Haunted Places in Mass

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Snake

Snake

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hey everyone this is my first post here in the forums. It is a really cool place here and I hope to post any findings of mine here.

I live in Western Massachusetts, Berkshire County to be precise and I am familiar with the Hoosac Tunnel and all of its legends. But I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of some legends that I have heard of and maybe have some information on them. I heard that somewhere in Adams on a road at night something along the lines of a ghost boy runs in front of your car and disapears. I am gonna try to find out as much as possible from asking around. Also in Adams I've heard that the cemetary containing the old Quaker Meeting House has voices and other weird sounds. And in Savoy, Ive heard of some sort of haunted house or haunted farm and a man who claims to practice withcraft. Finally, in Cheshire is a very large Lime Quarry which I have visited which is still used slightly but into the woods are paths and some abandoned machinery and I have to say at night you see things. Ive seen eyes before (I cannot verify if they were animals eyes, but I'd think I would hear an animal big enough to have eyes a few feet above the ground)

Does anyone know anything about what I have mentioned? I'm going to do some research on my own, but wa sinterested in what you guys would know.

#2 diamonds

diamonds

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, ghosts, and more ghosts!!!

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

Hey everyone this is my first post here in the forums. It is a really cool place here and I hope to post any findings of mine here.

I live in Western Massachusetts, Berkshire County to be precise and I am familiar with the Hoosac Tunnel and all of its legends. But I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of some legends that I have heard of and maybe have some information on them. I heard that somewhere in Adams on a road at night something along the lines of a ghost boy runs in front of your car and disapears. I am gonna try to find out as much as possible from asking around. Also in Adams I've heard that the cemetary containing the old Quaker Meeting House has voices and other weird sounds. And in Savoy, Ive heard of some sort of haunted house or haunted farm and a man who claims to practice withcraft. Finally, in Cheshire is a very large Lime Quarry which I have visited which is still used slightly but into the woods are paths and some abandoned machinery and I have to say at night you see things. Ive seen eyes before (I cannot verify if they were animals eyes, but I'd think I would hear an animal big enough to have eyes a few feet above the ground)

Does anyone know anything about what I have mentioned? I'm going to do some research on my own, but wa sinterested in what you guys would know.

Hi, I can tell you that my Grandfather had 9 broters hat all came over from Ireland and were all involved and died in the explosion (total 186 men) my uncle now live right near there inWilliamstown ( North Adams) he is the head professor at North Adams State College and his students tell him stories about the tunnel , he has been there once he told me and i hve a friend that went there but my uncle just felt real creeped out and couldnt go inside.........I hope to get there myself because ive been to almost all other MASS haunted places so I might as well hit that one since my family died there....
diamonds

#3 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

Grew up out there - there are some terrific Graveyards to go exploring. Lots of abandoned houses too, to seek out along back roads.
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#4 MoonStone

MoonStone

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Dear Snake,
I am incredibly glad that you made your post! Quite coincidentally, I myself used to live in Berkshire County in Massachusetts a couple of years ago. I lived in Lenox near Pittsfield. I only know of but a few spooks, but I can tell you them. One place that I've heard some legends & stories about is and old boarding-school named, "The DeSisto School"- near TangleWood. It might currently be shut-down as of now due to some controversial activity that was always in our local news....well, anyways...some of the things that I have heard through some sources are, that there were many suicides at that school, which lead to some creepy hauntings there; or the fact that the place was extremely ancient and had previous owners way back in time. The old owners of the school owned a huge horse-farm or something on the property, and it somehow burned down...and that leads me to believe that there must be some kind of paranormal activity going on, because the horses died in the fire...-probably doesn't sound like much, but I can tell you some other strange things that I am aware of...Well- whenever I drove by the place, I always got the most unsettling energy..being that I consider myself to be somewhat of an em-path/psychic....and some minor mediumistic qualities...well, knowing in my brain what I know of that place..and then being in its presence...I have to claim that something was just not right..
Some other creepy places around Berkshire County that I know of are, a couple of old graveyards in Lenox..that I pick up on "Haunted-Energy"...ohh and by the way, I do know of that quarry that you were referring too....I've been there...and I myself have seen things out of the corner of my eye from time to time..
Well, I'm glad that I got to come in contact w/ someone that has lived where I used to live....I would like to hear from you some more here, and possibly discuss some "spooky" places... -MoonStone :)

#5 Snake

Snake

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

Dear Snake,
I am incredibly glad that you made your post! Quite coincidentally, I myself used to live in Berkshire County in Massachusetts a couple of years ago. I lived in Lenox near Pittsfield. I only know of but a few spooks, but I can tell you them. One place that I've heard some legends & stories about is and old boarding-school named, "The DeSisto School"- near TangleWood. It might currently be shut-down as of now due to some controversial activity that was always in our local news....well, anyways...some of the things that I have heard through some sources are, that there were many suicides at that school, which lead to some creepy hauntings there; or the fact that the place was extremely ancient and had previous owners way back in time. The old owners of the school owned a huge horse-farm or something on the property, and it somehow burned down...and that leads me to believe that there must be some kind of paranormal activity going on, because the horses died in the fire...-probably doesn't sound like much, but I can tell you some other strange things that I am aware of...Well- whenever I drove by the place, I always got the most unsettling energy..being that I consider myself to be somewhat of an em-path/psychic....and some minor mediumistic qualities...well, knowing in my brain what I know of that place..and then being in its presence...I have to claim that something was just not right..
Some other creepy places around Berkshire County that I know of are, a couple of old graveyards in Lenox..that I pick up on "Haunted-Energy"...ohh and by the way, I do know of that quarry that you were referring too....I've been there...and I myself have seen things out of the corner of my eye from time to time..
Well, I'm glad that I got to come in contact w/ someone that has lived where I used to live....I would like to hear from you some more here, and possibly discuss some "spooky" places... -MoonStone :)

Hey Moonstone! Good to hear from a local! Weather here has been somewhat cold and crappy. I haven't gotten to go ghost hunting around, but once its gets nicer I will go exploring. It's weird that you mentioned seeing stuff out of the corner of your eye at the quarry..................................same thing happened to me. I was walking up the path that goes out of the inside of the quarry and I swore I saw something dark in my perephial vision, and i looked and nothing was there. And I remeber just about everytime I was there, it was just weird. I can't explain it it didn't feel right for woods. Like when I'm in the woods behind my house its well, woods, but the quarry has this eery silence.

#6 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Where is the best place to access the Hoosac tunnel? Have any of you been inside of it? I am from Mass. too, but northeastern MA, in Newburyport on the coast near the NH border. My husband has always wanted to visit that tunnel. Are there better places you can enter the tunnel and park your car? Are there any "no trespassing" signs?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#7 MoonStone

MoonStone

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

Dear Snake,
Thanks for responding to my post! I'm sooo glad that we are on the subject of ghost-activity in that area! Well..I do have to say that when I lived in that part of Massachusetts, I could literally "feel" the ghostly, or otherworldly energy thick in the air there... :hug: It was like I could cut it with a knife or something. As you know, there are ALOT of woods and forests around...and, I've been in quite a few, and I can definitely say that there is always something spooky there...This probably sounds stupid, but I still have nightmares about those woods because of the "aura" of it all. I've read in some paranormal books, that there are such things called- "Energy Vortexes"; and I am 99% positive that, that entire area is one! The reason why I believe this is because, I sense SO much of that type of energy, seen so many spirits/ghosts, and have heard so many stories...ect, that it is obvious. When I lived there, I felt like I was in some kind of "warp" or something...Well maybe you have the same experiences-being that you live there. I would really like to hear from you, and hear your experiences and observations there! I could go on and on, but I'll save that for some future postings! Well, nice communicating w/ you and everybody else!!....Sincerely, MoonStone :)

#8 Snake

Snake

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hello everyone! Its been a while and I have been trying to find time to visit some places that are haunted. I have spoken with a few people and learned of a few places out in the boonies of Berkshire County (Becket, Cummington, Windsor, Savoy area) There is an abandoned farm in Windsor State forest that I visited and there were some weird things. Everything is boarded up and a very old cemetary is nearby. A few friends of mine went recently and said in one of the barns there was a random noose and jars in the basement with weird things in them. (I didn's stay long for a full investigation I wasn't sure if I was gonna get busted by forest rangers cause it was the afternoon) I heard that there is a house in Savoy where someone was killed and buried in the basement and there is blood in the attic. And also somewhere else is a abanoned camp with many gravestones thats supposed to be haunted. And I heard of Becket Quarry and that sounded interesting. Does anyone have some information about these places, I'd love to go check them out.

#9 spelling

spelling

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

belated welcome! you sound like you have some pretty good areas for doing some serious investigating! keep us updated on what you discover, please. :clap:

#10 TheTrain22

TheTrain22

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

Where is the best place to access the Hoosac tunnel? Have any of you been inside of it? I am from Mass. too, but northeastern MA, in Newburyport on the coast near the NH border. My husband has always wanted to visit that tunnel. Are there better places you can enter the tunnel and park your car? Are there any "no trespassing" signs?

I've been in the Hoosac Tunnel several times and there are not any "no trespassing" signs. There is an East Portal and a West Portal to the tunnel. The East Portal is much easier to access because you can almost pull right up to it with your car. But either way, all the times I've been in there, strange things happened.

#11 COLDSPOT

COLDSPOT

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

I've been in the Hoosac Tunnel several times and there are not any "no trespassing" signs. There is an East Portal and a West Portal to the tunnel. The East Portal is much easier to access because you can almost pull right up to it with your car. But either way, all the times I've been in there, strange things happened.

Actaully I have been there many times it is very creepy!! Both easternand western portals.I have walked the entire 5 mile tunnel once scared me to death never again i couldn't get ot fast enough!!!! Other than the sounds i was freaked out about trains. The eastern portal in rowe is easily acessableand you actually drive right up to it the wetern portal is alittle of a hike. although no one listens the western portal is actually private property owed by Conrail and you can get in trouble if caught by train officials so the eastern portal would be best. I also heard about a hauned puddle in october mountain state forest it is aaid that on the road to summit ther eis a puddle that never dries up if you go there at night and blink your headlight three times a ghost is supposed to appear never tried it but imight anyone else heard of this legend.

#12 DanG

DanG

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

hey snake whats goin on my name is Dan. i just moved into wersern mass, and im interested in getting together with some one to help out with some investigations. I am 18 and availabe almost any time. you can e-mail me personally if you would like to discuss this further.
Thanks for your time.

#13 billyd28709

billyd28709

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:paranormal, hauntings, ghosts, cryptids, reading, battlefields, cemeteries

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi can you give directions from the Boston area? thanks!
[b][/Billy D. the truth is out there.b]

#14 jason82

jason82

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Music, Guitar, Reading, ghost, some movies and tv

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

Hi can you give directions from the Boston area? thanks!

you cant trespass on railways and u dont want to go exploring on a whim at this place even if u want to ignore the fact its illegal...its very dangerous the tunnel is STILL in use despite some mis information that its not
Trust me Don't Cross the Streams!!

#15 desistoghost

desistoghost

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hi, I just stumbled upon this site. I went to the DeSisto School (Bonnie Briar farm) in the 80's. I had a couple of things happen in the mansion but the real activity was in what we called Roberts House. That is the white house across from the main north gate. I have heard footsteps and doors slamming when I was with 2 others and we were all together. No one else was int he house as we were getting it ready to accept students (They were all in the dining room and it was BIG trouble if you left the DR without permission). We ran from the attic down the stairs an no one was there! We told no one as we did not want to start a panic or give people reasons to make things up.
Later on I saw lights go on and off by themselves which I attributed to old wiring but I knew that couldn't account for all of the incidents. There were cold spots. I felt a cat on my back in my room when I was sleeping. It woke me up. I never had a cat on my back before (Didn't really like them back then) and as I turned my head to see what was on my back I felt the weight of it "lift off" of me. My door was open about 3 inches at most and my bed was right near the door. I closed the door and searched my room. No cat. I told no one about that either. Years later (10 or so) I spoke with an old friend from that dorm who got back in touch with me and she told me of a cat that woke her up by laying on her chest and purring and even screamed (Yowled, I guess) but nothing was there. Windows and door closed. Her roommates also had the same thing.
There were a few other things reported to me by others and that I experienced but I think this is enough for one night :).
I hope you find this interesting. It is all true. I had entertained the idea of ghosts prior to this but I always thought most of it could be explained away scientifically. Not most of what I experienced there.....
Cheers,
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users