26 replies to this topic

#1 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal. music. creating web sites

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Tell what it is about scary movies that frighten you the most. Blood and gore or head games?

For me its head games. the slasher and splatter films overdo it too much for me. they just come off as more comical then scary. put something in there that's going to play with my mind and let my imagination run free though and it completely freaks me out. unfortunately though there are very few movies that let your imagination just go. they always have to show something that always turns out goofy or just plain stupid or way too predicable and that just ruins it for me. :D

Edited by LanceM, 26 October 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#2 TheGrayLady

TheGrayLady

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

The hands down scariest movie for me was Silence of the Lambs. The fact that there are really people capable doing of such horrible things is scarier than any invented monster. I'm going with mind games!

#3 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

~I'm going with blood & gore....but not the crappy kind either. I liked Final Destination because of the "in your face" blood & gore. Plus the Midnight Meat Train, that'll work for me too!
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#4 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

I only saw the the original Final Destination and that was not just blood and gore but had some serious mind games going on.

I don't like the blood and gore stuff and I really do perfer suspense and an actual story line. For me the scariest movie was The Exorcist. I also like The Sixth Sense a lotl
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#5 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

~I too just love The 6th Sense & The Exorcist...awesome!
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#6 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

Love the exorcist, Final Destination, The 6th Sense, and Silence of the Lambs. Most recent movie i saw that played with my mind really really good was Paranormal Activity! :Wall:

Edited by LanceM, 27 October 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#7 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

While not really a horror film. The last time that I was greatly affected by movie was "The Green Mile". I could almost feel for what John Coffey (Michael Clark Duncan) was going through.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#8 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Just rewatched Stephen King's IT and Oh. My. God. Still as freakin' scary in ways as when I first saw it when I was little. *shudders* That movie is why I don't like clowns that much.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#9 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

I enjoy blood and gore but I find a movie where you never really see the "monster, ghost, killer" Alot scarier. I love the movies that creep you out so much that you want to sleep with the lights on. Your basic slasher movie or Saw type movie (i enjoy them) doesn't do it for me.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#10 jenkob

jenkob

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, spirits, angels, other-worldly entities. <br />Reading when I have the time, visits to the mountains or ocean. Historic places, cemeteries, archives, genealogy. <br />Ghost tours, hunts-though I have never been on one, communication, witches and spirit mediums.<br />Other interests: Incredible out-of-body experiences, visitations, various psychic phenomena. Waverly Manor in Louisville, KY.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

I guess I am kinda strange inthat both the psycho thrillers: Silence of the Lambs, The Others, Exorcist, 6th Sense, The Shining, etc as well as the blood/gore: Halloween (only the first one), Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Saw, Jennifer's Body, etc. get to me. I really hate cheesy gore...and usually hate the remake or 'the next' one...with the exception of the Saw series.
My favorites combine the blood/guts/gore and have the key element of psycho thriller/head games....The Exorcist and Saw are very good examples of incorporating the best of horror. Oh yeah, Paranormal Activity scared me real good!

#11 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

I guess I am kinda strange inthat both the psycho thrillers: Silence of the Lambs, The Others, Exorcist, 6th Sense, The Shining, etc as well as the blood/gore: Halloween (only the first one), Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Saw, Jennifer's Body, etc. get to me. I really hate cheesy gore...and usually hate the remake or 'the next' one...with the exception of the Saw series.
My favorites combine the blood/guts/gore and have the key element of psycho thriller/head games....The Exorcist and Saw are very good examples of incorporating the best of horror. Oh yeah, Paranormal Activity scared me real good!

I think Paranormal Activity has to be the scariest movie that i have ever seen. Never jumped that much at a movie in my life. And trust me Ive seen so many horror and thriller films i couldn't even begin to count them. For some reason that one really really really had me freaked out!

#12 Billydew

Billydew

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Reading intelligently written books, listening to music (folk/blues/rock/'50s/'60s/'70s),art,writing poetry, vegetarian cookery, history, animals, astrology and all things mystical, countryside, some T.V., some radio, films, theatre, restaurants, art galleries and museums.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

Maybe I'm a bit odd, or just getting cynical in my old age, but 'though I enjoy watching a good horror or ghost film none of them scare me. I will happily sit and watch them on my own into the early hours and not bat an eyelid, because in the end I know it's all make believe and special effects. The kind of film that does unsettle me tends to be those that are based on events that have truly happened. I ended up in tears when I first saw The Deerhunter because I knew it depicted a lot that was based on horrible truths, and I've never been able to bring myself to watch it again since. To me, the cruel things that happen in the real world are far more scary than any fantasy horror movie.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again." Thomas Paine.

#13 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

Maybe I'm a bit odd, or just getting cynical in my old age, but 'though I enjoy watching a good horror or ghost film none of them scare me. I will happily sit and watch them on my own into the early hours and not bat an eyelid, because in the end I know it's all make believe and special effects. The kind of film that does unsettle me tends to be those that are based on events that have truly happened. I ended up in tears when I first saw The Deerhunter because I knew it depicted a lot that was based on horrible truths, and I've never been able to bring myself to watch it again since. To me, the cruel things that happen in the real world are far more scary than any fantasy horror movie.

Thats the exact same way I feel about Schindlers List. That movie is just too horrific for me to see twice...almost didn't make it through the first time I watched it.

#14 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

The shocking ending of Stephen King's "The Mist" while not scary still left me in a lurch.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#15 Mercury

Mercury

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Well, I have many intrests. The Supernatural is obvious.<br /><br />Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do alot of art, and not to toot my own horn, I'm darn good at it. Its something I'm proud of.<br /><br />Antiques are another passion of mine. Be it furniture, or World War 1 era weapons and collectibles. Which leads to the last intrest I'll post.<br /><br />History. I Love history. Though I do take the most intrest in events after the American Revolution.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Blood and Gore which are mostly overdone, overbudget, brainless, for the moment scares, just dont cut it. Suspense and mind games are king. The individuals mind can paint a custom tailored image that brings forth more fear than any mass-market broad audience visual affects can

I dig the Mind Games and suspense. hands down.

Session 9
Event Horizon (Which does have a good bit of gore, but alot of suspense and mind screwing)
Sixth Sense
Mothman
That Kevin Bacon movie ( I cant believe I forgot the name of it)
The Changling (The George C Scott ghost movie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users