Photo

Advice on Equipment Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 G0m3r

G0m3r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:UFOs, Crytozoology, most things we really don't understand, 3D modeling and animation

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I've been looking around and seeing that many people seem to like to use those spirit boxes to try and capture "spirit" voices. After doing a little research into how those things work I have zero faith in what they produce. No way to knowing if what you heard was what you were looking for or something from a local rradio transmitter. So I am wondering if a simple DVR will suffice for this purpose? I do some audio and have been using th Tascam DR-05 for a while now to do audio on the job. It's a solid professional level DVR and was wondering if it can be used for this. Also if anyone on here has tried using it or is using it, woudl love to hear how it's working out for you.

Thanks guys!

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

While I have not tested it in my lab the specs on the Tascam DR-05 do meet minimum requirements for EVP work PROVIDED the recorder is used in its highest quality mode. (96 KBPS, 24 bit sampling, and PCM recording to WAV format.) Anything less would fail to meet specs. I would also use two external mics instead of the internal mics. This would allow for better stereo separation. BTW, this holds true for all recorders; the phased stereo (simulated) just doesn't have the same characteristics as true stereo where the mics are positioned about 16 - 20 inches apart. Spatial analysis cannot be done on a phased configuration recording.

Agree completely about ghost boxes. Some people will fall for anything!
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#3 creepyjon

creepyjon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

I use the tascam dr-05 and it is simply amazing. I get so many more evps, clearer evps, and I'm able to amplify very faint evps 10-12x times before hearing noise. I can't believe ANYONE would waste their money on a normal recorder when you can get an amazing recorder for only a few bucks more. I tell everyone about them, but they are still mostly unheard of and people go to walmart to buy junk instead.

Also I'm not a fan of ghost boxes, but my friends use them. Most people are just too gullible and think anything that comes out of them is a ghost. However there have been select times when they have said things that were interesting. I would much rather just add some simple white noise instead. People have been experimenting with white noise for many years before all this new junk started coming along. You can't sell someone white noise, so they come up with ways to get money out you.
Visit Ghosts of the Valley for my collection of paranormal evidence. http://ghostsofthevalley.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users