• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

It's not my intention to start one of those "Which is best?" discussions, as I know both are good recorders. However, I'm in the market for a new one, and think I have narrowed it down to these two. I have a Zoom H2 which I'm very happy with, but I've always been a little shaky about the build quality (as well as a few of its quirks), so I wanted to get something different. I don't have anywhere near me where I can actually try both "hands-on", so I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts on one or the other. Thanks!

#2 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

Sony PCM-M10 hands down. This recorder has completely seduced me to the point of becoming a Sony brand loyalist, at least with pro audio. While it doesn't have the dual stereo option of the h2, the easy menus, large screen, lit controls, and unbelievably awesome sounding internals, it is everything the H2 should have been.

I don't have any experience with the LS-10, so I cannot advise other than what I have heard. The LS-10 preamps can be somewhat noisy. The PCM-M10 is incredible even on internal mics only (reported to be using the Primo EM-172 capsules @ only 14db self noise). Here is a good noise floor comparison including both recorders...

http://www.wingfield...se.html#samples

and another general sound comparison including both recorders...

http://www.wingfield...nd-samples.html

You will likely be happy with both, but I can recommend the PCM-M10 with full confidence that you will love it. I too moved up from an h2 to this recorder and I have never been more pleased. If you get it, you will not regret it...

regards
Andy
Posted Image

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

If I had to choose between them I would opt for the Sony as well. It does provide a few extra features the Olympus does not, however you do have a higher list price on the Sony. I would also point out Olympus does make the LS-11 which is the same as the LS-10 witha few of those features added. It also has better noise specs than the LS-10, but ata higher price. Noise figures on the Sony however still exceed either Olypus recorder.

Both are PCM machines, and both do meet minimum specs for EVP work, (assuming the high quality settings are used) so that is not a limiting factor. The final decision would be based on ease of use, features you want, and your applications. Then there is the price consideration and how that ranks in your decision.

But my choice overall, price not withstanding, in this class of recorder would be the Sony.

#4 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

I think the sony is still 199 at BH photo when you add to cart. It will say 299 otherwise.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users