Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Christian Witches

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it possible?

Do you think it is possible to be both Christian and Wiccan?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Charlotte

Charlotte

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hey there everyone. I have been hearing alot lately about Christian Witches, or the blending of Christianity and Wicca. Do you think it is possible? I'd love to hear your take on it.

Blessed Be,
Charlotte :whoohoo:

PS - I was raised Baptist, but have a Native American and European background.
CharlotteI have learned that being with those I love is enough!

#2 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

While I believe it is possible to borrow aspects from each religion, by doing so you would have to leave fundamental tenets from one or the other. You end up with a hybrid that is neither Christian nor Wiccan.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#3 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

~Interesting topic, Charlotte!!! I'd love to vote, but I am uneducated about the Wiccan practice. I'm half Native American (Blackfoot) & half Irish...but my background growing up was from that of a hypocritical father...so through my 36.5 years of living, I've just sorta found my own "religion" (although I've found a love in Mormonism), which is treat everyone the same. I absolutely refuse to see people by the color of their skin, but rather in the way they present themselves...I can see the person on the inside before I see them on the outside.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#4 R.L.crowley

R.L.crowley

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:spirit photography, computers...lol, biking, friends...lots of stuff

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

There is no such thing as a Christian wiccan, Because as a Christian you follow the bible, and it clearly states in the bible that the casting of spells is an abomination to the Lord. Deuteronomy 19 : 10-12

"Let there not be found among you one who immolates his son or daughter in the fire, nor a fortune teller, soothsayer, charmer, diviner, or caster of spells, nor one who consults ghosts or dead spirits or seeks oracles from the dead. anyone who such things is an abomination to the Lord"

-Roger-

The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways--I to die and you to live. Which is the better, only God knows. - Socrates I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. . - SocratesEnergy Hot SpotsEnergy Hot Spots New EnglandEnergyhotspots DemonicologyLet the house of Israel say / His mercy endures forever Let the house of Aaron say / His mercy endures foreverLet those who fear the lord say / His mercy endures forever

#5 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

~Aw crap....I'm doomed then. I believe in spirits and I also believe in our Heavenly Father...now what do I do??? I do know the difference...and I don't have another God I pray to...but I do talk to the spirits inside my home to keep an eye on my children while I sleep (the spirits plus their Guardian Angels...you can't go wrong). I just feel like God loves us all & he knows that we have to have hobbies...as long as we still come to him & show Him our love. I could be very wrong here & do not mean to tresspass on anyone's beliefs, this is just what gets me through every day. This gives me something to believe in & to hold onto.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#6 erato

erato

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:1. Creative writing, mostly poetry, sporadic prose and script writing... <br />2. Art, I love my pencil *lol* paints to some extent... 3. Movies (except war, mindless killing and romance *ugh*), sci-fi freak for some time now, <br />3. Will read almost anything.. from fantasy to alternative history &amp; religious texts... <br />4.Interested in meeting people with similar interests esp in the supernatural and afterlife (which is why I'm here) <br />5. Spirit cleansing and connection <br />lets see.. yep i think that covers it.. (for now). <br /> <br />If you're interested in poetry, visit my rambling site.. <br />http://of-moons-and-tongues.bebo.com/

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

Technically I do agree with Roger in that the bible does caution against fortune-telling, casting of spells etc.. but personally, I believe that these hybrid-type sense of spirituality is more common than we think. It is quite easy to bridge between the two if you simply take the core-beliefs of both as they are quite similar in the 'do no harm' and 'love thy neighbour' principles. But yes, as aloha has said you would have to be willing to let go of some of the fundamental teachings.

From my own experience, I believe that it is possible and that there is so much that is unaccounted for in the bible for example, a psychic who has premonitions may be interpreted as being a prophet or a witch. What is the difference between the rituals of say mass in my case (R/catholic) and sending a prayer through an energy spell for a loved one who is ill? Both make use of symbols, both are based on love and good intentions, both acknowledge a higher power or creation-energy, god/ goddess etc.. so for my part the hybrid is not necesarily a bad thing. I do however acknowldge that others may be more fundamental and conservative in their views and so may disagree with me.

At the end of the day, the names or catergories are not as important as the essence of the principles that direct our lives (for some the labels are more significant than for others)... It would be very difficult to practice both equally, you'd have to be willing to select from each and come up with your own sense of what is and should be. I dont know how particular congregations would respond to having practising wicca in their group.

just my 2c worth.

~e
In Peace & Light,~EratoIn morals what begins in fear usually ends in wickedness; in religion what begins in fear usually ends in fanaticism. Fear, either as a principle or a motive, is the beginning of all evil. Anna Jameson---"While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die" Leonardo Da Vinci ---Friedrich Nietzche: "you must have chaos within you, to give birth to a dancing star" ---George Orwell: "One cannot really be a catholic and grown up" ---

#7 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

I agree that that those who say they have a hybrid are becomming more and more common; but I pretty much agree with Roger and Aloha on this subject.

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hmmm....if you take a look back to the very early days of the Christian faith, when it was slowly spreading across Europe, you'll probably see a blending of the two, particularly among the 'common' folk. Meaning on the surface they were Christian, but they still held on to certain rituals, days, deities, etc.

This of course, is just my personal hypothosis. But the above scenario is a transition one.

Me, I can see where the two religious paths meet and where they divide, and really it's up to the individual if they can marry the two in their spiritual life. I don't forsee any Christian Wiccian churches popping up though.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

I want to clear something up from my previous post. I don't condemn hybrid religions - we all do something like that on a personal level anyways. I won't call such mixtures right or wrong - it's just your chosen path.

Christians won't like you calling yourself Christian, though, if you stray too far from mainstream (and like Roger pointed out, the Bible speaks out against witchcraft). Your Wiccan friends probably will be more open, as it isn't as structured and rigid. You might even identify Jesus as the Wiccan Lord.

I have heard of one strange combination. Santeria is Voodoo that calls upon the Saints to realize their spells.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

I have heard of one strange combination. Santeria is Voodoo that calls upon the Saints to realize their spells.

D'oh! I totally forgot about Santeria!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

My view is simple: on the religious side, you cannot be on two boats, but on spiritual side you can, because whatever you believe becomes what you create and it is independent of other (mainstream) beliefs.
Posted Image

#12 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

In my opinion, the poll is flawed. The poll asks if you can be both Christian, and Wiccan, but in the first post, Charlotte says she's heard a good bit about Christian WITCHES. I believe being a christian witch is a perfectly natural thing, as witchcraft is mainly a form of prayer, not about casting spells.

Wicca on the other hand is a totally different religion. They don't conform.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#13 Charlotte

Charlotte

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I had just heard it "labeled" that way.

Blessed Be,
Charlotte
CharlotteI have learned that being with those I love is enough!

#14 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

I do believe that you can be a Christian Witch...and I have a very good friend who was able to blend Christianity and Wicca quite nicely for herself. She was an elder in her church (Presbyterian) and attended Wiccan rituals with her daughter and me. She also acted as priestess at my Wiccan hand-fasting.

I don't want to start a debate on the Bible or what is contained therein, however if you want to really see what the Bible has to say about Witchcraft, it might be advisable to research the texts before Constantine and King James got their hands on them. One might be surprised at exactly what those text really say.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 PreTeenGhostHunter

PreTeenGhostHunter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Hey I'm Meghan... jah.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, its very much posable to blend any religion with Wicca. Although, a book I've read stated that mixing the two relgions of Wiccanary and Christianity is one of the most common and fastest growing combonations. Although, to the Chirstian religions its agenst the faith, so its not ethical to be pratice the two because even if its just prayer its still disobaying the Christian religion's. =/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users