Telling people about your abilities

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 JamesDean

JamesDean

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:1. My fiancee, Melissa<br />2. Music/Guitar<br />3. Spirituality/Religion/Philosophy

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

How do you guys here (the ones that are sensitives, as you guys put it) handle telling people what you can do. About the only person that knows about me is my fiancee Melissa, and she believes me of course because she can do the same thing.

A part of me is still skeptical about what I can do and doesn't want to believe it, but there is really nothing that can dissprove to me that I can sense ghosts (but then again I only started really beleiving a few weeks ago). The thing is, if there is a part of me that doesn't want to beleive, then how do I expect other people to beleive?

And there is the thing about people thinking I'm a nut. And then there are probably people that beleive in ghosts, but also a lot of other stuff that may or may not be true and could try to use me to validate all their beliefs.

Do you guys don't tell anyone unless you somehow know they already believe in these sort of things? Also, when you find someone that claims to be able to do something, how do you know whether they are genuine or delusional? Of course, if someone claimed to be able to do what I do I could tell whether they are lying or not because I can actually do it. In short, how do you guys handle skepticism?

#2 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

As far as skepticism: You seem like you're pretty new to this, so I would just give it some time. Once you become more aware and more trusting of your abilities, your skepticism in yourself should fade away. Although, a healthy dose of skepticism is always helpful when dealing with the paranormal as a whole - even among those who are sensitive. Like you said, once you are more aware of your own gifts, you should be able to "feel out" other sensitives, better.

As far as telling people: I make it a point to never discuss anything like this with anyone other than those closest to me (those I trust and feel safe with) or people in the paranormal communities who are already open to such things. However, I still tread very, very lightly - even with those who I am close to or those also interested in the paranormal. Just because someone loves us or shares a common belief does not mean that they will automatically understand and accept us.

:Wall:

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 20 August 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#3 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:47 AM

Hi JamesDean,

I have read tarot for over 20 years, but I don't discuss this with anyone unless I'm sure they're comfortable with esoteric topics. Some think it's great. Some people think it's interesting, but don't believe in it. Some think it's evil.

Everyone has the right to their opinion; we have to respect that, as we expect others to respect us.

Even if you feel completely comfortable and confident in your abilities, there will still always be those who don't believe in it. That doesn't mean that your abilities are any less for their doubt. Nor does it mean that you need to set about trying to convince them, because that shows a lack of respect in their beliefs, and such arguements are a waste of breath and fruitless (neither side ends up convinced, but instead leaves feeling frustrated and annoyed).

Enjoy your abilities, and appreciate those friends of quality who appreciate them, rather than worrying about the quantity of acquaintances who aren't interested. And ignore those who are disrespectful. Don't let them define you; choose to define yourself.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#4 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:18 AM

Try telling people you're a vampire. Much, much less trust. Believe me.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#5 heavenlee

heavenlee

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting, psychic awareness, angels, mediums, old grave yards any graveyard.lol! I hate ufo paranormal it scares the jibes out of me.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

Try telling people you're a vampire. Much, much less trust. Believe me.

Poor Morbid, i trust you...I love this new super thick scarf im wearing, dont you? j/k. I found the best thing to do is keep it to yourself, unless your with people that feel the same way. You can test the waters by asking them how they feel about the supernatural. ~Hlee
Dont be afraid of the dead its the living you should fear!Posted Image

#6 Ihearvoices

Ihearvoices

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

Over the years your able to know you can tell, and like Heavenlee said test the waters first.

#7 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

James...

I used to have the hesitations that you're feeling now ~

A little older and wiser now, and so I do it this way...I am proud of what I can do, I'm proud of the things I know to be true for me, I'm proud of the fact that I am always open to learning new things, I'm proud when I'm able to help people.

And so, I don't hold back at all. Everything I am and believe in doesn't need to be hidden.
What is there to be ashamed of? Why does it have to be a secret?

I don't toss it all into people's faces, of course..I hate it when beliefs are "forced" onto someone. But I sure will participate in a discussion and say what I think, rather than retreating to the back of the room, thinking "Well, they'd never believe me anyway."

James, be who you are. Be proud of it.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#8 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

Very well said Holly!

My exact feelings!

Be proud of your gifts, never fear others, its just their opinion/belief. You can always walk away from them.

I have found over the years more and more people are very open and accepting to these types of gifts.

Who knows, maybe you will open someones eyes and help them by sharing this with them.

Leslie
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#9 spiritlady

spiritlady

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:what ever comes to mind............

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

I know what your talking about, how many do u tell and what if you tell
the wrong person . but being sensitive is something that helps you, you can tell if someone will understand or if you should keep ur mouth shut.

with me ,i own a salon and i have i corner for metaphysical items , i do get the strang look ,but i find so many of the clientel are interested.
they ask me some questions, they now they can talk to me about it and not be judged by me. and as for me talking to people about it, thats when i let my sencitivity kick in.
my family knows mom/dad, friends. they don't really understand but they keep a open mind.

SPL :)
My Sesshomaru , my protectorPosted Image

#10 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

I always thought it must be a little like what Gay people go through. You really want to talk about it, but run the risk of being (fill in the blank here). Laughed at, called names, and later shunned -as in they don't want to be friends anymore. You just learn to trust your gut and if you feel that person will be all right with it, then you can bring it up. If you have a feeling this person will not accept you or your abilities, then don't bring it up. Just learn to trust yourself and you'll be fine.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#11 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:49 AM

Since I am gay and a witch, I have a whole lot of stuff I'm hiding from the world :Spaz: Someone once told me I choose a really hard reincarnation this time around. Guess I go some hard lessons to learn, huh? I actually find it much easier to discuss my sexual orientation with people than I do my gifts and my religious beliefs. I have always been very careful, in my adulthood, to only discuss things with people I felt might be understanding. I usually get really good gut instincts about who I can talk to and who I can't. I have a guy that I work with who calls me a witch because I belong to a medieval re-creation group. Why he seems to associate the two, I will never know, but he thinks he is kidding me. If he only know the truth! :Spaz: He's even asked me for a money spell so he can win the lottery. I just laughed and told him I would see what I could do.

Anyway, listen to your heart and you'll know who to tell and who not to.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 JamesDean

JamesDean

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:1. My fiancee, Melissa<br />2. Music/Guitar<br />3. Spirituality/Religion/Philosophy

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I have told a few people. One person thinks I'm a complete nutjob (but to be fair he thought that before I told him this! :clap: ). Another person I told believes in this sort of thing and was accepting. I'm currently a student at UNI, maybe I should see if there is some sort of campus group that believes in this sort of thing.

I think my fiancee is in the same boat as you, Ravenhecate. She has the same ability as me, and she is bisexual. Most people are accepting of her sexual orientation (from my experience it is more socially accpetable for a woman to like someone of the same sex than a guy). She is just worried about her parents finding out. When she was 16 she got her tongue pierced and her mom told her that she's rather her be pregnant than haver her tongue pierced, and then tried to kick her out of the house.

#13 xstarchild

xstarchild

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

Well, James Dean, I'm in the same boat as you are. The only person that I've told is my fiancÚ. A few family members of mine just clued in on their own about some things I can do. I personally don't like to talk (outside of this site, anyway) about it. There are too many closed-minded people in this world. Luckily you have your fiancÚ so you don't have to stay completely bottled up.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.

#14 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

You know what JamesDean? When I skirt around the issue with people (that I believe in the paranormal as I am not a sensative) they either get excited and say they do too and it starts a whole interesting conversation as if it's a secret club, OR, they change the subject and dismiss it and that's the end of it. Usually the people who change the subject get uncomfortable because they fear the unknown. At that point, I know not continue. As already stated, no one wants other beliefs pushed on them and thats fine.

I always thought that my husband was a big nonbeliever. Whenever I tell him something that happened, ie: the toys in the basement went on by itself etc., he would say nothing and dismiss it. Then the other night we were in bed watching "A Haunting" on TV. He told me to turn it off. I said I was interested in the show and wanted to continue watching and he kept urging me otherwise. Finally I said to him...."Your scared" He gave me a playful pinch on my arm and I knew my answer. He then said., "Well, I just don't want you to watch this show and then tell me our house is haunted" When I tried to explain that we did in fact have spirits of some sort, he pinched me again and tickled me until I stopped talking about it! Oh yeah, he's a believer alright but is afraid to talk about it.

Anyhow, if in doubt, and you need to talk, come to this site! Here you have a whole network of open minded nice wonderful people at your fingertips.

Welcome to Ghost Village

#15 paradox_found

paradox_found

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Energy healing, vibrational levels, spirit contact, healing with crystals, etc... Hubby and I own a bar/ restaurant which brings me lots of ppl to study.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

I think we all go through these questions, but after a while when we become more comfortable with our abilities it just becomes of fact of life. For the longest time I waited to be moved into speaking with someone. Now I seem to be able to state my case just as matter of factly as if I were telling them what was on the lunch menu!

Were are serving a spooky salad, with witch dressing.
Chakra balancing chicken with ghost glaze
with a side of empathic enchaladas

and for dessert may I spirit guide you to the aura orange cream pie? lol!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users