Medical Myths and Urban Legends

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

If you are drunk and want to sober up, you should eat bread because it will "soak up" the alcohol...

Cayenne pepper is supposed to counteract the effects of alcohol also. I don't drink so I never tried it. :clap:
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#32 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

Unbelievable Gas Mileage

"a friend of mine, friend of a friend, so on and so forth" Buy a brand new car and instead of getting the miles per gallon reported by the dealer. (lets just say 20 miles per gallon) they find there wonderful new purchase getting some ridiculous number of mile's, 200 pr gallon.
They then stupidly call, write to or even go in person to tell the manufacturer how happy they are. The manufacturer asks if they can examine the vehicle to "verify" this clam. The customer get's there car back only to find there wonderful new car is the same as all the rest, getting its pitiful 20 miles to the gallon.

This story does vary, some claim that they hear the hood of there car slamming shut in the middle of the night, and the next day there car only gets the 20 miles per gallon.

It is always... "they took something out" "they made some mysterious adjustment"

I've heard this one but the topic is medical myths.

I know its not a Medical Myth. But it is an Urban Legend.

M

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#33 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

How about the Life cereal Kid "Mikie"

Him supposedly dyeing when he ate pop rock candies and drank soda at the same time.

That was my favorite candy for a while when I was a kid.

LOL try containing the foam when you mix em in your mouth,. :clap:

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#34 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

I know its not a Medical Myth. But it is an Urban Legend.

M

Yes, but the topic is urban legends and myths relating to medical. We don't want to stray from the original topic.

From the OP...

Anyway, let's share some of the medical urban legends that you have heard.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#35 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:09 PM

If you are drunk and want to sober up, you should eat bread because it will "soak up" the alcohol...

Cayenne pepper is supposed to counteract the effects of alcohol also. I don't drink so I never tried it. :Spaz:

I've actually heard that you're supposd to eat carbs with your booze... something about how it metabolizes. That and strong black coffee. I've never tried it... Never been drunk. Underage (only 19) and i already look and talk like a drunk... Hate to see me drunk. Plus can't mix "good" pain meds and alcohol.
Love life.

#36 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

the one my grandma told me before was if you shave your eyebrows off they'll never grow back.

Or that if you wear wigs your real hair will all fall out.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#37 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:38 PM

It all depends on how often a wig is worn. If a wig is worn frequently it could cause the hair to thin out. Same could happen to those who frequently wear hats/caps.

Since I'll only wear wigs for costuming, I don't have that problem. My mom has worn wigs for most of her life (she admits laziness in doing up her own hair), she has incredibly thinning hair and bald spots making a wig necessary.

I used to be a licensed cosmetologist in CA back in the day. :ghost:
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#38 jericho380

jericho380

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music,Camping,Guitar (25 years of playing &quot;blues on blues guitar&quot;) Dj'ing on shoutcast radio and anything &quot;heating ventilation airconditioning&quot; as thats my job. Oh yes...paranormal activities and sites.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

the one my grandma told me before was if you shave your eyebrows off they'll never grow back.

Ive worn berets, military helmets and ballcaps all my life. Judging from the lack of hair on the back of my head....I can absolutley say thats true...lol

#39 Henry D

Henry D

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

Cayenne pepper is supposed to counteract the effects of alcohol also. I don't drink so I never tried it. ;)

Having been a medic and in the medical industry since Adam was a boy, I can tell you that nothing will affect the effects of alcohol either before, during or after intoxication. The only thing that best to do for the intoxicated is to make them sleep. Save the coffe, pepper and salad because it with not change things. BTW: I have no clue how carns will help because most alcohol are carbs.

What really scares me today is how medical myths and old wives tales that can actually hurt folks.
You would not believe how many burn calls we get and when we get on scene the patients tell us that they or a loved one put butter on the burn to make it feel better. I always want to ask them what veggies they were serving with the burned appendage. NEVER, I repeat NEVER put butter on a burn. The reason the burn hurts is that the skin is stil cooking and cold water is the only thing that will stop the burning action. You know what is happening when you take a steak off the grill and it is still sizzling? It is still cooking, just like the hand you just burnt.

Best Regards!

HenryD
Bellingham, MA

Edited by Henry D, 07 May 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#40 Henry D

Henry D

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

Cayenne pepper is supposed to counteract the effects of alcohol also. I don't drink so I never tried it. ;)

Having been a medic and in the medical industry since Adam was a boy, I can tell you that nothing will affect the effects of alcohol either before, during or after intoxication. The only thing that best to do for the intoxicated is to make them sleep. Save the coffee, pepper and salad because it with not change things. BTW: I have no clue how carbs will help because most alcohol are carbs.
In the hospital environment, intoxicated patients are put on a "Banana Bag" which is delivered via IV and contains saline, thiamine, B12, folic acid, magnesium sulfate, MVI and dextrose. The folic acid gives it the yellow color hence the name.

What really scares me today is how medical myths and old wives tales that can actually hurt folks.
You would not believe how many burn calls we get and when we get on scene the patients tell us that they or a loved one put butter on the burn to make it feel better. I always want to ask them what veggies they were serving with the burned appendage. NEVER, I repeat NEVER put butter on a burn. The reason the burn hurts is that the skin is still cooking and cold water is the only thing that will stop the burning action. You know what is happening when you take a steak off the grill and it is still sizzling? It is still cooking, just like the hand you just burnt.

Best Regards!

HenryD
Bellingham, MA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users