• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VaGhostKid

VaGhostKid

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

Okay So I am Pretty Good on Equipment. I need a new EMF meter however and wanted some opinions. The ideal price would be 30 and no more than 50. Any sugguestions?

Also, I have an Olympus Voice Recorder which is very good quality. However, it uses tapes instead of being digital. What is a good, cheap digital recorder? Alternatly, can I somehow upload a tape to the computer using a certain program?

Thanks!

#2 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

I use an Olympus, too, but it's digital. I love it because it's very clear and quiet and it uploads so easily to my computer.

I got mine at overstock.com for a real good price.

#3 Joven76

Joven76

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Uploading the taped recording to your PC is rather simple, if your recorder has an earphone port... Simply use an audio program that can record from your mic port on your PC... Audacity is a good one to use and it's free... Then get a patch cable... Plug one end into the earphone port of the recorder and the other end into the mic port of your PC... Hit record in Audacity first and play on the recorder next... Once you've recorded what you want, stop both the recorder and Audacity and save your file in .WAV format... Done...

I prefer Olympus recorders than many others, however if you upgrade to stereo recorders I like Olympus and Sony... But those can range anywhere from $100 to $150, but in my opinion, well worth the money...

As for an EMF Meter, there's the issue... I don't think your budget is enough to get a descent enough one... Usually the EMF meter by Extech is a good starter one... Depending on where you get it, it can range from $90 to $110... But again, this is just my opinion...

Good luck...
PB&J Paranormal proudly supports the St. Baldrick's Foundation for childhood cancer research so that all children diagnosed with cancer will have a better chance for a cure.

Posted Image

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

The EMF meter is a problem, figure around $75 and up for a good reliable one. Extech is good, the cheaper ones like the KII and ELF may work but are prone to false positives.

As for the digital recorder I have done research in the lab and for EVP work you need 96 KBPS, stereo, with a 24 bit A to D conversion. The recorder also should record in WAV format since othr methods are lossy. The cheapest digital i have found that meets these specs is the H2 (A couple different manufactures) It retails at $200, can be found a little cheaper online if you shop around.

The Olympus recorders do not have sufficient frequency response to do quality analysis of the end product, they may sound clear but higher frrequencies and harmonics are missing from the recorded audio, thus spectrum analysis cannot be done reliably. You also want stereo capability because the two channels allows spatial analysis to be done. This method can give a distance and direction t the source of your EVP. Instead of simply the voice, you can determine where in the room it originated. Very helpful at validating a recording.

#5 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

What would be a good, pocketbook friendly rig for the audio-recording formula you detailed above, Jim? Tax time is rolling around, and I am allowed a decent little stipend to contribute to upgrading my equipment (it's like Christmas for a paranormal researcher...hehe).

Too narrow it down, let's say I have about $400 to build a rig...what would your recommendations be to achieving one that will do the job right?

Looking forward to your input.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

What would be a good, pocketbook friendly rig for the audio-recording formula you detailed above, Jim? Tax time is rolling around, and I am allowed a decent little stipend to contribute to upgrading my equipment (it's like Christmas for a paranormal researcher...hehe).

Too narrow it down, let's say I have about $400 to build a rig...what would your recommendations be to achieving one that will do the job right?

Looking forward to your input.

$400? You can go two ways. If you want digital portability, I would go with an H2 recorder and two good quality microphones. (The internal mics are OK, but they are too close together to allow for spatial analysis. ) You have your choice of mics, price generally equates quality. Shure or Audio Technica make several to choose from. About $125 for both. That leaves about $75. I would use that for an inductive pickup wand. A little experimental there, but that would allow you to do some research on the theory that EVP is actually caused by an EM Field rather than acoustic. (I have got them both ways, so the wand covers all bases.)

If portability is not the issue, I would check eBay for a deal on a good quality cassette deck. Usually about $100 will get a decent one. (Marantz, Teac, Akai, etc.) Then a 2 channel preamp to boost the gain of the mics to improve sensitivity. You also should consider one with equalization and gain controls to improve versitility. about $100, depending on features. You might also look into a ministudio recorder, deck and usually a four channel mixer to combine both of these. $200-$300.
Then you'll need the same mics I mentioned above to complete the system.

#7 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

Thanks, Jim! Heading over to eBay now. I did snag a great Marantz recorder last year, but hadn't an my mic through a preamp, so I am a little of the way there already.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#8 kawika

kawika

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

Caverat,

Firstly, I want to say that I'm enjoying reading what you're putting out here and am finding it very educational, so thank you for that.

Secondly, regarding the H2, I was looking at the unit over on amaqzon and the schematics show there to be only one external mic port. This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you get two mics to work in conjunction with one jack? Is there a patch cable/splitter combo or something similar that can be used? And do you have any specific model recommendations or a short list of mic capabilities we should be looking for in your opinion? I see a lot of mics out there that are unidirectional, but it feels counterintuitive to use those when trying to record the goings on in an entire room or area.

Thanks.

#9 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

The single mic connector is intended for a stereo 1/8 inch connector. This has a tip, ring, sleeve arrangement similar to stereo headphones. The tip connects to the signal side of one channel, the ring to the signal side of the other. Both share the sleeve, a common return point.

Regarding mic recommendations I don't make specific recommendations since in order to do so I would have to test virtually everything out there. I will say though that a unidirectional mic is recommended. The way you set that up is to place the recorder along one wall of a room preferably in a corner. Any activity would be in front of the mics and should be picked up accordingly, left and right. For outdoor use asume anything behind you is out of the field where you intend to cover and place the mics at one edge of the target area. They will cover the area same as if it were a room..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users