Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Halloween 2012 - Our Topic of the Month!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Dear Ghostvillagers,

“Darkness falls across the land / The midnight hour is close at hand. Creatures crawl in search of blood / To terrorize y'alls neighborhood...” You know it’s Halloween when you hear Vincent Price’s wonderfully eerie voice over Michael Jackson’s music. Halloween. All Hallow’s Eve. Samhain. The veil between the world of the living and the world of the dead grows thin, so you must forgive me if I get a bit melodramatic. But now is the time for melodrama. So grab your flashlights, hold them ‘neath your chin, dim the lights, and drop your voice low… it’s our time of year. Ghosties and ghoulies and those who seek them get center stage, as well we should. It’s our day… nay… month of the dead.

Halloween has always held a special place in my heart; from chocolate-covered cupcakes with candy corn to a dark night 13 years ago when I uploaded the first six pages of a Web site called Ghostvillage.com, this holiday is magic. Tapping into our fear, opening that sensitive part of our psyche to what may be lurking in the shadows, all of it is Halloween. It’s candy, it’s ghosts, it’s talking about legends and lore. Are there more ghosts around this time of year, or do we think and talk about them more than usual? I suspect the latter, but I’m not positive. Maybe Celts are right and the veil is thinner. Maybe, just maybe, the ghosts and ghouls can slip into our world and meddle in our affairs more now than usual.

This month I have a marathon of lectures and events. I get to meet a lot of people, all who are eager to share their own experiences, and hear about the paranormal encounters of others. There’s a bonding process I’ve watched occur countless times. People learn they aren’t alone, they feel better for having shared their experience, and we all realize we don’t have all the answers, but we do have similar questions.

The questions. The quest. It’s what it’s about, isn’t it? As children we dress up as monsters and spend the evening experiencing what it’s like to dance with the darkness. Our quest is to scare others, to gather candy, to stay out late, and touch magical forces that can’t be easily defined, but are understood by all who go through this annual ritual. The lure of this holiday is something no mere mortal can resist. Of that, I’m sure.

This month let's talk about your Halloween traditions and memories!

Supernaturally yours,

Jeff Belanger
Mayor of Ghostvillage.com
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 Gaelin

Gaelin

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Several Halloweens ago, I hosted a party at the beach. We carved pumpkins, throwing the guts into the fire ring, and I set out a circle of candles in the sand to mark our spot for people showing up late. There was a bonfire at sunset, and hot apple cider, and smores. We had a lot of fun that night, and when the tide went out, I followed it all the way to the water's edge. I stood in the dark, listening to the rush of water and spoke to a friend I'd lost recently. I felt lighter, happier after that very one-sided conversation, and returned to the party shortly after. As young people do, we took tons and tons of photos that night, mostly goofing off under the eerie sodium lights that light that stretch of boardwalk. I got my photos back a week later and nearly every one of them had some sort of issue. Even the ones taken in total darkness had what looked like light bleed, and a couple had a swath of gauzy white mist between the camera and the subject. One is a photo of me, standing on the sea wall, and there is a bolt of bright white in the photo with me. While I could chalk it all up to faulty film, I'd really like to think that my friend came to join us one last time.

#3 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

We get the front porch decorated a bit on the creepy side, then hand out candy to the kids. Its a lot fun seeing each year's costumes
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#4 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Being born on this lovely night, I always dress up! Wild and wicked tis I!
One year a friend of mine and I dressed up her house to the max! I invited my x-sister-in-law and her husband to come by and see it. Now, I was dressed in a faceless cloak, with a glow stick mouth piece. I heard they were coming up the curb to the house. I stepped into a flower bed and layed myself back against the wall like a dummy propped there. As they walked up looking at all the cool decorations, they passed me.....I waited til they turned and came back towards me and then...I STEPPED OUT! Scared the crap out of them, her husband almost had a heart attack! It was the best one!
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#5 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Halloween isn't a one-day event in my family...we stretch it out for all its worth, lol. Even at 29, I still dress up for any chance I get...and of course I still go trick-or-treating! Hehe, it worked out perfectly. By the time I was too old to trick or treat for myself, my nephew had been born and was old enough to go. Now that my nephew is too old to go, my own son is the perfect age. So yeah...29 straight years of trick or treating!

We also go all out decorating. My office and even spilling over into the living room is full of "ghostie" decorations all year round, but starting in mid September, I'm allowed to let that spill over even further. By the first of October, we've also got the yard decorated with a mini graveyard and ghost lights.

I give haunted history tours during the Halloween season, but if I can manage, I also try to fit in at least one other tour or event...or even just a fun haunted house attraction. Since my group is SO busy with tours and the occasional lecture/presentation, we don't get to do a lot of investigating, so I live vicariously through television shows, and spend extra time on my personal blog. I also do a personal challenge of how many horror movies I can cram in during the month of October, and try to read at least one scary FICTION book---a nice break from the hardcore research material I'm usually reading, lol.

My son is really getting into Halloween too, now that he's three. He's dressing up as Scooby Doo, so I'm going as Velma. We've already watched the Charlie Brown/Great Pumpkin movie, plus a few other Halloween classics that I loved when I was little. We've got our pumpkins picked out, and will be carving them this weekend. We'll be letting him try roasted pumpkin seeds for the first time, one of my favorite Halloween things from when I was young.

This is also the first year my boyfriend and I are going to host a Halloween after-party, coinciding with his brother's regular party. Hehe, can you tell I'm excited?
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#6 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Socially, we usually throw a party for the season - this year due to construction and schedules, we couldn't. But it's a great time for friends and neighbours to get together and dance, eat and drink, and people come up with really clever costumes. Whenever we finish renovating the house, I'll get to decorate it inside and out (every room gets decorated --- you don't want to sneak a peek at my medicine cabinets).

We have been able to volunteer more this year for a Haunted Forest fundraiser - very fun, and an excuse to put on creepy makeup and costumes.

On a more personal level, I see Halloween as a time to reflect on loved ones who have gone on, and changes I would like to make in my life, so as not to waste opportunities and talents. It feels more like my 'new year' than 31 December.

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#7 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I recall decorating the veranda at home with a huge ghost and bats. Now being in an apartment I put a wreath on the door. Not the same that's for sure. Each year I do get dressed up with a few others that work in my building. It's fun. This is the night I watch as much as I can regarding Halloween. Tonight it's Ghost Adventurres.
Right this way to my haunted space.

#8 Pete LeBrun

Pete LeBrun

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal is my absolute favorite thing in the world and I plan on studying it at school in the fall. I also like writing bike riding, reading, and hanging out with friends. My favorite holiday is Halloween ad my favorite season is fall.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

In 1999 I got the crap scared out of me by a guy dressed as a dummy. Every year now I scare the neighborhood kids who love it. This year due to Hurricane Sandy it was on November 5th so it was so dark so I dressed as a scarecrow and stood there. So many people fell for it it was ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users