Vanishing Hitchhiker/Phantom Hitchhiker

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Ghost hunting (see above listed web site)

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

In the state of Arkansas on US 365 going south from Little Rock to Pine Bluff has always been the site of rumors, bizarre occurences, and urban legend. It was the old way to get to Little Rock (In Central Arkansas) from the Southern part of the state before the interstate. Now its sparesly traveled. Many rumors persist and have since the fifties.Between the towns of Woodson and Redfield is the vanishing hitch hiker. Several varieties. One (female) appareas on a bridge and wants a ride home. She disappears out of the car. One version has a male hitchhiker who talks about the second coming and then disappears out of the car. One if a girl who runs out in front of your car, you hit the brakes, her body impacts, you stop,search, and no body to be found!
Local teens (I assume) have painted a pentagram in a circle in white paint. Rummor is if you stop, turn out your lights,honk 3 times, a light with motocycle sounds appareas and comes straight for you and goes right through the car.

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:24 AM

That is some story...do you know of anybody first hand that has tried this?
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

It is my understanding that it was written up in an Arkansas Gazette newspaper in July of 1980 as reported by a book called Phantom Hitchhikers. (Like Ive said that road, 365,has always had a long reputation of the weird and bizarre going back decades) Allegedly It happened to two UCA (University of Central Arkansas ) girls and was investigated by Arkansas State Trooper Robert Rooten.

How do I subscribe so that I know when someone replies to my messages?

That is some story...do you know of anybody first hand that has tried this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

There should be something about that in the Technical Support board hon. :Spaz:

Do you know of the other weird and bizzare happenings that you alluded to? I'd love to hear them.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hi SJ,
Check "enable email notification" that is above "add reply" when you reply to a post. It's with "enable emoticons" and "enable signature".
If I was anywhere near Arkansas (which I'm not -- Canada!) I would say the hitchhiker stories would be worth researching. First I'd check past obits for that road and then go shoot some pics and fun stuff like that.
The whole turn off your lights, honk 3 times thing kind of sounds like an urban legend to me though.
But if you pick someone up on that road, and it's a ghost, let us know!!

#6 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

A couple of months ago, late at night, I was returning home on 365 South from Little Rock. 365 is very rural, lots of trees, miles and miles of no houses,.bunch of swamps and abandoned cemetaries, when I saw a body in the middle of the road. I stopped. I debated going up to see if he was all right, but it could also have been a set up for a car jacking. It was very dark and rural and people could have been hiding behind nearby trees. He wasnt on the side of the road, he was in the middle of the road. I called 911 and waited. When they showed up and approached him, he got up, he was passed out drunk, not dead,and I hope he spent the night in jail.Had I passed by and not called 911 he might have been run over. I know this isnt paranormal but its an example of the weirdness that effects that area that locals call "spook Road" or the "empty quarter"

There should be something about that in the Technical Support board hon.  :Spaz:

Do you know of the other weird and bizzare happenings that you alluded to?  I'd love to hear them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#7 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

:Spaz: Man, guy all alone on a road passed out drunk! He is lucky he wasn't run over.
Smart thinking on not getting out of your car. You don't want to end up a ghost yourself! :wow:

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:19 AM

In Hawaii, we talk of Madame Pele (the fire goddess) taking on human form and seeing if the aloha spirit is alive. Pele can appear as a young lady or old woman. If you see her and don't offer her a ride, bad luck will follow you for a year (most often starting with unexplained car troubles that very day). If you pick her up, she disappears after a mile or so, but good luck will come your way for a year.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#9 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

Ok folks:Thanks for the tips. I now know how to subscribe.
I did go to the pentragram on hiway 365 S in Arkansas (The back way from Little Rock to Pine Bluff) The pentragram is on a side road called Woodson Lateral off of 365. I did turn my car off , flash my lights 3 times, even honked, nothing happened. We tried a few more times and left. As we were going down Woodson lateral raod back to 365 a car pulled behind us and tailgated. We passed a cementary, they pulled off and entered the cementary. It was an unmarked cop car and 2 cops got out with flash lights and searched the cementary. I wonder why we didnt get stopped?
Now the book entitled The Evidence For Phantom Hitch-Hikers by Michael Gross has a account of the vanishing hitch hiker than may the news in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette on 25 July 1980 investiagated by state trooper Robert Roten along with several other accounts from people. I might go see if I can find it on microfilm and print it out.

In Hawaii, we talk of Madame Pele (the fire goddess) taking on human form and seeing if the aloha spirit is alive.  Pele can appear as a young lady or old woman.  If you see her and don't offer her a ride, bad luck will follow you for a year (most often starting with unexplained car troubles that very day).  If you pick her up, she disappears after a mile or so, but good luck will come your way for a year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

I wonder what the police were looking for? Trespassers in the cemetary? Looking for someone that ran from them and they supsect he/she is in there? Either way, interesting. :Wall:

Aloha, I read about those kinds of Madam Pele encounters in one of my books (either Haunted America or Historic Haunted America, can't remember exactly which one).

I was reading a book on Canadian Ghost stories last night and found that there's a similar kind in the Province of Saskatchewan, not very well known, caleld "The Yorkton Child". In essence a young girl disappears at a rural crossroads somewhere near the community of Yorkton (no dates given that I know of for her disappearance). On the anniversary of her disappearance, she appears in that area and when a motorist stops to help her, she dissappears.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

I was indeed correct. The states leading newspaper, The arkansas Gazette, did indeed report upon a slash of disappearing hitchhiker that plagued the state in July of 1980. It was in the Friday, July 25th, 1980 edition section 5a.

I wonder what the police were looking for? Trespassers in the cemetary? Looking for someone that ran from them and they supsect he/she is in there? Either way, interesting. :ghost:

Aloha, I read about those kinds of Madam Pele encounters in one of my books (either Haunted America or Historic Haunted America, can't remember exactly which one).

I was reading a book on Canadian Ghost stories last night and found that there's a similar kind in the Province of Saskatchewan, not very well known, caleld "The Yorkton Child". In essence a young girl disappears at a rural crossroads somewhere near the community of Yorkton (no dates given that I know of for her disappearance). On the anniversary of her disappearance, she appears in that area and when a motorist stops to help her, she dissappears.

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:02 PM

lol...I don't think I can get my hands on that (I live in Canada) but thanks for the info!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:04 PM

Ok, believe it or not I have found an actual eye witness to the bizarre happenings upon highway 365 S in Arkansas. In the old days, before the interstate, highway 365 was the only way to get from southeast Arkansas to Little rock in the central part of the state. It is sparesly traveled, devoid og houses for the most part, the side of the road are swampy and bog like and there is even a abandoned cementarty or two. The trees above the road in manty places are so think they firm a tunnel effect, their branches often over lapping above you car.
Anyway way back in 1948 a man I knew was coming back from Little rock pulling an empty cotton trailor with another man. Both worked for the Department of Correction and has just delivered a load of freshly picked cotton from the prision to Little Rock. As they passed through the town of Woodson, Arkansas heading towards Pine Bluff they crossed over some railroad tracks and curved a hard left as highway 365 does. A little further they saw a couple, as in a boy and girl , in their late teens or early twenties standing in the middle of a bridge and trying to wave them down. They assumed care trouble but thought it strange that they had just come from Little Rock and had not seen a single car stranded on the side of the road. Anyway the couple had to move as they approached because the bridge was so narrow. As soon as they apssed them they puulled off to see what the matter was. The coupkle was no where to be found. Being prision gaurds they were armed at all times with search lights and fire arms. they went to the woods and searched for 30 to 45 minutes, looking everywhere, even under the bridges. They couldnt find a trace, and remember these are men trained to spot hiding places escapees might use. It was as if they vanished in thin air!

quote name='SchattenJager' date='Feb 8 2006, 11:52 PM' post='287733']
I was indeed correct. The states leading newspaper, The arkansas Gazette, did indeed report upon a slash of disappearing hitchhiker that plagued the state in July of 1980. It was in the Friday, July 25th, 1980 edition section 5a.

[quote name='Vampchick21' post='258967' date='Nov 27 2005, 12:40 PM']I wonder what the police were looking for? Trespassers in the cemetary? Looking for someone that ran from them and they supsect he/she is in there? Either way, interesting. :ghost:

I was reading a book on Canadian Ghost stories last night and found that there's a similar kind in the Province of Saskatchewan, not very well known, caleld "The Yorkton Child". In essence a young girl disappears at a rural crossroads somewhere near the community of Yorkton (no dates given that I know of for her disappearance). On the anniversary of her disappearance, she appears in that area and when a motorist stops to help her, she dissappears.[/quote]
[/quote]

#14 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

[quote name='SchattenJager' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:04 AM' post='287741']
Ok, believe it or not I have found an actual eye witness to the bizarre happenings upon highway 365 S in Arkansas. In the old days, before the interstate, highway 365 was the only way to get from southeast Arkansas to Little rock in the central part of the state. It is sparesly traveled, devoid og houses for the most part, the side of the road are swampy and bog like and there is even a abandoned cementarty or two. The trees above the road in manty places are so think they firm a tunnel effect, their branches often over lapping above you car.
Anyway way back in 1948 a man I knew was coming back from Little rock pulling an empty cotton trailor with another man. Both worked for the Department of Correction and has just delivered a load of freshly picked cotton from the prision to Little Rock. As they passed through the town of Woodson, Arkansas heading towards Pine Bluff they crossed over some railroad tracks and curved a hard left as highway 365 does. A little further they saw a couple, as in a boy and girl , in their late teens or early twenties standing in the middle of a bridge and trying to wave them down. They assumed care trouble but thought it strange that they had just come from Little Rock and had not seen a single car stranded on the side of the road. Anyway the couple had to move as they approached because the bridge was so narrow. As soon as they apssed them they puulled off to see what the matter was. The coupkle was no where to be found. Being prision gaurds they were armed at all times with search lights and fire arms. they went to the woods and searched for 30 to 45 minutes, looking everywhere, even under the bridges. They couldnt find a trace, and remember these are men trained to spot hiding places escapees might use. It was as if they vanished in thin air!

You are really doing a lot of research into this account. Excellent work! :clap:

#15 Mistteak

Mistteak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:horses<br />animals<br />ghosts<br />this site

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:54 AM

There is a little known case of a phantom hitchhiker on the Da'lagular Highway south or Cabulture in Queensland Australia. Same Deal.. He was hiking hom in the 1950's got hit dy a car .. still trying to get home.

Well it is all hearsay .. I cant seem to find any records .. but i did find a spooked out witness who picked him up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users