28 replies to this topic

#16 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:44 PM

Actually it was more along the lines of, "Hmmm, I think that bone goes there, but it doesn't look quite right, I hope I can slip away without being noticed."   ;D

*succumbs to peer pressure and joins the ranks of the decent folk*  Thanks Whispers.  ;)
Posted Image

#17 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:16 PM

I was raised to do for others, no matter if they appreciated it or not, i'm only human and ofcourse a pat on the back now and then i've looked for, I believe we all really do get what comes to us, by treating someone with compassion and giving them  help when they are most in need, it will be willed back to us
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#18 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 04:16 PM

Justa-no wrries, always glad to help a mate. But you see what I mean, its not horrid to want a thanks or even a smile of acknowledgement for the deed done.

Willow-I agree, but sometimes a good deed can bear resentment, you know, a sense of obligation even if they're
told to forget about it<if its a cash thing>There's also the type of person, you know the habitual favor seeker that
never actually learns to stand on their own.

Hmmm...maybe giving what they need rather than what they want, depending on how well you know the person
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#19 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:50 AM

I'm definitely one of those people that feels obligated after a favor is given me. My husband, my kids and my best friend are the only people I can accept a kind gesture from without questioning their ulterior motives. Perhaps I do that because it's easier to believe everyone wants something for something. I expect the worst from people, I guess.

Does anyone have a comfortable couch.. I feel a psychiatric session.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#20 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:02 AM

Does anyone have a comfortable couch.. I feel a psychiatric session.

BB, Ana

[smiley=cwm17.gif] [smiley=cwm17.gif]
Posted Image

#21 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

As one of those people that you like to debate with, Ana, lol, and since this IS a subject we often talk of, I guess it's time to throw my two cents in, if others don't mind.

I, too, do NOT believe that there is a thing as 'conscious altruism'. No matter if it's just because you've been brought up to do the 'good' thing, or if you want the entire world to know how decent you are, it's all just another name for self-gratification...not that THAT is wrong in and of itself! Not to be blasmeous, but I think that the reason even JEUSUS died on the cross was just so he could finally go home! lol  

The ONLY way I feel 'true' altruism is achieved is when you never realize that you've BEEN altruistic. Example: Say you somehow drop a ten dollar bill on a busy street and someone picks it up. Regardless what this other person does with it, YOU have been altruistic because in whatever capacity, you've 'helped' this person. Now, in order to stay altruistic, you must never know that you've lost this ten dollars, and you must never know it has helped someone else. To have this knowledge would make any altrustic intentions go 'POOF!', lol, because then the natural, seeping sense of self-gratification creep back in. This way, you'll never have conscious knowledge that you did a kindess to a faceless stranger...and therefore you will be completely 'altruistic', lol.

ANyhoo, that's just MY thoughts on the subject...and Ana, *picks up pad and pen and fake German accent* "Zo tell me about your mothzer..."

#22 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

*Follows Shellas around waiting for her to altruistically drop many many dollars to make my life better, thus ensuring her an altruistic plastic trophy* ;)
Posted Image

#23 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:11 PM

Follow her around enough and she's BOUND to lose money. Trust me on this. Comes in handy. If only she knew how altruistic she's been to me in the past. Mwahahaha.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#24 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:20 AM

BAD_WORD IT, ANA!! You know you can't tell me these things! Now HOW will I get my plastic trophy?? :( lol

#25 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:32 AM

Example: Say you somehow drop a ten dollar bill on a busy street and someone picks it up. Regardless what this other person does with it, YOU have been altruistic because in whatever capacity, you've 'helped' this person.

that is not altruism, that is your irresponsibility! lol and the other guys luck ;D

** any plastic trophy around? **
Posted Image

#26 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:45 AM

Oh Moon...you just don't get it do you, sweetheart?? ;D

#27 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:23 AM

While I understand why Shellas thinks 'accidental' altruism is acceptable, I don't agree. My personal definition of altruism includes a "conscious effort" to act in an un-selfish manner for the benefit of others. Hence, why everything is relative, because we all have our own definitions for things like this.

But, at least I believe in good will!

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#28 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, I agree that good will is as close to being 'consciously' altruistic...lol. But I'll still take finding a 100 bucks on the floor ANYDAY! ;D

#29 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:57 AM

will ya share? :(
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users