• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:47 AM

When my sister and I were growing up we would trick-or-treat as long as we could possible stand to stay out. We got started around 5:30 -- immediately after dinner -- and went until about 9:30. We walked, jogged, and sprinted from house-to-house, working as many neighborhoods as we could reach in those four hours. By the end of the night we were exhausted, but had pillow cases full of candy for our efforts.

When we got home we would spill the giant piles of booty on the floor and our parents would help us inspect all of the wrappers to make sure none were opened. Of course we lost a few soldiers that way, but they were just collateral damage from the heavy bag jostling around.

As far back as I can remember, my parents tried to teach my sister and I charity when it came to our Halloween bounty. My father and mother would tell us we should separate half of our candy for the poor kids who lived in Milton (the town where my father worked) who didn't get any candy this year. My sister and I would go through and make two equal piles -- and we tried to be equal about everything -- including our favorite candy bars. We didn't just give the junk we didn't love to the poor kids.

After several years of our Halloween charity tradition I happened to be in my father's office in Milton about a week after Halloween. His bottom desk drawer was partially open -- just enough light peaked in to the dark drawer to reveal candy wrappers of every shape and color. "Poor kids in Milton!?" I said.

My father grinned from ear-to-ear and his eyes lit up -- he loved pulling one over on us. The "charity" tradition would continue as long as my sister and I trick-or-treated. I realize now that my mother and father's little ruse did serve two very noble purposes. First, it got half of the over-abundance of candy out of the house, and secondly, my sister and I really did believe for several years that we were bringing some candy/happiness to kids who couldn't get candy.

Looking back, I guess the ends justified the means. Just some thoughts for our Ghostvillagers who are also parents. Happy Halloween!  
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:34 AM

That is a wonderful idea!  My kids sure don't need to eat all that they bring home and I sure don't need to help them with it!  That is a very good way to give them a way to feel good about themselves as people too!  I think that may have to become a tradition with our family too! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:34 AM

I lot of our halloween candy ends up going to work with me, but I tell my kids and they don't mind in the least, they feel bad for the adults with no little kids to share candy with....heck, at one house whatever they were passing out my daughter said, "My Daddy, loves this, I'm going to give it to him when we stop by."  Unfortunately it was a snickers bar and my husband can't eat it, but the thought....
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users