Hauntings and 'cult' activity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 29 June 2003 - 03:58 PM

Hey all,

I've a question.  In a lot of books and articles that I read on locations that have a reputation for being haunted, I also find references to activities in the area attributed to satanic cults or witches.  (and as a Pagan, I do find that annoying actually...but a whole different thread on a whole different board)

So my question is, when you go to research and investigate a location that has that kind of 'legend' surrounding it, just how much do you think that the supposed cult activity effects the legends and stories surrounding the location?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:07 PM

I have moved vampchicks topic to Haunted Locations as she will get a better response here rather than in Skeptics. :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#3 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:22 PM

Well the cult ties or activities could possibly effect the legend as being told by mouth, but if the haunting is not cult related it will not change from what little hunting I have done in those areas. We have an area near me that has been haunted for as long as I can remember. The hauntings are due to the massive numbers of graves, marked and unmarked in the area. This is an area that has graves that are marked as far back as early 1600's and also has at least one native american burial ground in the area. The cult activities started occurring in later years, or at least was discovered. Now there is no cult activity there anymore but the hauntings are still there. Now there have been countless legends that have come up due to the cult activity but none have been proven in any way.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:31 PM

First off, thanks flyingorb!  I wasn't sure if it went here or under Skeptics.  The follies of a newbie.   :-[

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 29 June 2003 - 07:30 PM

Hi Vampchick,

Not a folly at all, I am glad to see the new folks posting.  Glad I could help. :)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users