Black Dog Dream

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I am active in the matters of spirits and such when they remind me <br /><br />And interesting tid bit. When I was 17 my Dr. told me I would be a good para psychologist. <br /><br />I've been at GV for a while, but not active. I've been a lurker for years. I'm hoping to change that now.

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

I'm posting this, as I don't really know what to make of it.

After a week long road trip, I got home last night, and lazed around the house all day today. At one point I even napped. While I was napping I had a bizarre dream.

It was of a black dog. I was in the same room I fell asleep in, but it was very dark, with just a sliver of light peaking in through the heavy drapes. There were two dogs. A golden dog (looking very much like a golden retriever) and a pure black dog that most resembled a wolf. (I love wolves, so I don't know why in my dream this thing looked so much like one.)

The black dog knocked me down, and some how I had a large butcher knife in my hand. And the entire dream was spent fending this big black dog off. I never made it back to my feet, and was only able to keep the dog from mauling me by repeatedly stabbing it. The stabbing did no good, and several times the dog seemed as though it would morph into a human. The golden dog tried to distract the black dog several times, but was not successful. Thats all I remember.

But I woke up, feeling awful. It felt like more then just a bad dream, and I was wondering if the appearance of a black dog was significant in dreams at all. I tried to look this up on the net, but just kept running across websites that required payment for "dream reading". I'm not THAT curious.

As this dream felt different, and almost "spiritual" (in a negative way) I kind of wondered if this could have something to do with the fact I persued evp for a few weeks 2 months ago out of curiosity. I only got 2 evps, and began experiencing events I decided I didn't want to and immediately quit evp recording.

Input is what I'm looking for, so don't be shy.

thanks all

#2 HauntHunterEddie

HauntHunterEddie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:28 AM

Hi NightFrightz! Well, symbolically, a black dog has always been a harbinger of death and general misfortune. I think you should note the stark difference between the black dog as being wild and the golden dog as being domesticated, as there could be some symbolism.
Many dream interpreters nowadays believe that your dreams, no matter what is in them, are all about you! Using allegories and metaphore of common images, your subconscious could be trying to bring forth more complex ideas through your dreams. Its a stretch for me to say this since i don't know you at all, but heres an example of what it could be interpreted to mean:

Perhaps in your life you have an unruly side thats a bit "wild"(the black dog), including unhealthy habits of almost any kind. Unless you can "train" yourself(golden dog) to steer away from these habits, they are going to cause a long and painful struggle later on in your life and changing your habits then wont help much at that point, nor will surgery(the knife) help do much good other than prolonging the condition.

This is just an example and I'm probably way off. For all I know you could be a health nut that lives in a glass bubble lol, so harmful habits wouldn't be very relevent. Additionally, this is a somewhat widely applicable interpretation I came up with, much like cold reading, since almost everyone has a bad habit, whether its smoking, frequent fast food, black tar heroin, not being physically active, not dealing with stress, etc, etc. Still, hope this helped a little.

#3 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Traditionally, dogs in dreams are very good omens as they symbolize friends/friendship. It's what the dogs are doing in your dream that is important. Also, a wolf represent financial setbacks. The black dog represents a friend, but one that you should not trust. A wolf represents financial difficulties. The golden dog also represents a friend, but one with your best interests at heart. A knife can mean many different things in a dream, and it's what the knife blade looked like that will tell you the symbol, but in general terms a sharp knife pretty much indicates personal turmoil. To defend yourself in a dream means that forcing an issue with someone could backfire and cause someone to stop helping you.

Here's my interpretation: This dream is a warning to be on your guard against someone you trust who is somehow cheating you or using you. It also warns to look to your real friends before it is too late with them. They have tried to tell you but you have ignored advice and now you risk losing them. My feeling is that the issue involves money somehow - loans not repaid, getting one to buy stuff for you but not repaying the cost, perhaps outright stealing. Could be as simple as getting someone to drive you around but never offering to pay for gas or as big as embezzeling money from a boss - only you know. Whatever it is, you need to take a look at the situation without rose colored glasses and then take what ever steps you need in order to protect yourself.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#4 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I am active in the matters of spirits and such when they remind me <br /><br />And interesting tid bit. When I was 17 my Dr. told me I would be a good para psychologist. <br /><br />I've been at GV for a while, but not active. I've been a lurker for years. I'm hoping to change that now.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

Well...I've thought about this post many, many times in the last 3 years and figured maybe I could get it off my mind if I just posted a quick update. No, I'm not trying to dig up burried topics...I just felt the need for closure on this post.

This is why. I've always been pretty healthy. Granted, I've always been obese as well...but always healthy. I've not ever ran in to the traditional problems of some one my size normally does. Starting November of 2008 I got sick with a flu, which was only the catalyst to a series of illness including phnemonia and even broken ribs. Essentially my weight hampered my recovery and helped the illness along until I ended up in the hospital multiple times....where they had problems treating me because of my weight.

Since then I have suffered a ruptured disc in my back, a knee problem only correctable by surgery (which isn't an option) and various other problems. True...I am now at the ripe age of 27 losing weight...but it seems the damage has been done.

Hi NightFrightz! Well, symbolically, a black dog has always been a harbinger of death and general misfortune. I think you should note the stark difference between the black dog as being wild and the golden dog as being domesticated, as there could be some symbolism.
Many dream interpreters nowadays believe that your dreams, no matter what is in them, are all about you! Using allegories and metaphore of common images, your subconscious could be trying to bring forth more complex ideas through your dreams. Its a stretch for me to say this since i don't know you at all, but heres an example of what it could be interpreted to mean:

Perhaps in your life you have an unruly side thats a bit "wild"(the black dog), including unhealthy habits of almost any kind. Unless you can "train" yourself(golden dog) to steer away from these habits, they are going to cause a long and painful struggle later on in your life and changing your habits then wont help much at that point, nor will surgery(the knife) help do much good other than prolonging the condition.

This is just an example and I'm probably way off. For all I know you could be a health nut that lives in a glass bubble lol, so harmful habits wouldn't be very relevent. Additionally, this is a somewhat widely applicable interpretation I came up with, much like cold reading, since almost everyone has a bad habit, whether its smoking, frequent fast food, black tar heroin, not being physically active, not dealing with stress, etc, etc. Still, hope this helped a little.

#5 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

And about this interpretation...

:::sigh:::

This one, it hit home a little harder at the time, and I remember thinking "wow". I never owed anyone money...but at the time was in the middle of a financial crisis with a person who I shouldn't have trusted though I should have been able to. That situation ended in me maxing out 1000's of dollars on credit cards to help support some one else...while ignoring people I wish were still in my life today...but aren't because I put them on the back burner while spending my time, money and energy on trying to save someone I thought I could.

Since I posted this, I've had a dream involving the same black dog twice. One not long ago...and I thought..." I really need to go back to that post, and just let them know as they took the time"...but even though I've been here since, I've never been brave enough to dig it up...but tonight feels right.

Traditionally, dogs in dreams are very good omens as they symbolize friends/friendship. It's what the dogs are doing in your dream that is important. Also, a wolf represent financial setbacks. The black dog represents a friend, but one that you should not trust. A wolf represents financial difficulties. The golden dog also represents a friend, but one with your best interests at heart. A knife can mean many different things in a dream, and it's what the knife blade looked like that will tell you the symbol, but in general terms a sharp knife pretty much indicates personal turmoil. To defend yourself in a dream means that forcing an issue with someone could backfire and cause someone to stop helping you.

Here's my interpretation: This dream is a warning to be on your guard against someone you trust who is somehow cheating you or using you. It also warns to look to your real friends before it is too late with them. They have tried to tell you but you have ignored advice and now you risk losing them. My feeling is that the issue involves money somehow - loans not repaid, getting one to buy stuff for you but not repaying the cost, perhaps outright stealing. Could be as simple as getting someone to drive you around but never offering to pay for gas or as big as embezzeling money from a boss - only you know. Whatever it is, you need to take a look at the situation without rose colored glasses and then take what ever steps you need in order to protect yourself.

#6 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

seems like both interpertations had validity...
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#7 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi, Night
What's the symbol mean to you? What's your gut reaction to seeing an unfamiliar black dog on the street?
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users