Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

Just remember,
Demons =/= Devil
Not all cultures believe in hell.
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#17 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Trying to recall what I did wrong back in 2009 and why folks just can't get over it...

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

I am not aware of having to be a "licensed demonologists to have on your business card, though it is misleading and might come close to fraud. Same thing for a "licensed parapsychologist" I can only speak for N.C. but there are lots of professions that you can't practice in, as in earn money in or hold oneself out as "licensed". Which means taking and passing tests, internships, and the like. As far as I know, none of the major colleges and universities in the state offer such a degree or anything close to it. So I guess since I know something about demons, I can call myself a demonologist but proving it to anyone that wants any validation, unless I create something, which is definately fraud, to show I have the expertise the title might imply, isn't out there, as far as I know. :ghost:

Edited by PHANTOM MONK, 28 July 2009 - 05:14 PM.

Nice to be back. Wonder who I made "ill" with me back in 2009...at 67 am lucky to recall what I had for dinner 2 days ago. Guess some folks will have to explain it to me as I have no clue.

#18 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:10 AM

I am not aware of having to be a "licensed demonologists to have on your business card, though it is misleading and might come close to fraud. Same thing for a "licensed parapsychologist" I can only speak for N.C. but there are lots of professions that you can't practice in, as in earn money in or hold oneself out as "licensed". Which means taking and passing tests, internships, and the like. As far as I know, none of the major colleges and universities in the state offer such a degree or anything close to it. So I guess since I know something about demons, I can call myself a demonologist but proving it to anyone that wants any validation, unless I create something, which is definately fraud, to show I have the expertise the title might imply, isn't out there, as far as I know. :ghost:

What's wrong with having a degree in parapsychology? Or are you just talking about the concept of professional licensing? Because that would be different than just getting a degree I guess. And although it's getting more and more rare, some prestigious schools do still give degrees in parapsychology. In fact, speaking of N.C., isn't the Rhine Research Center there connected with Duke University? They're all about Psi research and parapsychology.

To me it's no different than any religious studies or theology degree which is basically a degree in something that is all opinion. And with a religious degree you can get licensed to be clergy even in cases where the accreditation of the school isn't that impressive or maybe even non-existent. Yet it has worth to the person seeking it for a certain kind of knowledge.

Now as far as professional licensed demonologists go, I agree with you. I don't believe there is such a thing and claiming it is probably fraud. Unless you belong to a religion that licenses you in the same way they license a minister or priest. But if you've learned on your own and call yourself that or have trained in a religious practice for that then it's not fraud to call yourself one. And while I've never heard of a degree specifically and just in demonology, I'm willing to bet classes in it are available in various theology schools. So if you have a doctorate in theology and/or are a member of the clergy in some organization and have studied it extensively then it's hardly fraud to call yourself a demonologist.

#19 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Trying to recall what I did wrong back in 2009 and why folks just can't get over it...

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I am not aware of having to be a "licensed demonologists to have on your business card, though it is misleading and might come close to fraud. Same thing for a "licensed parapsychologist" I can only speak for N.C. but there are lots of professions that you can't practice in, as in earn money in or hold oneself out as "licensed". Which means taking and passing tests, internships, and the like. As far as I know, none of the major colleges and universities in the state offer such a degree or anything close to it. So I guess since I know something about demons, I can call myself a demonologist but proving it to anyone that wants any validation, unless I create something, which is definately fraud, to show I have the expertise the title might imply, isn't out there, as far as I know. :Spaz:

I went out today to a business card place and got my own, personalized, business card advertising me as a "Professional Demonologist", name, telephone number, office hours, and nothing else. Nothing was ask of me there, nothing about requirements, aside from lots of laughs, I think 1 person there at least seemed interested. I guess I could go into exorcisms but some priests I know would get real ill with me. FYI, I am licensed in one profession, required by the state, and by the professional organization.

Nice to be back. Wonder who I made "ill" with me back in 2009...at 67 am lucky to recall what I had for dinner 2 days ago. Guess some folks will have to explain it to me as I have no clue.

#20 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

I am not aware of having to be a "licensed demonologists to have on your business card, though it is misleading and might come close to fraud. Same thing for a "licensed parapsychologist" I can only speak for N.C. but there are lots of professions that you can't practice in, as in earn money in or hold oneself out as "licensed". Which means taking and passing tests, internships, and the like. As far as I know, none of the major colleges and universities in the state offer such a degree or anything close to it. So I guess since I know something about demons, I can call myself a demonologist but proving it to anyone that wants any validation, unless I create something, which is definately fraud, to show I have the expertise the title might imply, isn't out there, as far as I know. :Spaz:

I went out today to a business card place and got my own, personalized, business card advertising me as a "Professional Demonologist", name, telephone number, office hours, and nothing else. Nothing was ask of me there, nothing about requirements, aside from lots of laughs, I think 1 person there at least seemed interested. I guess I could go into exorcisms but some priests I know would get real ill with me. FYI, I am licensed in one profession, required by the state, and by the professional organization.

What does this entire statement have to do with anything? Who is talking about getting licensed or being a professional in the first place? I was talking about various kinds of degrees and the different levels of what they're worth. Some are mostly just to gain knowledge when it comes to paranormal things and some are religious degrees that are mostly worth something inside of a religious institution. I don't think anyone is talking about being a professional demonologist and charging money for it here.

#21 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

It sounds as though there may just be a misunderstanding due to semantics here that is creating conflict where none exists. Phantom Monk seemed to be simply stating that 'licensing' is probably something that does not exist (another thread recently devolved into a debate along these lines); He can speak for himself I'm sure, but it didn't sound like there was any 'problem with licensing para-psychologists'. 'Licensing' would have to be something issued by primarily governmental-type agencies - I think everyone is in agreement that 'licensing' for para-psychology and/or demonology does not exist as such. A "Professional Demonologist" would very appropriately be able to be (whoo! sorry about the syntax there) placed on a business card because there is no presentation of oneself as 'licensed' - all you would have to prove is that you are paid to study/deal with demons. Study, certification and degree work in that area of study is yet another category that can be ascribed 'titles' that then mean quite another set of things. And, as to whether this thread is about being a professional demonologist - I would think that the question/title of the thread "How does one become a Demonologist?" would most definitely include this topic. Just figured some clarification of wording might stave off any misunderstanding.
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#22 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

Let me know what you want to know about demons and how and where you can study them.

#23 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

It sounds as though there may just be a misunderstanding due to semantics here that is creating conflict where none exists.

Thanks, I appreciate the idea behind your post. I wasn't trying to cause conflict or expecting any but I am misunderstanding Phantom Monk's point. And I felt like he might have been misunderstanding mine and that I wasn't advocating anything like licensing or being paid for demonology.

Phantom Monk seemed to be simply stating that 'licensing' is probably something that does not exist (another thread recently devolved into a debate along these lines); He can speak for himself I'm sure, but it didn't sound like there was any 'problem with licensing para-psychologists'. 'Licensing' would have to be something issued by primarily governmental-type agencies - I think everyone is in agreement that 'licensing' for para-psychology and/or demonology does not exist as such.

Nope, not that I know of!

A "Professional Demonologist" would very appropriately be able to be (whoo! sorry about the syntax there)

I have the worst syntax and create the most unwieldy sentences on the forum so don't worry about it! :P

placed on a business card because there is no presentation of oneself as 'licensed' - all you would have to prove is that you are paid to study/deal with demons. Study, certification and degree work in that area of study is yet another category that can be ascribed 'titles' that then mean quite another set of things. And, as to whether this thread is about being a professional demonologist - I would think that the question/title of the thread "How does one become a Demonologist?" would most definitely include this topic.

Well that's a true point. But I don't think even if the thread starter meant to be professional, that they intended to be paid for services. (see? I told ya I write awful sentences!) I certainly don't think the intentions discussed were to defraud anyone for money.

Just figured some clarification of wording might stave off any misunderstanding.

Thanks again for that. I see you and Phantom are both fairly new. I haven't been around recently as much as I used to. Welcome to the forums and nice to meet you. That goes for you to Phantom and I hope I wasn't causing any conflict. Not my intention. :Spaz:

#24 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

Thank you for your kind words Shawn - I appreciate the feedback. I do not have a particular interest in 'demonology' given my philosophical/spiritual/religious persuasion, but I have always found it fascinating in terms of how this has evolved in human psychology and spiritual belief systems. If Ike is around this thread, I would be interested to hear more about 'demons' and Shintoism. I carried on a very cursory study of Shintoism through correspondence with a gentleman in Japan while I was researching a ballet I was producing, and found all things related to the ghost mythology and culture of Japan absolutely fascinating.
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#25 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

I absolutely love Japanese culture too! So I've read up on Shinto quite a bit. It really is a fascinating religion. I like studying about various religions in general. I got especially into studying about Shintoism and Buddhism. Also, Taoism and Confucianism to a lesser extent. They're all kind of connected to Shintoism in various ways though.

#26 crystalplumage

crystalplumage

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.I am not worried about the whys and what fors of dealing with demons.
Ido not belong to any group,or actively ghost hunt,so I want to know how to connect with the
people that might need my help,without having to be a close friend of someone like Lorraine Warren etc.

I mean ,how did her husband get the title demonologist ,unless he added it to his credentials,himself?
So I was just curious how one goes about offering your serivces if you're not established via ghost hunting or with Paranormal State etc...because I know there is a need for this on the laymans level at this point.
I want to help .

#27 crystalplumage

crystalplumage

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

And I am also very interested in Shinto ! Its an unusual ,but sadly dying,religion.

#28 duncan36

duncan36

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Theres a saying 'when the student is ready the teacher will appear'. Just live a mindful, good life, and grow spiritually and when you're ready things will take shape on their own.
The things you propose arent something you should go looking for, when you're ready inside the outside world will present the opportunities.

#29 crystalplumage

crystalplumage

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

I have fought demons one on one many times.I am not a novice,and I need no teacher.I am the teacher at this point.
Demon influence grows daily,and its time to take a stand is how I feel.I want to connect with people who need the help at this point.
This is what I am finding difficult.
Time to send some of them into the abyss before its too late.
This is just how I feel .

#30 duncan36

duncan36

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

I have fought demons one on one many times.I am not a novice,and I need no teacher.I am the teacher at this point.
Demon influence grows daily,and its time to take a stand is how I feel.I want to connect with people who need the help at this point.
This is what I am finding difficult.
Time to send some of them into the abyss before its too late.
This is just how I feel .

As far as religions go the Pentacostal church is very active in the supernatural and performs a lot of exorcisms. Perhaps talk to them and ask if you can tag along to an exorcism?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users