• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

...Taunton State Hospital - a Kirkbride facility.

Exploration

Edited by Roxie Z, 13 March 2006 - 01:01 PM.

Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#17 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Yes, in my research of TB Sanitariums (and, even some insane asylums of that period): many were constructed in the Kirkbride plan. Very beautiful buildings and the design was unique in that it was believed the "wings" of the Kirkbride plan enabled air to flow more freely through the hospitals helping to "cure" the TB patients. It's a shame so many were torn down for development. I understand many were decrepit and needed to be torn down. But, some were in good enough shape and could have been restored for use.

I'll have to check out the links provided here. Great stuff!

Viv

#18 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

It's burning today, the first started last night! --- It will probably be lost... :D

TAUNTON - More than 100 firefighters battled a raging fire well after midnight with flames shooting 30 feet above a three-story building at the Taunton State Hospital campus that forced the evacuation of 60 children.

Flames were still visible just before midnight with firefighters struggling all night with pleas for added water.

Advertisement

Though no one was believed to trapped inside, if by chance this was the case, Taunton firefighter Mark Chassey responded, "If there is, it's too late."

Fire Chief Joseph Rose, echoed the sentiment of numerous firefighters with the continuing refrain, "There's no water" adding, "I'm doing the best I can."

There's was also a fear just after midnight this morning the raging fire could spread through underground tunnels that connect the buildings on the 54-acre campus.

Every fire department in Bristol County - with at least 20 engines and seven ladders - responded to the mutual aid call just before 8 p.m. The cause of the fire was not known.

Rose hoped only to stop the flames from spreading to neighboring buildings.

"This is going to burn all night," Rose said, standing across from the building. The flames could be seen for more than a mile throughout downtown Taunton with more than a hundred nearby residents coming out of their homes to see what was happening.

Firefighters had to break through a security fence to reach the 150-year-old "Center" building that had been abandoned for 30 years, but were trying to keep flames from reaching the neighboring Howland Building that houses troubled youth. Police Lt. Edward Walsh said the children were sent to other buildings.

The Center building was the original hospital completed in 1853, after overcrowding at a state hospital in Worcester required the new facility here.

Mayor Robert G. Nunes said about 60 people were evacuated from the adjacent Howland building, where troubled youth are cared for. Extra staff for the hospital were called to the scene to keep order with the 187 residents.

Rose activated a task force that required every available firefighter in the county to the scene. He expected to be fighting the fire until 6 p.m. tonight.

The burning building, formerly used for administration offices, was believed to be unoccupied. Rose said it was too early to know how the fire began.

Firefighters worked with a limited amount of water, which was pumped in from nearby Danforth Street. Engines full of water were sent to the scene to help.

"There's no water. I'm doing the best I can," explained Rose, as ash rained down, setting small grass fires off near the base of the building.

Upwards of 50 people watched the fire from the Taunton State Hospital grounds before being ordered out by state police. As many as 100 people watched the fire from Danforth Street.

"It's unbelievable," said Michael Gibbons, who watched the blaze from the street. "It's a historic structure, kind of a characteristic of the town. It's a segment of Taunton's history."

State. Rep. James Fagan echoed those comments, calling the blaze a "tragedy."

"The damage to this just significant historical building is just a terrible, terrible thing, but you know what? The bottom line is our people are safe, our staff is safe," Fagan said.

Booms of fire trucks were extended to spray water down on the building, but the flames showed no sign of subsiding.

Rose said his goal was to stop the fire from spreading.

He had no hope of saving the building, which was designed by architect Elbridge Boyden.

The building, built in 1854, has been abandoned for a number of years. Police and firefighters at the scene said it was last occupied when repairs were made to the roof.

Edited by Roxie Z, 20 March 2006 - 09:57 AM.

Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#19 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

Oh, dear. How sad. I hate seeing those beautiful and historic buildings destroyed.

I just hope everyone is safe, there. Sounds like they managed to get everyone out of the surrounding buildings.

Viv

#20 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:19 PM

http://www1.whdh.com.../local/BO16331/

Here is a link with great video footage of the fire and the site.

#21 Skeptic Believer

Skeptic Believer

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

http://www1.whdh.com.../local/BO16331/

Here is a link with great video footage of the fire and the site.

It's a shame. It was a great old building with lots of potential for future development. Too much foot dragging by the state I guess condemned the building to its fate.

#22 neverscared

neverscared

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

it's a shame all those asylums are being destroyed. they are beautiful old buildings and they shouldn't be torn down or demolished. they need to be restored and put to good use.

#23 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:11 PM

I saw that reported on the news this morning too. Very very sad.
channel 4 in boston is reporting that it may be a case of arson...........

CBS4) TAUNTON A fire that gutted the former Taunton State Hospital is now a case of arson.

An investigator told CBS4's Karen Anderson the fire was intentionally set just before 8 p.m. Sunday.

"There's no power on the site so that would lead us to believe that it was arson, but it is too early for us to really speculate about that," said Taunton Mayor Robert G. Nunes.

A large fence had been built around the building, but there had still been recent problems with people breaking into the abandoned site, Nunes said.

#24 kipling

kipling

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

My name is Christopher Balzano, a writer and investigator in the area and the author of the initial article Cesear sites. I can attest from several interviews the information about the state hospital in Taunton. I have interviewed former residents and employees and can confirm their was grafitti and the rumor was that in earlier decades a cult worked out of there that involved patients and employees.

The hauntings are from multiple sources and may involve demonic forces given the nature of some of them. Keep an open mind. Just because a group worships Satan and tries to raise demons does not mean they can, but it makes the people and the area more likely to suffer from demonic investation.

As for cults in the area, investigators in the mainstream (law enforcement) and paranormal investigators have both come out of the area with proof. Satanic cult or varing degrees are active throughout the whole county, the cape and into Rhode Island.

www.masscrossroads.com

Massachusetts Paranormal Crossroadswww.masscrossroads.com

#25 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

It's sad when a historic building is destroyed. I'm just glad no one was hurt.
There's a creepy old abandoned mental institution near me. With permission, I was able to conduct a brief investigation a couple of years ago. Unfortuanately, it was during a time where our ghost research team was in a state of transition.
While Grim Undertakings did get permission to go back again for a full and proper investigation, a misunderstanding created a lot of red tape. For a reason that I am unsure about, our contact for this building has not returned any of my enquiries. Which is a shame for it is scheduled for demolition in the very near future. :Spaz:
I just want to get back in before they tear it down! Maybe I'll try my contact again if I find out a definate demolition date as our group aren't ones to tresspass. :D

#26 Emmy

Emmy

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

I live in the Taunton area and have been through the State hospital grounds and inside. I have also been through the undergound tunnels. It's a very spooky place. I was sorry to see the Center building burn. We went up there on Saturday to see the burned building. It looks horrible. It was such a beautiful building in its day.

Edited by Emmy, 28 March 2006 - 12:44 PM.

#27 ryanxpromise

ryanxpromise

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

Just to let you all know. Taunton state hospital (any asylum really) is not haunted. If you took the time to go explore these places and expeirence them you would know this.

#28 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Just to let you all know. Taunton state hospital (any asylum really) is not haunted. If you took the time to go explore these places and expeirence them you would know this.

May I please ask what proof you have that this (or any asylum really) asylum is not haunted because I can show you proof that they are. Respectable investigators do nothing but take their time to investigate, check out their findings, see if they can be debunked for one reason or another, then show what has absolutely no scientific or otherwise explanation as Paranormal. With no disrespect intended, but if you took the time and explored past investigations, then you would know this.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#29 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:15 PM

Well said, Laurie. It's not like we just go around saying, "There's an abandoned hospital! Haunted! And there's another one! Haunted!". Of course they're not all haunted, but many of them are, and for good reason. They weren't the most pleasant place to be. :ghost:

#30 jkachuba

jkachuba

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

OK, this may sound weird, but many years ago I was a pharamceutical representative selling psychotropic medications. One of the places I visited regularly was the Taunton State Hospital. I would be admitted to locked wards to talk with the staff psychiatrists. The place was unsettling even then.

My experience has been that the old, huge mental hospitals were sad and depressing (no pun intended) places. It's no surprise to me that such places, now mostly empty and abandoned, would still harbor the negative energies of former patients.

I've written about some of these hospitals in my ghost books. One of my favorite hospitals is The Ridges, formerly the Athens Mental Asylum, and now part of Ohio University. I've done some investigations there and I've included stories about the hospital in my book, Ghosthunting Ohio. In fact, the beautiful Victorian building on the cover of that book is The Ridges.

John Kachuba
www.JohnKachuba.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users