New Tarot Cards

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

*beware, some light-hearted references to divination decks*

What about if there were the following decks:

- Bloom county, where Opus is the spiritual leader and Bill the cat is the 'evil' one?
- Simpsons, with the mother as the priestess and the daughter as the empress
- Looney Tunes, with Bugs Bunny as the Fool, Elmer Fudd as the emperor

...?

Can any of you suggest some others?
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#17 chestnut

chestnut

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

I love that idea, Carlotta--I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I particularly like the Looney Tunes one-- although I was thinking of Daffy Duck more as the Fool than Bugs Bunny.

Maybe Pepe le Pew and the fancy black and white cat he's always chasing could be The Lovers.

#18 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

I am a HUGE Bugs Bunny fan. I have been searching for
A Bugs lab coat for work for ages .(I find the material on ebay,but
then you have to sew it yourself)
A loony tunes deck would be AWESOME !
Bugs as the High Priest,Tweedy Bird as the Empress. I see Elmer Fudd as the Fool.
Marvin the Martian as the Devil ..
WAHHH !!!!

I WANT IT !

I looked at the gummy deck..cute !
I am going to get it I think.

How about a Smurf s deck ?
Papa smurf as the Heirophant. Smurfette as The High Priestess..

Wah ~

Miss

Edited by mooboo, 01 April 2009 - 07:40 PM.

Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#19 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

:ghost: I see no reason you can't design your own favorite except for the copy right laws. They do have a fun aspect about them in some cases but I think I will stay with a more serious or reverent card myself. I am buying a pair in San Diego in a few weeks.

Sharon

#20 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi Cautious Psychic,

I have the standard Rider-Waite Deck. I got the size that you can hold very comfortably in your hands and I really love them. I have tried many different kinds of decks and found Rider-Waite to be the only deck that speaks to me and are easy for me to interpret. I actually bought them online at http://www.amazon.com. They were very inexpensive and arrived quickly! To store them I keep them in a silk lined, linen bag along with a citrine crystal. I try to take them out every so often and put them on a sunny windowsill, spread out with the crystal on top of them to re-energize the cards and the crystal. I also have The Everything Tarot Book, by Skye Alexander which has been very helpful with the deeper meanings of the cards individually and together. I bought that at Barnes and Noble, but it was the only one in the store. My guess is that it would be easier to find online.

Good luck with your cards!
Kira
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#21 Nor'Easter

Nor'Easter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I'm a writer. I am fascinated by the theo-philosophical implications of metaphysics and the paranormal.

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hi

I've been reading tarot for 37 years and I guess I have my own ways of dealing with the cards. I store them wrapped in silk, like others here, and keep them in a wooden box that they seem to fit nicely in. Not saying that wood is necessary, but I had the box already, so....

I break a new deck (always Rider-Waite) in by shuffling them, spreading them out and touching them, spreading them inside the pillowcase (under my pillow) as I sleep with them for a week or so, and just generally including them into my daily life as much as possible. I get to be friends with them, I guess. Just like helping a new puppy get comfortable in my home.

I'm a reader who insists that the person asking the question shuffle the cards and do all the cuts. In my understanding of tarot, the seeker actually knows (sub-consciously) what the right answer is, since all lives tumble out in a fairly consistent continuum of incident/effect, and they know their own lives better than anyone else ever could. Still, the issue is the emotions and/or perspectives becoming affected in the minds of this person, and clouding their ability to properly judge both their conscious perception and/or judgment. The tarot is there to allow the sub-conscious to direct the fingers to digitally manipulate the cards (I always have my subjects lay out the cards beforehand to get a snapshot of where all the cards are before they start shuffling) to bring the right cards into proper position within the deck so that the sub-conscious can reveal what the conscious needs to consider. Then, all I do is simply read the layout after taking the cards from the subject and laying them out. I'm not psychic, but the tarot is not a tool for psychics. It's a tool for the human mind to teach the consciousness what it actively resists acknowledging, and the result can seem miraculous to the subject. The power is always in the hands of the seeker, and all I ever do is interpret.

I don't read professionally, and have never allowed anyone who I don't know to handle my cards. If someone is negative or chaotic, I refuse to do a reading for them, and generally will never even bring up the fact that I do readings to a person like that. My friends know this and respect my need to keep these people away. Frankly, I don't see how people can do professional readings, but I'm grateful that they do. I'd feel much too vulnerable to the potential for nasty energy if I were to open my readings up to the public.

Edited by Nor'Easter, 07 April 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#22 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hi

I've been reading tarot for 37 years and I guess I have my own ways of dealing with the cards. I store them wrapped in silk, like others here, and keep them in a wooden box that they seem to fit nicely in. Not saying that wood is necessary, but I had the box already, so....

I break a new deck (always Rider-Waite) in by shuffling them, spreading them out and touching them, spreading them inside the pillowcase (under my pillow) as I sleep with them for a week or so, and just generally including them into my daily life as much as possible. I get to be friends with them, I guess. Just like helping a new puppy get comfortable in my home.

I'm a reader who insists that the person asking the question shuffle the cards and do all the cuts. In my understanding of tarot, the seeker actually knows (sub-consciously) what the right answer is, since all lives tumble out in a fairly consistent continuum of incident/effect, and they know their own lives better than anyone else ever could. Still, the issue is the emotions and/or perspectives becoming affected in the minds of this person, and clouding their ability to properly judge both their conscious perception and/or judgment. The tarot is there to allow the sub-conscious to direct the fingers to digitally manipulate the cards (I always have my subjects lay out the cards beforehand to get a snapshot of where all the cards are before they start shuffling) to bring the right cards into proper position within the deck so that the sub-conscious can reveal what the conscious needs to consider. Then, all I do is simply read the layout after taking the cards from the subject and laying them out. I'm not psychic, but the tarot is not a tool for psychics. It's a tool for the human mind to teach the consciousness what it actively resists acknowledging, and the result can seem miraculous to the subject. The power is always in the hands of the seeker, and all I ever do is interpret.

I don't read professionally, and have never allowed anyone who I don't know to handle my cards. If someone is negative or chaotic, I refuse to do a reading for them, and generally will never even bring up the fact that I do readings to a person like that. My friends know this and respect my need to keep these people away. Frankly, I don't see how people can do professional readings, but I'm grateful that they do. I'd feel much too vulnerable to the potential for nasty energy if I were to open my readings up to the public.

Wow ,our styles are so very similiar ,but not even I have been reading that long...

*impressed*

Miss
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#23 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

I like your response Nor'Easter. Very well-put. I love the way you say that it is the seekers subconscious directing the layout of the cards.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 Lord Storm

Lord Storm

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

I used to read Tarot many years ago. I gave up because I got too good at it ... if that makes sense. I became so attuned to my cards that I no longer had to refer to the book I had. I did not bother with silk but used to keep my cards under my pillow or in a drawer next to my bed. People only touched them when I was doing a reading for them. I had 2 decks one was Thoth and I forget the other.

I did have trouble with my first Tarot deck. I had a lot of spiritual activity in my life and my deck decided to start haunting me lol. I would put my cards away in my drawer and they would appear in the middle of a magic circle I painted on my desk. Didn't matter where I put them... there they would be after school on my desk lol. I gave the deck away to a friend (probably the wrong thing to do) and bought my Thoth deck, which was much less troublesome :)

I came to the conclusion that it is not the cards but the person. The cards are just a tool to help attune yourself to the vibrations of the universe. We don't really need cards to get a glimpse of the future. Trust your feelings. The hard part is separating our desires from our sense of destiny.

#25 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

I used to read Tarot many years ago. I gave up because I got too good at it ... if that makes sense. I became so attuned to my cards that I no longer had to refer to the book I had. I did not bother with silk but used to keep my cards under my pillow or in a drawer next to my bed. People only touched them when I was doing a reading for them. I had 2 decks one was Thoth and I forget the other.

I did have trouble with my first Tarot deck. I had a lot of spiritual activity in my life and my deck decided to start haunting me lol. I would put my cards away in my drawer and they would appear in the middle of a magic circle I painted on my desk. Didn't matter where I put them... there they would be after school on my desk lol. I gave the deck away to a friend (probably the wrong thing to do) and bought my Thoth deck, which was much less troublesome :)

I came to the conclusion that it is not the cards but the person. The cards are just a tool to help attune yourself to the vibrations of the universe. We don't really need cards to get a glimpse of the future. Trust your feelings. The hard part is separating our desires from our sense of destiny.

((LS)) I read people or years, and didnt even know what the cards meant, except male female etc My acuracy was over the top. I can read people on the street, in person and online and STILL reading people who need answers. Unforunately my cards may be the reason I had that kind of haunting. I never conjured or summons, but totally meditated and got into a certain frame of mind and everything made sense. As I said, I can still do it, but now just online. I had to throw my cards away, before renouncing them, but sure didnt shut me down completely. You are correct its the PERSON and the intent, same as a Ouija, crystal ball etc..We are literally contacting the other side, no matter what form we use.

#26 Lord Storm

Lord Storm

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

((LS)) I read people or years, and didnt even know what the cards meant, except male female etc My acuracy was over the top. I can read people on the street, in person and online and STILL reading people who need answers. Unforunately my cards may be the reason I had that kind of haunting. I never conjured or summons, but totally meditated and got into a certain frame of mind and everything made sense. As I said, I can still do it, but now just online. I had to throw my cards away, before renouncing them, but sure didnt shut me down completely. You are correct its the PERSON and the intent, same as a Ouija, crystal ball etc..We are literally contacting the other side, no matter what form we use.

Hey ((CE)) yes although the other side is IMHO the wrong term to use. As the other side is on our side but either higher up or lower down but in the same space if you know what I mean(yea I know I am splitting hairs :) ). We all have the ability to tap into the flow of the Universe and more specifically the flow of the life force here. That tapping in can give great revelation.

#27 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

.I did have trouble with my first Tarot deck. I had a lot of spiritual activity in my life and my deck decided to start haunting me lol. I would put my cards away in my drawer and they would appear in the middle of a magic circle I painted on my desk. Didn't matter where I put them... there they would be after school on my desk lol. I gave the deck away to a friend (probably the wrong thing to do) and bought my Thoth deck, which was much less troublesome :D

I came to the conclusion that it is not the cards but the person. The cards are just a tool to help attune yourself to the vibrations of the universe. We don't really need cards to get a glimpse of the future. Trust your feelings. The hard part is separating our desires from our sense of destiny

Hey ((CE)) yes although the other side is IMHO the wrong term to use. As the other side is on our side but either higher up or lower down but in the same space if you know what I mean(yea I know I am splitting hairs :P ). We all have the ability to tap into the flow of the Universe and more specifically the flow of the life force here. That tapping in can give great revelation.
[/quote]

Umm excuse me? It IS "another side" or demension, no, yea? LOL..Semantics..I agree anyone can tap in, and the fun or scary part is, you never know who or what you might get..Tapping in could be amazing, then on the other side of the coin, could be a disaster..Ya just never know.. :hug:

#28 darkdragonfaiery

darkdragonfaiery

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

hey Sharon, did you get the deck after all? My first actual tarot deck was Fantastical Tarot by Natalie Hertz. It was a gift from my best friend. I was always taught that you should not buy your own deck, but rather recieve them as a gift. But that is just me. :D I was never shown about using any book, rather my best triend threw away the book that came with the cards. She told me to "listen" to the cards, they would guide me. This is how I've been doing it since.

The first deck I used as a tarot deck was my well worn, much loved playing cards. :ghost: That was how I was taught. Another friend asically said "I want you to try and read me with your cards". I laughed at him, but figured it would be fun to try anyways. He showed me how to setup my layout, then asked me what I saw. At first I felt like I was just staring at a wierd card game, then he had me "open" myself to the cards. That first reading was was off except for two things, which I nailed dead on(it was things he had never told me about his past). He trained me for a year before he left.

I don't have the Fantastical deck anymore. My x "cursed" the cards while I was deployed to Iraq. I did only one last reading with them before I had to dinounce(sp) those cards and bury the deck. It felt like I was being drawn "into" the deck, and my boyfriend had to scatter the cards to get me back to "reality". I tried to cleanse them, but whatever my x did i was not able to undo. It was his laft way to mess w/ my life, he new I loved that deck, so since he could not have me he "took" my deck.

So my friends and boyfriend bought me some new decks. Right now my favorite is "the Faeries Oracle by Brian Froud", it seems to work with ALMOST anyone. I was taught that you could use any cloth to wrap them, as long as it felt right to you. For my standard "playing card" deck I keep them in a leather pouch my first teacher gave me, no cloth just the pouch. The faeries deck is wrapped in Organza, and the Fantastical was in a bandana. As for where to keep them, well it's the same as what to wrap them in, I just go with what I feel is right for that particular deck. Typically I shuffle the deck first then hand them over to the person I'm doing a reading for. I tel them to shuffle until they feel it is right, then to cut the deck before I take it back. Like others if a person is very negative I don't allow them to touch my cards, rather I shuffle until they tell me to stop and cut the cards for them. After I'm done I touch each card and shuffle them until I feel is appropriate.

I've read for skeptic on occasion, mostly just for fun on my part. Since I only read for people that have been refered to me by other people I have helped, i'm not very busy. Reading for a skeptic is actually very fun for me, and they usually have fun. Depending on the skeptic's level of disbelief is what determins how much information I receive. Like I said, they know it is just for fun so we have a good time during a reading. :D

From reading all the posts it seems like the people who taught me had everything all kinds of backwards when they taught me, but hey it works. :blush: And I firmly believe "to each his own" thanks for the all the different insights. :clap:

faiery
"The earth is our flesh; the rocks, our bones; The rivers are the blood of our veins."Wixarika shaman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users