Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#17 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:12 AM

theshadowlands.net is a good place to go- there's two excellent essays about the history and origins of vampires and vampires throughout the world.  It doesn't go much into analysing the meaning of the myths, but it does touch upon it lightly.

The problem with vampires is that it can be such a large topic, most authors decide upon thier own attributes to give to them and so there tend to be all sorts... For example Anne Rice kind of has her own type of vampire now, and then there's like the dracula type- Modern literature has given rather a lot of faces to vampires.

If you do want to get into the more mythical, folkloric side of vampires, then those two articles pretty much cover it all... apart from the Boabhn Sidhe (Bovan Shee) which is the celtic form of a female vampire.

Lillith was said to be the first monster as far as jewish and christian legends go (I think).  She was Adams first wife and refused to take a subserviant position during sex- so he refused her and she was forced out of the garden of eden.  She and her children then became hideous monsters... half human half animal sort of things and they preyed on eve and her children later on out of jealousy for her good looks when she was also forced out of the garden.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#18 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:35 AM

Another good link is http://www.sanguinarium.net

This might answer a lot of your questions.
Don't be a newt!

#19 Paul_G

Paul_G

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:21 AM

I've not found any really useful, accurate websites on Vlad the Impaler. For all the cruel acts he did, he also performed many heroic ones and that is often overlooked everywhere in the world but Romania. His campaign against the Ottoman empire was brilliant and probably is the reason why eastern europe isn't exlusively Muslim now. Theft was almost unheard of in Wallachia during Dracula's reign, due to his extremely harsh punishments.

This page isn't 100% accurate, but the anecdotes about Dracula here are true....

http://www.castleofs...s.com/vlad.html

'Dracula: Prince of Many Faces. His Life and Times' by Radu Florescu (I might have spelt that wrong) is an EXCELLENT book, and will tell you anything you could possibly want to know about Vlad.

As I said before, I don't believe vampires ever were real, but folklore differs widely depending on the culture. Every culture in the world has beliefs in some kind of vampire and the traits of each culture's vampire differ widely.

A book which might help you a lot is entitled, 'Vampires, Burial, and Death'. It has a few of the more well known stories in there... Fluckinger's autopsies and the Shoemaker of Silesia and so on. The author doesn't believe in vampires either, and a lot of the book is aimed at explaining why people back then believed in vampires, and the attitudes of the people of that time towards burial and death. I think anyone on this thread would enjoy reading this book.

Hope that helps :).

#20 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:29 AM

Shellas, I'd heard that of the Chinese Vampires and I still don't understand hopping, maybe to reinforce that they weren't human :-/

I'd also say the Lhiannon Sidhe, since they fed off creativity*they were fond of poets*
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#21 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:32 AM

I thought the sidhe were fey?
Don't be a newt!

#22 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:35 AM

Yes, but the Leanan Sidhe was a sort of vampiric fairy.  They're sometimes seen as a mythological explanation for why so many poets seemed to die from tuberculosis, or so I've heard.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#23 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:38 AM

sidhe does mean fairy... but I've not come across the Lhiannon Sidhe... do tell

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#24 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:01 PM

Mel, I just happened across them and the name<and favorite entree>kind of stuck out, they pose as beautiful women with long auburn hair and will get a poet to recite, cooing
and encouraging to get supper to read on, as she feeds off his creativity the poet grows more frail*aging*

Yosei, I'd never heard that, but it is a cool one ;D
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#25 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

hmmmm... impressive, I like that... there's something poetic about it.  The idea of an artist losing all energy to love... how many lives and stories is that reflected in??

#26 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:44 PM

*LOL*It was popularized by the Romantics or by the poets who weren't married or happily chasing anything in a bodice, look at Keats' The Lamia or Coleridge's description of Life in Death in Rime of the Ancient Mariner
but these were vampiric women or simply bent on destruction

#27 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:12 PM

i kind of like the vampires feeding off of the creative juices of poets. might explain why a bunch got worse in later years. haha. the info on vlad the impaler is really interesting, seeing as my cousin is from romania.

the shadowlands article got me thinking, is there anyone on ghost village that considers themselves a real vampire?
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#28 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:16 PM

I suppose the question to ask is what you consider real? Do you think it's someone who claims to live forever? Someone who simply drinks blood and claims to gain some sort of ability from this? First lets ask what WE think a real vampire is.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#29 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:58 PM

getting a little philosophical on me there ana.  :) personally, i believe real vampires exist. i think that there are people out there that do get their energy from blood or the other kinds. but i don't buy into the immortality thing. i think that once your body's done, your soul moves onto another.
      i don't think that vampires today actually sleep in coffins, though dracula dead and lovin it would have you think differently. but still, anyone else think there are real vampires out there?
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#30 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:15 PM

okay, i thought i'd put in the beginning of my vampire novel. just for critique as always.

For some people it is love that motivates them, for others, revenge...
-anonymous

Being half vampire has its advantages in my line of work. I know more about the race than the other hunters. Iíve felt the ache for a feeding. Iím a psychic vampire, meaning that instead of blood, I feed off emotions. Iíve felt the burn of the sun on my skin. Contrary to popular belief, I will not shrivel up in the sun, itís just always bothered me.
   Even as a child I was different from other kids. Most four year olds would cower under their beds during lightening storms but I would run outside and never be hit. Mom pulled me inside and told me never to try that again. I didnít until I was seventeen and had my own place. I had forgotten how wonderful they felt.
     But on my sixteenth birthday, everything changed for me.
       That night, my mother, older brother Colin and my older sister Nikki were all murdered by the same vampire thatís my father. In front of me.
    Some birthday present.

so what do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users