• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bernadette

bernadette

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

I know I have been here long enough to know this answer but I guess I have not been paying attention. What is the difference between a ghost and a spirit? I always thought they were the same thing but appearantly I am wrong.

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

Depends on the individual and their belief system I suppose :weeee:

In my personal case, I view ghosts as the etheral remains of a human being or animal....and a spirit an etheral being that had never been human or animal (for example, an angel would be a spirit, Anne Boylen at the Tower of London a ghost)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,124 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:29 PM

I too go by VampChick's definition.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#4 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:31 PM

It is not an easy distinction to nail down, that's for sure. I am somewhat confused myself. LOL!

There was some discussion on it here, if it helps any:

http://www.ghostvill...?showtopic=7771
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#5 Libramoon

Libramoon

Birthday Party Streak er

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all things paranormal. I often go to haunted locations to take pictures and EVP's. I also live in an active location and have taken many pictures and EVP's in my home.<br /> I love to read just about anything and I hope one day to become a writter of both fiction and paranormal non-fiction. <br /> Our world is still a very mysterious place. We haven't even scratched the surface!

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

In my belief, a ghost was once a person or animal who died & for whatever reason, didn't make it to the other side. A spirit did make it to the other side, but will come back here to visit,ect. They can also be angels, who have never lived on earth.
To himself everyone is immortal; he may know that he is going to die, but he'll never know that he is dead. ~Samuel Butler~

#6 ohhorror

ohhorror

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

Okay this is from the Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits by Rosemary Ellen Guiley:

Spirit - "A discarnate being, essence or supernatural force of nature. Spirits may also represent places, such as the spirits of mountains, lakes, trees and especially any site considered to be sacred."

Ghost - "An alleged spirit of the dead. The term "ghost" enjoys popular use, especially in connection with hauntings. Parapsychologists generally use the term "apparition". Ghosts may be visable, though only a small percentage of cases involve visual images. Generally a ghost makes it's presence known through mysterious noises, smells, cold breezes and movements of objects."

My version of what I tell people, Spirits are free roaming and can come and go as they please. Ghosts are usually bound to one location as though they are stuck.
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#7 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:33 PM

A spirit is a discarnate being, essence or supernatural force of nature. Spirits may also represent places, such as the spirits of mountains, lakes, trees and especially any site considered to be sacred.
Spiritd persopersonify primal qualities, characteristics and elemental forces, which are recognized, worshipped and propitiated.
Ghosts refers to the alledged spirit of the dead. ghosts, refers to the animus or disembodied soul. Taken from the Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits.

#8 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

What I tend to believe and what I have heard psychic Sylvia Brown say is that a spirit is one who has crossed over and is coming back to deliver a message, helping our or just to check in on someone. Generally a family member or close friend of the living person that they visit.

A ghost is a soul that has not crossed over. For some reason they can't (such as unfinished business) or they do not know that they died.

But, like was said: it all really depends on a person's own beliefs or religion.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#9 bernadette

bernadette

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:42 AM

Now that is a answer that I understand! Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users