Our Troth

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

Has anyone read "Our Troth: Volume 1: History and Lore" by Kveldulf Gundarsson?

I'm finding it a little slow. The first section on the history seems to make a lot out of a little. Between the lines I keep reading "We don't have any information on this point, so I will just hazard that this is what it means."

The author also presents the information as 'the' information on Heathenism.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

I haven't read it yet, on my list of things to order after everything important is done first. However, the difficulty with Asatru is that it is a Reconstructionist Religion and the only surviving descriptions of how our ancestors worshipped come from either Roman scholars who had a bias against the "Northern Invaders" or Catholic clergy who had their own bias. Both groups did a great service recording the information that they did but it isn't complete, there are no details to say what the people did when and why. Its hard to build a faith based on a faith that hadn't been openly practiced since 1100 but the authors from The Troth and other heathen organizations are trying.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:00 AM

Its hard to build a faith based on a faith that hadn't been openly practiced since 1100 but the authors from The Troth and other heathen organizations are trying.

I can understand how much work it is to reconstruct something from only hints and archeology, however the book is really thick. The writing is not very clean. I glanced through a lot of the history stuff because it zig zagged round a lot.

The sections on each specific god are pretty good, but still wordy.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users