Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

'Find of Century' For Egyptology

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Egyptologists say they have identified the 3,000-year-old mummy of Hatshepsut, Egypt's most powerful female ruler.

Egypt's antiquities chief Zahi Hawass made the official announcement at a packed news conference in Cairo.

It is being billed as the biggest archaeological find in Egypt since the 1922 discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb.

Archaeologists hope the mummy, which has lain unrecognised for decades, will yield clues about the mystery of her death and subsequent disappearance.

Mr Hawass has set up a DNA lab near the museum with an international team of scientists to verify the identification.

The study was funded by the US television channel Discovery which is to broadcast a documentary on the subject in July.

An important piece of the evidence is said to be that the mummy has a missing tooth, and the gap matches exactly an existing relic, a preserved tooth engraved with Hatshepsut's name.

Posted Image

Article
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

hhmmm interesting. I came across another news sometime back that some human tomb was unearthed in Europe that dates back to 8000 years! And another where human remains from Africa was found, that are almost 80000 years old!
Posted Image

#3 spiritdoc

spiritdoc

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Learning about and discussing all things universal and spiritual, the realms of the human condition and psyche, watching "para"normal shows like Most Haunted, a good English pub and a pint, fine international wines, languages and communication, travel, old cities with character and history... and, basically, just helping the world move into a better space while I'm here... oh, and of course... dogs and dolphins!

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

It's absolutely fantastic news and find... these are the the news stories I like to see instead.

It's in extraordinary shape, too... images on TV of it were phenomenal. Her hair is amazingly preserved, as well.

I think we'll be seeing more and more of these finds and other stuff like it in the near future, it's a sign of the changes and old info being unearthed.

Anyone heard of the 12 crystal skulls? That's an interesting topic...
SpiritDoc

#4 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

Have not heard of the twelve crystal skulls, but that sounds unusual and interesting.

As for the mummy, I am so glad she was found now rather than earlier because it seems like archeological techniques and treatment of such finds are better and better all the time. As well as more respectful. Whether the 'Mummy's Curse' was physical, spiritual or mental - let's hope they have found a way to prevent such disasters from occurring.

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#5 AngelRose

AngelRose

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in the paranormal. Just not enough to go out and do any investigations. I think my past experiences might have frightened me away from looking for what might come next. I can read what others go threw and it seems exciting. But I just don't have it in me to get up and do any investigations. Pretty silly I know. But it's who I am. I'm a watcher not a doer. That's ok with me, I dont' mind it. I feel safe this way. lol

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:14 AM

I agree with autumnbelle. I'm glad they found this now and not a few years ago when people disrespected the dead. The still do of course. But at least now, people are more careful and more respectful than say even 25 years ago. I've seen people do some destructive things to mummies. It's a shame. I also hope they put her back in her resting place so she can stay rested in peace. I hate to see mummies on display like they are some kind of trophy.

Blessings,
Angie
Posted Image

#6 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

I think the show on the discovery channel is on July 19...

I agree with Spirit Doc... I'd much rather see this all over the news than Paris Hilton...
Love life.

#7 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Mainly literature, theatre and the arts, intermixed with ancient and medieval history, mythology, vampirology, demonology, the paranormal... but I also like music, especially gothic industrial, darkwave, gothic rock, metal, jazz and classical, cult cinema, aquiring vegetarian and seafood recipe books and walks in the rain with my boyfriend, known on here as cryptokiller.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:29 PM

I agree with AngelRose.

Whilst this is an amazing discovery, and hopefully we can find out what really happened to Hatshepsut, I really hope they respect her and put her back to rest in peace. I hate when they put mummies and such like in museums. Walking through the second floor of the British Museum when you are a medium and clairsentient is not fun, I can tell you!
What if I'm the kindest demon, something you may not believe in?What if I'm a siren, singing gentlemen to sleep?Every woman is at heart a witch, the devil an angel too.

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hmmm...me the lone voice of dissent? lol. I'm an archeology & history buff, and I personally find no offence to the sight of a mummy or human remains in the museum, mainly because I'm learning from that display. By the same token, I understand and totally agree when a given group (such as First Nations) insists on the return and proper reburial of their ancestors remains, generally requested after archeologists have studied (since they learn as well from what the archeologists discover).

So really, I guess, I can go both ways on that issue.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 thegoblinqueen

thegoblinqueen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Mainly literature, theatre and the arts, intermixed with ancient and medieval history, mythology, vampirology, demonology, the paranormal... but I also like music, especially gothic industrial, darkwave, gothic rock, metal, jazz and classical, cult cinema, aquiring vegetarian and seafood recipe books and walks in the rain with my boyfriend, known on here as cryptokiller.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hmmm...me the lone voice of dissent? lol. I'm an archeology & history buff, and I personally find no offence to the sight of a mummy or human remains in the museum, mainly because I'm learning from that display. By the same token, I understand and totally agree when a given group (such as First Nations) insists on the return and proper reburial of their ancestors remains, generally requested after archeologists have studied (since they learn as well from what the archeologists discover).

So really, I guess, I can go both ways on that issue.

Vampchick, I too am a history buff and I'd love it if there was a way we could learn from this kind of thing without having to turf them out of their resting place!
What if I'm the kindest demon, something you may not believe in?What if I'm a siren, singing gentlemen to sleep?Every woman is at heart a witch, the devil an angel too.

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Well, in Egypt, many mummies remain in their tombs unless there is danger of damage to them from natural means (flash floods, etc. Don't laugh, it happens.) Tut is still in his tomb for example.

But I myself am non too bothered by the current situation. Heck, since I'm plotting burial in a good old fashioned mound, I fully expect...nay...DEMAND to be dug up by archeologies a thousand years hence.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

But I myself am non too bothered by the current situation. Heck, since I'm plotting burial in a good old fashioned mound, I fully expect...nay...DEMAND to be dug up by archeologies a thousand years hence.

I supposed that will be written somewhere for your ancestors to dig you up and study you?

I wanted to let you guys know that there is a program on the discovery channel about this find on Sunday at 8 pm eastern (I think)... I plan on taping it since I will probably be dead to the world after having to catch two flights in 48 hrs on Thurs and Friday (icky...)
Love life.

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

I supposed that will be written somewhere for your ancestors to dig you up and study you?

lol....well, it's now part of cyberspace, so who knows how long it'll stay out there. But no, I'm pretty much guessing that I'll get dug up by future archeologists. There's no room in standard cemetaries for good old fashioned burial mounds, so I'll be in a random field somewhere. I'd be a good study on late 20th early 21st century human.

And hopefully the Discovery Channel in Canada airs that show on Sunday as well, I'm fascinated by Hapshepsut, so I'd love to watch it.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Okay... I thought that the show was on at 8 eastern... it's on at 9 pm eastern on Sunday.

Vamp... I hope that you can watch it as well
Love life.

#14 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

I just checked the Discovery Channel Canada listings, and yes, this program IS airing at 9 pm EST in Canada.

YAY!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#15 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Also... for anyone who misses it.... The discovery channel typically sells their shows after they air for a reasonable price. Me, I perfer to make (I, mean politelly ask a responsible adult who knows how to operate the VCR without breaking it) my mom set the timer on the VCR. Good thing Desperate Housewives is a rerun or I'd be in a real pickle...

Now I just have to wait for July 29... Shark Week 20th anniversery..... Da Da Doooonnnnn!
Love life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users