New Tarot Cards

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

:ghost: I haven't read Tarot Cards since College and got some positive results and am thinking about a new set. When I get them how do I break them inand store them after each use. I used to use a silk scarf and except for having a reading never let anyone else touch mine. Is this still the proper method?
Also do anyone have a deck type they prefer or a book of interpretations they prefer? My memory is rather rusty plus I usually read with the full deck and not just the major arcane cards unless I was doing something quick to show people. 30 years of nonreading makes you very rusty. Also for me I admit I use empathic feelings when reading for another person. I don't do it to trick people it just sort of comes natural for me to read the person as well as the cards. I know that is what skeptics like to accuse readers of, hypersensitivity to reactions and basicly making it up to go along with what people want to hear but reading the person is a part of my gift not a trick.
One more thing.. Do you be blunt when you get a negitive reading or do you soften the blow and Can you read for youself. I've been instructed yes and no. Plus did you learn on your own or from an elder reader?

I am just full of questions. If it is easier I can give my e=mail address for a responce if someone wants to correspond.

Thank You Peace Love and Tranquility
Sharon

#2 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:21 AM

Hello Sharon,

I've been working with the tarot for over 20 years. Some people have very specific ways to activate and store cards. There is no one, definite way. I keep mine in a safe, dry place, and I don't do anything to activate them. Some people ask you to shuffle the deck before a reading. I prefer to shuffle the cards myself while reflecting on the question the person is asking. My hands stop shuffling on their own accord when the cards are in the correct order. I always use the same card layout, the Celtic cross, so my subconscious knows in what order to put cards for the reading. You can use any layout you want, just have it in mind when the shuffling goes on.

I use the Aquarian deck, because I feel comfortable with the images. I've tried other decks, the the Aquarian minor arcana cards have descriptive pictures, and most other decks seem to have just the drawings of coins or rods, which do not inspire me. Your cards should be comfortable for you and give you key ideas, so that you're not constantly having to look in a companion book. I still look in the book during a reading, if my 'key word' for a card doesn't inspire me.

I connect with the questionner too. How else can you key into what is going on with them? I look on a reading as a dialogue between the questionner and myself. I need to be face to face or talking on the phone with the person. I've found that readings over the internet don't work for me because I need that direct connection with someone, or their representative. This is my personal need; not every reader is the same.

It's no use reading for skeptics or bothering with their criticisms. They have a right to their opinion, but it is only an opinion. Why waste time on them, when there are others out there who do find it valuable? Having a skeptic or overbearing person nearby while you are reading can skew the results. It's a waste of time trying to change the ideas of people around you, because we all have free will.

As for giving bad news, ethics come into play. Rather than say 'you'll die next week in a car crash'. Try to get more information as to how it will happen. If there is to be a collision, it would be better to say 'I'd be careful in cars in the next week. Be extra careful to fasten your seatbelt.' Provide suggestions about how something could be avoided, without stating anything, unless you feel it absolutely necessary. Don't reveal secrets when others are present that you feel the person wants to keep hidden. Compassion and tact are more important than proving that you are a great reader.

I'm not very good at reading for myself. It's like a dentist trying to clean her own teeth. I still do it, but I take anything I read with a grain of salt.

I learned to read on my own, with the help of books. My mom gave me my first tarot decks, and showed me how to create a 'cheat' sheet of key words for the cards, so that I didn't have to constantly open the book. I know have a little card that I keep with the deck that has keywords. I use it quite often, but still consult the book if I feel blocked. Sometimes none of the keywords say anything to me, so I take a deep breath, reflect on the surrounding cards, and work my way through it.

Good luck!

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#3 Seer

Seer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:The Metaphysical. Healing, Self healing, meditation, expanding awareness.<br /><br />I run a meditation group on Wednesday evenings. <br /><br />I love helping others.<br /><br />I am a constant reader and love to learn whatever I can. <br /><br />I used to ride a Harely Sportster 1200 but just upgraded to a Softtail Nighttrain 1450. It's beautiful.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hello Sharon,

I do agree with Carlotta and the advice she has give you. I will also agree that the decks you work with have to be ones that you "connect" with. There are some decks that have been given to me that I could not work with, they just didn't "feel" right. I keep my cards wrapped in silk and in a purple pouch with the Celtic cross on it. It all depends on how you want to keep them and what feels right to you.

As far as reading for people. Those that "need" the readings and are open to it will have a great reading. You will know those who are not open and just want a reading for kicks. Yes, those people do take our energy and time where it could be spent with someone of like mind and someone that truly needs your services.

If you feel you are struggling with the reading, it tends to be that the energy of the person you are reading is not flowing due to nerves, fear or other reasons. Ask them to relax and imagine that they are sending their energies to you. Have the both of you close your eyes and take a few deep breaths while sending and receiving energy. It will make the reading that much better.

Seer
I am more than my physical body.

#4 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

:Spaz:
Did you get the deck ?
I have read for close to 25 years now,and everyone has a method.
To cleanse them upon getting them,they say you can run them through incense smoke,but I
prefer to sleep wth them under my pillow for about a week.
I also shuffle them ad nauseum,and touch every card.I also do this is a very negative person touches
them.
When not in use,I wrap the deck in a nice silk or satin cloth .White is advised,but I go with my gut.
In China ,red is the color of Joy.Women wear red wedding gowns for good luck.So I like red,or yellow (for Oshun)
or purple(for Oya) cloth wraps.
You can also put gemstones you like in the cloth with the cards.
Most people like amethyst for clairvoyance,or clear quartz for clarity. I prefer citrine and moldovite.
They are more attuned to me.

I also agree on the deck reverberating with you.Someone once got me the Chinese deck,thinking
I would love it,and I feel nothing for it.

I love and use all these decks,the first 2 being my favorites:
The Dragon Deck
The Halloween Tarot
The Witches Tarot
Necronomicon deck
Japanese deck
Salvador Dali deck
Yoshi-taka Amano deck

What deck did you get ?

Miss

Edited by mooboo, 24 March 2009 - 05:16 PM.

Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#5 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

I've been reading tarot for close to 20 years myself. I personally use the Herbal Tarot, because I have also worked with herbs for many years, and each card of that deck has a different plant that corresponds with it. Very useful!! the deck was given to me as a gift, and although some people say that one should not use such magickal items given by others (the thought there is that the item should be chosen by the user in order to choose the item that most speaks to them) I have an excellent rapport with this particular deck. The gifter was a woman I have been friends with for so many years, I hate to mention.

Personally, when I receive a deck that I will use for readings (I have some decks that I just have because I like them, but never use them for readings) I take each card and study the images on each, open up to it and see if it speaks to me. This can be time consuming depending on how much time you spend on each card, but it is an excellent way to familiarize yourself with each card of the deck. I do personally believe that there is a real bond, a real relationship between the reader and his or her deck. It is a relationship of mutual respect. I believe that magickal items do have a personality all their own (call me crazy in that respect I guess :weeee: ). I can tell when my deck is a little perturbed at me; this usually occurs when she has been in her box too long without me doing readings. :blush:

I keep all my decks wrapped in silk and then in a wooden box....my main deck is wrapped in a purple silk scarf, and then wrapped in a hand painted silk scarf with an image of my personal Goddess, Hecate, on it. These scarves are what I lay my cards out on when I do a reading, as well.

I too have a tendancy to read the questioner as well as the cards when I do a reading...I can't imagine doing it any other way, really. I don't really use the "traditional" meanings of the cards...there is some speculation that during the burning times, many of the original card meaning were changed due to secrecy issue and such...trying to keep the knowledge from passing into the wrong hands...that who is to know what the "real" meaning is of each card is anymore. I have a pretty good understanding of the by-the-book meanings of each card, but I let each card speak to me at that time, in that setting, with that questioner....and any given card may have a myriad of meanings depending on the situation.

I always use the entire deck because the whole deck is supposed to encompass the entirity of the human experience, and it is difficult to get that variety with just part of the deck. I also use reverse cards. I am not opposed to give some bad news once in a while, but, as one of the previous posters has stated, I don't bluntly say "you are dying next week". I personally have never received a message like that in the cards anyway. And it I see tarot reading in the same manner as other sources of divination....these are things that COULD happen if you continue the path you are going....nothing in the future is ever set in stone.

Okay, I guess I have rambled long enough now :D Keep in mind this is just my own personal opinion. There are some out there who love to tell people "you must do things this way" or "you must do things that way". I'm definitley not all about that. I have been a practicing wiccan for 18+ years now, and one of the main reasons why I became wiccan in the first place is so I could worship MY Gods in the manner that feels right to me.

Edited by ravenhecate, 25 March 2009 - 08:18 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

:blush: I still haven't gotten a deck because there is no place close enough for me pick them up personally and I really prefer to touch them myself first like you said. I admit that I read the subject more then the cards because being empathic is my strongest ability.

Silk and wooden box was the way I was taught to keep the energy stable in the cards. Do you read the whole deck or just the major cards. I have a method for each with a Celtic Cross for the in depth readings. Of course it has been a long time and I have even forgot which card represents me. Red Hair green gold hazel eyes? I have a feeling it will come back to me very very fast. I turned off for some years and like it or not everything is stampeding back in.

I did have the Witches Tarot that was like a traveling deck because I prefer to keep my personal deck in the same place and not confuse them by traveling with them Perhaps when I get back to San Diego I will find a store. Here in the heartland they are a little harder to come by,

Did anyone see the movie The Gift? It had Cate Blanchette playing a reader but she used cards with shapes, heart, star etc... I am not at all familiar with them. Just curious.

Thanks for answering.

Sharon

#7 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

I totally meant to mention the wooden box for storage,and I forgot.I don't use one myself.
And I have never heard of the Herbal Deck! I am a chinese herebalist ,so that would so appeal to me.

I did a very interesting seminar with Raven Grimassi and his wife Stephanie,in 2007,about their deck,"The Well Worn Path".
The deck is not a Tarot deck per se.Grimassi said its more of a divination tool that you can
also use to cast spells and do honorifics with.
Its a deck that follows the path of Hecate,and each color paint had the proper herbs mixed into it,
when the artist did all the original paintings.Its quite lovely and interesting.

And my travel deck was my original Halloween deck.I had that deck over 10 years.Some creep
stole it out of my suitcase one time when I was coming back from Florida. I was very upset.

I got a new replacement deck,but its crappy quality.
Feh
Never saw The Gift.I will have to check it out.

Miss

Edited by mooboo, 25 March 2009 - 10:06 PM.

Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#8 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

:blush: OK wait wait wait!! U just went to a sight selling Tarot Cards and it was the Roger-Waite? or whatever cards that I had used for years and I appreciate the artistic quality of some of the cards and with over 599 varieties gives everyone a choice but....come on a little dignity please?

I am often irreverent about some things but if a person in my company feels that something should be honored I would not speak a wrong word about. Everyone has the one thing that helps them make through the day and Tarot is only 1 tiny piece of mine but come on. I could never sit still and take a reading seriously with some of these cards. Goth, sexy vampire cards just wouldn't work for me. I know it's the reader not the cards but save me...

Well that tantrum is over for a second. Really, I was just overwhelmed by the absurdness of some of them. I guess I'll just take my High School Musical Tarot Cards and go home. That is what it feels like to me when I saw some. Back in 1970 a friend and I started to design a new line of cards and gave up because of the lack of interest in the publishing end of the whole thing. I see we should have stayed with it.

Sharon

#9 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

:ghost: OK wait wait wait!! U just went to a sight selling Tarot Cards and it was the Roger-Waite? or whatever cards that I had used for years and I appreciate the artistic quality of some of the cards and with over 599 varieties gives everyone a choice but....come on a little dignity please?

I am often irreverent about some things but if a person in my company feels that something should be honored I would not speak a wrong word about. Everyone has the one thing that helps them make through the day and Tarot is only 1 tiny piece of mine but come on. I could never sit still and take a reading seriously with some of these cards. Goth, sexy vampire cards just wouldn't work for me. I know it's the reader not the cards but save me...

Well that tantrum is over for a second. Really, I was just overwhelmed by the absurdness of some of them. I guess I'll just take my High School Musical Tarot Cards and go home. That is what it feels like to me when I saw some. Back in 1970 a friend and I started to design a new line of cards and gave up because of the lack of interest in the publishing end of the whole thing. I see we should have stayed with it.

Sharon

O_o ?

No,the Well Worn Path deck by Raven Grimassi and Stephanie
Taylor.
The artist of that deck ,Mickie Muller ,I am pretty sure Raven said she mixed
herbs and appropriate things into the paints when she did each
original painting for each card of that deck .

I only mentioned it because its a very interesting deck,and its set up
so you can use it like a traveling altar.
Stephanie said she used it to do health magic for pregnant women
and babies while they travel.

www.wellwornpath.com

#10 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

Did anyone see the movie The Gift? It had Cate Blanchette playing a reader but she used cards with shapes, heart, star etc... I am not at all familiar with them. Just curious.

Thanks for answering.

Sharon

I haven't seen the The Gift, but the cards you speak of sound familiar to me, and I wonder if this "deck" they used in the movie was not based on a deck of cards used by The Amazing Kreskin. He was not a tarot card reader, but a Mentalist. I saw him on TV a lot as a kid. The reason I associate those symbols with him is that when I was a small child (back in the late 60's early 70's) my oldest brother had an Amazing Kreskin ESP Development kit (my delving into the occult started at a very young age :ghost: ). The kit contained cards with hearts, starts, two squiggly lines, circles, squares and triangles on them. The idea was you were to develop your ESP by having a person look at a card and then try to "send" you the shape that was on the card mentally. I believe these cards are still used in legitimate studies of ESP today.

As a side note, when I was in high school, I worked as an assistant to one of the biology teachers in my school, and in his AP Biology class he had someone stand at the front of the class with a regular deck of cards, had them randomly select (without looking at the face of the cards) twenty cards, then looking at them one by one, try "sending" the face value of each card to the rest of the class. At the end of each experiment, they would then say what each card was so you could see if you got it right. We did this experiment with three different "senders" and each time I got 17 or 18 of the cards correct. At the end of each round the teacher would say "if you got more than five right raise your hand, if you got more the ten right, keep your hand up, etc". At the end of each round, I was the only one with my hand still raised.

When class was over that day, the teacher pulled me aside as I was walking out the door, and told me that he had been doing that experiment for over 20 years, and I had done the best out of any of the students he had ever had. The only thing I could do was just shrug my shoulders. I guess it was all of the practice I had playing with the ESP development cards as a young kid.

Edited by ravenhecate, 26 March 2009 - 06:45 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

:ghost: OK wait wait wait!! U just went to a sight selling Tarot Cards and it was the Roger-Waite? or whatever cards that I had used for years and I appreciate the artistic quality of some of the cards and with over 599 varieties gives everyone a choice but....come on a little dignity please?

Sharon

I understand what you mean about the different kinds of divination decks out there.....most of them I wouldn't call tarot decks, but divination cards. You probably wouldn't appreciate the fact that I had a tarot deck (The Mother Earth tarot, as a matter of fact...the cards were round, very nice deck) and its sole purpose in my collection was to play Rummy with....after all, the traditional playing cards are a direct decendant of the tarot deck, minus the Major Arcana, and the Knights of each suit.

I think the deck you were talking about that you used to use was the Rider-Waite, and I think that one was the first commercially available deck...though I may be wrong.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:58 AM

O_o ?

Taylor.

www.wellwornpath.com

mooboo, I don't think Sharon was making a deroggatory comment about your tarot deck, I think that she was talking about her going to a website that sells tarot decks and see the variety of some of the divination cards out there.....some do tend to be a bit on the silly side.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

O_o ?

Taylor.

www.wellwornpath.com

mooboo, I don't think Sharon was making a deroggatory comment about your tarot deck, I think that she was talking about her going to a website that sells tarot decks and see the variety of some of the divination cards out there.....some do tend to be a bit on the silly side.

I didn't think she was being derogatory towards me,and I got that she was just venting,but I thought she misunderstood what I meant.
I learned on the Rider Waite deck ,and I never knew any of that stuff about it.I don't think there were
Very many kinds of decks available commercially when I was learning.
I begged my mom for a deck for yrs.She got me one for Xmas when I was 11-12ish.
(Mom thought I was pretty odd......I miss her....*sighs*)

Aaannnyyyhoooooo....I had that Kreskin ESP kit when i was a kid too !
I still have the board part with the yes no ,letter,and numbers.
I use it with a pendulum to this day !
!

M

Edited by mooboo, 26 March 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#14 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

:ghost: No I loved the idea of mooboo's deck but when I found Gummi Bear cards I guess it just freaked me out. Yes, gummi bear cards. Like I said before it should be the reader not the type of cards but I guess if I saw Gummi Bear cards being used for an adult I think I would have to question the reader.

The other could be the type Kreskin used. Hearts, stars, black and white. Again its the reader not the type of cards. I am not into palms or eyes but I guess tealeaves if you had the training and ability they may be accurate also. maybe I will check in to it for some information. I am one of those people who knows a little about everything. I have been told I am a fountain of useless information but as no information is ever totally useless I would rather think of myself as well read.

By the way, see The Gift. It has Cate Blanchette as a psychic, Keanu Reeves, Katie Holmes, Giovanni Ribisi, Greg Kinear and Hillary Swank. It was a good film. Well worth seeing.

Sharon

#15 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Gummie Bear Cards..

I LOVE GUMMIE BEARS !
Do you have a link for them ??!!
I have to see these !

Gummie candy is my favorite !

Miss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users