• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PoisonMookie

PoisonMookie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was looking around Youtube the other day and I came across this video.
The video itself wasn't what caught my attention, it's the comments of people basically insulting the way the parents are raising their children simply because they openly discuss with the little boy what he sees and what they see.
The people commenting are even going as far to say that the kid will grow up to be mentally unbalanced and other similar things.

Now in my opinion I think it's healthy to share these experiences with your child when they are seeing things, otherwise I believe that this can cause the child to repress what they are seeing and cause confusion. I think it could even effect the child later in life if they continue to experience things that they cannot discuss because they will think that there is something wrong with them because mummy and daddy tell them that what they are seeing and hearing isn't real.

These people are also claiming that it will scare the child. I don't know about you but if I was a young child and my parents ignored what I told them was scaring me that would make it even worse.

I was wondering how everyone else feels?

Do you think that parents should openly discuss these type of things with their children (obviously in the right way) or should we ignore it and push it away in case what they are experiencing frightens them etc.

#2 NekoLunaSan

NekoLunaSan

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

I was looking around Youtube the other day and I came across this video.
The video itself wasn't what caught my attention, it's the comments of people basically insulting the way the parents are raising their children simply because they openly discuss with the little boy what he sees and what they see.
The people commenting are even going as far to say that the kid will grow up to be mentally unbalanced and other similar things.

Now in my opinion I think it's healthy to share these experiences with your child when they are seeing things, otherwise I believe that this can cause the child to repress what they are seeing and cause confusion. I think it could even effect the child later in life if they continue to experience things that they cannot discuss because they will think that there is something wrong with them because mummy and daddy tell them that what they are seeing and hearing isn't real.

These people are also claiming that it will scare the child. I don't know about you but if I was a young child and my parents ignored what I told them was scaring me that would make it even worse.

I was wondering how everyone else feels?

Do you think that parents should openly discuss these type of things with their children (obviously in the right way) or should we ignore it and push it away in case what they are experiencing frightens them etc.

I say it's better to discuss these things,I've grown up around different types of spirits and my mum always ignored it. I spent my childhood to terrified to leave the house after dark in case there were scary things there. If mum had helped me I wouldnt have been so scared.

#3 Casper2004

Casper2004

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Exersicing, Learning More About The Paranormal , My Scorpions And Tarantula's, black widows ,TV, Movies, Internet, Travel....EXTRATERRESTRIAL

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

i dont think there is anything wrong with the video, atleast the boy isnt like jani schofield's youtube videos....

#4 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

I haven't watched the video, so I'm only replying with the OP's question in mind:

I believe there is a VERY thin line when it comes to discussing anything paranormal with children, especially young children. Over the years, I have found the most productive way to do so is to listen more, talk less. Listen to what the child has to say, and don't EVER tell them that what they're seeing or experiencing isn't real. Instead, its okay to give them a simple, "I've seen that too" or "I understand." Ask questions such as, "how did it make you feel when you saw that" or "what do YOU think it was?" Its okay to tell them how not to be frightened and how to empower themselves against these experiences.

Don't, however, ask a lot of leading questions and don't be too quick to tell a young child what you have seen/experienced in great detail or what your theories on it are. While not meaning to, things like that can actually lead to scaring a child and it provides plenty of fodder for which they can feed off, and their own experiences may become mingled with the adults as the child tries to agree with them, or simply, cannot distinguish their experiences from what is being fed to them.

It also helps to not make a huge deal out of the situation. Deal with it calmly, and like its an everyday thing if a child tells you something of a paranormal nature. Making a big deal out of things can again, cause fear in a child, but it also shows the child that this is a great way to get attention. They may begin to make up things in order to get that attention.

My policy is honesty, but a censored honesty until the child is much older, lol. Be supportive, but not leading.
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#5 PoisonMookie

PoisonMookie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

TheresaRHPS, I agree with you whole heartedly Posted Image. By talk to them I didn't mean talk more than they do etc.

I just think that parents should be open to what the child is seeing and wants to tell them rather than completely ignore it and discourage it like a lot of people seem to do. I just don't understand how that can be healthy.

#6 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

I agree as well be open when it comes to spirits. My son had been seeing one of ours cats and I didn't know till we both seen it at the same. Imagine my surprise when he told me that it follows our suriving cats off the window sill.
Right this way to my haunted space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users