11 replies to this topic

#1 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:23 PM

Sometime next week I'll be visiting the Hotel Conneaut in Northwestern PA, at least for dinner, maybe the night if the weather is wet enough.  I've come across some stories on the web of a woman who died there during a fire.  Has anyone ever been there or heard very much about the story?  

In the early part of the 1900's (thinking 1920 or a little later because my Grandfather remembers the fire slightly) the hotel caught fire.   Supposedly a young woman who had just got married died in that fire and she is said to still be seen in the hotel.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#2 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 02:20 AM

If memory serves me right, there may be two spirits. One man was a butcher who was murdered and dismembered there and another woman named Elizabeth died in a fire there. She was a young bride at the time. Supposedly there is so much activity there that the employees have to work in pairs. I haven't looked this one up in a while but that is what I remember.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#3 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:41 PM

I had heard mainly stories about Elizabeth...will see what I can come up with between now and Monday, I think after going to the park at least once a summer most of my life its about time I go to the Hotel  ;D
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#4 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:52 PM

Masq,

I heard a nasty rumor that the park wasn't opening this summer due to finances?  Not sure if that was true or not, but if you going, guess not.

I had heard about Elizabeth, but not about the butcher.  Cajun can you elaborate a bit more????

#5 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 04:24 PM

ok the website that I read before is down at the moment. All I found is one at allstays.com that makes the same statement above. When the site comes back up or I find another I will let you know.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 07:04 PM

Mrs.,

Its open, my one friend came up from TX and went the last two weekends and this weekend they are having an antique boat show, would go but I have a graduation party to go to on Sunday.  I know the person who sold/gave the park to the community was causing some problems but it was thrown out of court the last I heard.  Last year while talking to some of the young girls working there I heard that they maybe reopening some of the things like the zoo and Robinson Curoseo (English major and can't spell it) Island Boat Ride since last summer went so well.

I'm actually surprised that there are more stories about the park.  I know of at least one park related death from the 30's, I think 1937 one of my grandfather's cousins was killed.  He was 4 and got to close to the swings and got kicked, he died a few days later.  I had never heard this story till last summer.  My grandfather doesn't often talk about things like that or anything but its something he never forgot or stopped thinking about.

#7 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:55 AM

Hello everyone, and welcome new villagers....I wasn't  able to get in for dinner like I was hoping though on Wed night a little after 8 I did get some pictures and a few again late on Friday....

#8 Elana

Elana

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:20 AM

Hello fellow ghosthunters:-) I'm new here and I would like to atest to the fact that Hotel Conneaut is indeed Haunted. It is such a gorgeously mysterious place...has a certain presence about it where you just know that there are other souls there besides the staff and guest. One has the strong sense that they are being watched...

I've had two very unusual experiences during my daytime visits to the place. I didn't even know the place existed until, one summer two years ago while visiting the amusement park with my family, I got bored and wondered to the back of the park. There I discovered a massive white hotel over a century old...thus Hotel Conneaut. Intrigued and very curious, I went inside and did some poking around and came to the conclusion that the hotel was likely to be haunted. My family and I stayed for dinner at the elegant Steak on the Lake and we asked a waitress about this. She told us that the Hotel was said to be haunted (among other ghosts) by a young bride named Elizabeth who had died in a fire many years ago on the 3rd floor. The spirit's presence was supposed to give off a strong scent of flowers. Her room was 308...recognizable as it is the only room in the corridor with the original old doorknob still in tact.

Naturally, we went to investigate after dinner. We reached the third floor wing and did some looking around. As we were walking down the hall, expecting nothing to happen, we suddenly became aware of a strong floral scent in the hall near room 308. We did everything we could to find a logical explanation. There were no Glade plug-ins, cleaning materials or evidence of spilled perfumes anywhere in sight! Yet this smell was unlike anything we had ever experienced...it was a extremely old smell. And it absolutely refused to stay in one place! This was the peculiar thing...the smell seemed to vanish completely and transpire in another section of the hall and no where else. It seemed to come right out of thin air. It was a very strong smell...and when we put our hands in its air...although none of us were at all frightened...the hair on our arms (just our arms) stood up. There is no doubt in my mind that  Elizabeth was present.

The next strange (though less dramatic )experience at Conneaut occured just yesturday. My mother and I returned to the 3rd floor corridor where we smelt the myterious floral scent and felt the presence two years ago. The entire Hotel has this musty smell to it. As we were walking we suddenly smelt smoke..in that section of the hall and no where else. A very old smell of wood smoke. It was there and no where else and seemed to keep fading in and out. It was very strange.

I hope to return to Hotel Conneaut very soon as I find it to be rich with supernatural activity. Next time, I hope to at last spend the night...of course in room 308. If anyone else here has had an unusal experience at this place I'd absolutely love to hear about it.

Regards.
Elana

#9 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:10 AM

Funny thing, hubby and I took a roadtrip on Sunday and ended up in Conneaut Lake Park!  We just wanted to see what it was all about.  Hubby had never been there and I only had childhood memories.  We walked all around, saw the hotel but did not go in.  I just didn't get good vibes from it.  Forgot the camera, so no pics.

We also rode the Devil's Den and the Blue Streak.  Masq, I might have walked right by you!

Don't know about the whole place though, didn't get really good vibes and it didn't help that we had to run from a really bad storm.  Will probably go back later this summer and check it out some more.

#10 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 03:14 PM

welcome Elana, thanks for sharing....I've been going to the park for years and this year was the first year I ever went even to the Hotel's yard.

Mrs.,

May have passed on the highway but I was on my way home Sunday, check out at the camp site was 11 am and we were gone before then.  It didn't seem frightening to me or eerie to me but then the whole park has been part of my life.  I have NEVER ridden the Blue Streak, scared of rollar coasters but I rode the Devil's Den a couple of times with my son.

• Guests

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:33 PM

Thanx for looking into the Salem thing for me.  I just found this web-site, did not know it existed.   I have a friend who would probably love this site.

#12 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:38 PM

I think you meant this under the other thread...I found some things already for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users