EVPs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:writing, the occult, paranormal, film, television, past lives, spirituality, anthropology, religious studies, divination, I Ching, Astrology, coincidences, painting, literature

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

I believe EVPs might be partially due to sound distortion, signals can become disorganized and scrambled when transferring through the ears into the brain, even soundwaves are what I would call sort of fragile? They seem to be easily bent, manipulated. I think the only way to truly prove an EVP is psychically...meaning you hear it, another person hears it, it's recorded on some device....and also it is not just observable through the device...you must hear it within you because if it were a true ghost communicating it wouldn't be through distortion, it may come off as distorted. Pinpoint the distorted message it is communicating, and it might be anything from static to some phrase, but if you can pinpoint it within you and observe it...in whatever way then I believe you could prove that an actual ghost were purposely contacting you. I don't think anyone can "Catch" a ghost on camera or record one for that main reason. Your brain scrambles messages....and so sound distortion would mean interfere as in it could be your own subconcious projections, of your thoughts...shadow of your psyche, etc. So, an OUTER type of lifeform would contact you most likely through a source that would be more outer, not inner...not through a computer, cd, or even recorder unless they are the restlessly demonic ones who prey upon the shadow, in that case...through your own psyche you might be channeling a demonic ghost. I think there is no way an average person can capture an EVP without a good medium.

What are other people's beliefs on EVPs and how they are possible.
"Science without the spirit is humanity without a conscience"Me“An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.”Charles Dickens Gabzyreach me here: AOL

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

First we must determine what is a valid EVP. I have heard, as most have , some of the claimed EVPs posted. Six people hear them and and you get siz different interpretations. Those I attribute to audio paraedolia, likely they are not EVPs at all, rather just a person's mind reacting to random noise. As far as a medium interpretating it, that says little for the mediums since many times they don't agree on what is said either. Of course if it is just noise the disagreement would be expected, even mediums can experience paraedolia!

But then on the other side of that you get those few which are so clear that you can play the tape for anyone and most clearly hear the same thing. These obviously don't require a medium otherwise the masses would not hear it. Assuming quality gear was used to make the recording, and proper techniques to avoid false impressions, we are left with something that depends not so much on the psychic abilities of the listener, but simply his ability to hear. Once they go through and survive the debunking process, these I feel fall in the realm of genuine.

#3 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:writing, the occult, paranormal, film, television, past lives, spirituality, anthropology, religious studies, divination, I Ching, Astrology, coincidences, painting, literature

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

First we must determine what is a valid EVP. I have heard, as most have , some of the claimed EVPs posted. Six people hear them and and you get siz different interpretations. Those I attribute to audio paraedolia, likely they are not EVPs at all, rather just a person's mind reacting to random noise. As far as a medium interpretating it, that says little for the mediums since many times they don't agree on what is said either. Of course if it is just noise the disagreement would be expected, even mediums can experience paraedolia!

But then on the other side of that you get those few which are so clear that you can play the tape for anyone and most clearly hear the same thing. These obviously don't require a medium otherwise the masses would not hear it. Assuming quality gear was used to make the recording, and proper techniques to avoid false impressions, we are left with something that depends not so much on the psychic abilities of the listener, but simply his ability to hear. Once they go through and survive the debunking process, these I feel fall in the realm of genuine.

Thanks for the response, I think that post makes a lot of sense.
"Science without the spirit is humanity without a conscience"Me“An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.”Charles Dickens Gabzyreach me here: AOL

#4 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Totally agree and I have felt for years that all of the human senses can feel the effects of matrixing (I just like the way this word flows better, seems more user friendly to me). Try combining two scents, you're sure to get a totally different scent. Try touching something while blindfolded, depending on the object, you'd be hard pressed to guess what the object might be unless it's a truly common object and even then the mind might tell you otherwise.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#5 SeekX

SeekX

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

I believe EVPs might be partially due to sound distortion, signals can become disorganized and scrambled when transferring through the ears into the brain, even soundwaves are what I would call sort of fragile? They seem to be easily bent, manipulated. I think the only way to truly prove an EVP is psychically...meaning you hear it, another person hears it, it's recorded on some device....and also it is not just observable through the device...you must hear it within you because if it were a true ghost communicating it wouldn't be through distortion, it may come off as distorted. Pinpoint the distorted message it is communicating, and it might be anything from static to some phrase, but if you can pinpoint it within you and observe it...in whatever way then I believe you could prove that an actual ghost were purposely contacting you. I don't think anyone can "Catch" a ghost on camera or record one for that main reason. Your brain scrambles messages....and so sound distortion would mean interfere as in it could be your own subconcious projections, of your thoughts...shadow of your psyche, etc. So, an OUTER type of lifeform would contact you most likely through a source that would be more outer, not inner...not through a computer, cd, or even recorder unless they are the restlessly demonic ones who prey upon the shadow, in that case...through your own psyche you might be channeling a demonic ghost. I think there is no way an average person can capture an EVP without a good medium.

What are other people's beliefs on EVPs and how they are possible.

I think there can be several reasons for EVP's but many are in my opinion from a form of heterodyning.

So in a way you are right distortion could be the cause of some of them in a sense.

SeekX

#6 Mapsau

Mapsau

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

There is no doubt that many of the B and C evps are hearing different things from people however, the fact remains that there does exist a human voice saying SOMETHING in many. It is a great feeling though when someone presents an EVP and without being told what is supposed to be said, everyone in the group immediately says the same thing heard.

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

There is no doubt that many of the B and C evps are hearing different things from people however, the fact remains that there does exist a human voice saying SOMETHING in many. It is a great feeling though when someone presents an EVP and without being told what is supposed to be said, everyone in the group immediately says the same thing heard.

I would disagree with many of those. There may not be a human voice present in many of them, rather the perceived voice in those cases is a result of audio paraedolia, or artificially created using software techniques on a computer, (EVP Maker, etc.) A voice can be created from any random noise pattern if one removes the out of band components. It can be made to say most anything you want depending on which components are removed. But that doesn't make it an EVP, it only makes it a manufactured or synthesized voice.

#8 SeekX

SeekX

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

I would disagree with many of those. There may not be a human voice present in many of them, rather the perceived voice in those c :D ases is a result of audio paraedolia, or artificially created using software techniques on a computer, (EVP Maker, etc.) A voice can be created from any random noise pattern if one removes the out of band components. It can be made to say most anything you want depending on which components are removed. But that doesn't make it an EVP, it only makes it a manufactured or synthesized voice.

I can get 5 other voices from a single voice , I got a harmonizer and they are all human and yet all but one electronically or in this case digitally generated .

I think maybe this is part of the principle for the generation of some EVP.
Since EVP is in reference to detune , for me at least it makes sense.

I did say some because I believe there are other sources , I do not know for sure what sources that could be though , Ghost ? I do not know I never for sure seen one but I am by no means a skeptic , I believe Ghost exist. :)

SeekX

Edited by SeekX, 05 October 2008 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users