What can be used as a Digital Recorder?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kieran7213

Kieran7213

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:38 AM

Hey there! I know this sounds like a weird question, but instead of buying a Digital Recorder (I will if I need to), what else can be used to record voices?

Could I use the recorder on my phone?

Thanks!

-Kieran

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

Not recommended.   The sample rate is too low, as well as the A to D converter uses only 16 bits.  It seems to be the trend these days to want to use a phone for everything.   Phones are really only good for calling people and keeping in touch.  The Apps available are generally low quality toys or novelty items.  If you want a camera, get a camera with a decent sized lens capable of admitting sufficient light.  If you want a recorder, buy a recorder.

Regarding what to look for in a recorder for EVP work, the specs are as follows:

1.  24 Bit A to D converter  (Check the specs on the recorder you are considering, most provide this data)

2. 96 KBPS or higher Sample rate .   Many recorders do several options; you want to use the HQ setting which gives the highest

3.  Records in Stereo.   2 external mic inputs or two mics.

4.  Non lossy conversion algorithm   PCM (Pulse Code Modulation)   not CELP  (Code Excited Linear Prediction)

5. Non lossy record format.   (WAV, not MP3 or other compressed files)

6.  Well shielded against stray RF.  (This one is a bit tricky as most manufacturers don't provide this data.  A technician can evaluate your recorder  though and verify the presence of such shielding.)

There are many makes that meet these specs;  any recorder that does can be considered based on ease of use and other such opinions you may have.  Plan on spending $100 for one; more will probably get you a better recorder with more options, your choice beyond the basics......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users