7 replies to this topic

#1 traveller

traveller

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:history reincarnation and past lives givng a helping hand

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

has anyone her been to a seance? would you go back again or was it dumb i have a chance to go to one and dont kno what to expect or should i even bother

#2 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

I went to one and would go to another anytime. I am a complete non-believer, but gmade an honest aeffort to participate and make it a sucess, and it was a really fun time.

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#3 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

I would definitely go. I think it would be really neat. :kitty:
petunia4998

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

I went to a couple even though I am a total disbeliever. It can be a fun event though, you just have to kind of go along with the spirit of the event and get involved. I wouldn't really expect much in the way of anything serious, but you can still have a good time at one.

#5 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

On the subject of seance's - I have a query of (mostly) the skeptics who've responded to traveller's question. I very much respect both Canis and Caverat and their often compelling and informational posts, and would be interested in understanding how you experience a seance, as a skeptic. I consider myself a 'skeptical believer', and believe I would find a seance to be fascinating, and possibly revealing - IF there were no obvious and verifiable 'tricks' being used and participants and facilitators were sincere in their attempts to contact those on the other side of the veil. Anywho, just a curious question from a skeptical believer to the open-minded and knowledgeable skeptics here at GV.
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

I can't speak for others but as I understand the question it asks in so many words,"How can a skeptic participate in a seance without critiquing everything?"

From my point of view it requires a bit of mind control or shutting down the portion of the mind which asks How and Why. In a way it's not much different than following a story of fiction. Even though some of what is said seems unlikely or implausible you must simply accept it without question. It's like when Scotty beams up Captain Kirk, even the skeptic watching the show accepts that transporters are fact for benefit of the storyline.

That doesn't mean you disregard common sense, you still are alert for fraud or trickery. But once you get past that stage it's just a matter of getting in a mind set and going with the program. At least that's how I do it!

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

I have never been to seance, but I would be interested to 'watch" a session - merely to quench my curiosity. I would not participate in one though.
Posted Image

#8 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Just a question, Moonie. Why would you not want to participate? :kitty:
petunia4998

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users