when the answer is jumping right at them and then telling them "I told you so" when they figure it out much later

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:53 AM

hehe secret, that sounds sorta like me. People used to call me insane when I'd hold on to those electrified cattle fences with both hands and consider it fun. I also have a bad habit of zapping people I touch :hug:
Be brave enough to journey into the unknown for only through that journey can we grow. Pixie

#5 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

Yeah! hehe... we used to see who would hold on the longest too.

There are some girls at work that get heated over static shock.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#6 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

There was actually a segment on the on "Dr. Know" on the discovery health channel. Lightenting can strike twice in the same place and he interviewed someone who had been hit tow or three times (I can't remember).
Love life.

#7 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

Do some people attract lightning?

I'd say its basic stastics Markway . Being a farmer increases his odds . Working out in the open during storms even more so. Having you as a great great great nephew definitly increased his chances ( just kidding ) . Farmers use metal objects , shovels , hoes tractor attachments and so on which would also increase his chances. Tell me he lived in Iowa or Oklahoma and that increases his chances 50 % by virtue of its frequency of storms and its flat terrain.

I hope this at least gives you my point of view.

Poor Man :hug: very sad but very lucky at the same time.

Rockhauler2k1

Edited by Rockhauler2k1, 15 April 2006 - 12:00 PM.

Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#8 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:07 AM

Interesting Stuff!

Some of you who've read my various confessionals have heard about my squalid history, PhD, living in a basement, a HAUNTED basement, and then getting a job offer from my brother-in-law to work as an electrician. Remember kids," a degree is no guarantee of employment, and paying the university thousands of dollars is in no way to be construed as a guarantee of future job success or type of employement".

I've spent a lot of years as an electrician. I've been in three electrical expolsions, and nearly electrocuted many times and can tell what voltage hit me by the feel. (Life lesson: if you become an electrician, avoid service work and remodel for safety reasons).

With the electric fence, it's not supposed to be fatal or even damaging, and you are only partly grounded, so are not getting the full "benefit". Thank you, no, I prefer to avoid that entertainment unless it guarantees me some sort of female attention other than a nurse's.

Mt great-uncle was hit all four times in Western Washington, not your big lightning state. What interested me was the lack of injury, and the almost intelligent behavior of the electricity upon the final occaission. Many people struck by lightning vaporize, others have an entry and exit wound, and ( for all of you electrically challenged folk), a worm-hole of cooked meat between them. How do people take the hit, but avoid injury?
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#9 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

My middle school science teacher had been struck by lighting twice while backpacking in one specific area (do not remember where) but both times she was there she got struck. She thought it was the coolest experience possible.

I personally have not been stuck by lighting, but I do seem to have an affinity for electricity. You know a person in most cases has to create static electricity in order to shock someone, I seem to be made of it lol No matter the circumstances I can usually shock someone without even trying lol Maybe it is a good thing then that I no longer hang out in fields lol
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#10 WickedBrat

WickedBrat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:29 married, feel like 19. Just like to meet new people and have fun. Outgoing and I enjoy reading ghost stories. Writing and drawing.

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

Very Shocking Topic, don't think i wanna try and get hit by lightening :whoohoo: :P but my Hubby told me that you could tell if you're gonna be hit if your hair stands on ends ... could it? hehe one of these days i'll stand out in open field..
"You seem to be on Death's doorstep" Grandmother"Yeah well, I just wipe My feet on His Unwelcome Mat, say Ciao Sucker and walk away" Me Order My Life with a Side of Fun and Hold the Grim Reaper. I'm just so Evil I could Take His JobPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Markway

Markway

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, you can feel the electrical field when the pressure is high. As a one-time electrician, I can attest to the feeling in even a small electrical room. In some of the big ones at Boeing you can feel your skin prickle and so on, and it is a bad idea to point at high voltage sources.

I have heard of the hair-raising phenomena prior to a lightning strike as well, and believe it to be true.

I feel a responsibiity to mention that while we have been discussing lightning strikes that do little harm, they usually do quite the opposite. A person struck by lightning usually dies. Usually, the burn is obvious, but occaisonally there is only an entry wound the size of a quarter, usually on your head, and an exit wound on the sole of one of your feet. Sometimes a person is simply vaporized.

So, if you find your hair standing on end while you're outside, at the very least, throw yourself flat.

All that being said, I have heard that sub-stations, etc seem to attract paranormal activity. I've read a report of weird activity at some submarine watching spots around sub-stations, and of a group of workers at a generating plant who saw the image of a man seated in a chair, appear in the air around some of the main gear.
This much let me avow---
All that we see or seem

#12 iaintafraid

iaintafraid

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:i work for a marketing company in the DC area. i am addicted to reality tv. i am a swimmer and sometimes a triathlete depending on how dedicated i am. i love to travel and love the beach.

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:09 PM

Is that myth true about how close in time lightning and thunder are correlating to the distance the lightning is away from you??

A friend of mine lost someone in her family when he was struck by lightning. I wonder if it's true that some people can withstand more voltage...

#13 Ruf

Ruf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:15 AM

Is that myth true about how close in time lightning and thunder are correlating to the distance the lightning is away from you??

Erm, yes. Light travels the speed of, erm, light and sound travels at the speed of ... do you see where I'm going with this? Basically the flash is going to reach you pretty much instantly and the sound is coming at about 700 miles an hour so will get there later.

So, the greater the gap between the thuderclap and the flash of lightning, the further the storm is away from you. We used to count slowly between the two and thought that was how many miles the storm was away, I doubt that works particularly well in reality but it kept us amused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users