• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:46 AM

It was all the work that went into presenting the back story that was genius. Frrom the web site to the "cheesy 70's" style "Documentry" to the books and such. The movies was all ad libbed with a rough outline to follow, so there really was no script. If you look at the OVERALL effort it was really quite impressive. Scarry? Not really, except in the money it made. Fiscal brilliance.`
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#17 wnterstar

wnterstar

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:03 PM

Totally fake...briliant marketing, but totally fake!

I first saw this film as a bootleg download on the internet on a friends laptop.  

I found it very frightening.

Then I got dragged to see it on a large screen and it didn't do anything for me.

I think the small screen took it into a home video feel, rather than a big screen movie.

#18 Ronin_tmz

Ronin_tmz

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:16 PM

The movie was based on a old story when Maryland(where the movie takes place) was known as Blair. I think it went that an old lady living in the town was blamed for witch craft, so they tied her up on a wagon and took her to the deepest part of the forest and left her for the wolves. She dies. And the legend begins with kids from the town being lured into the woods by the Witch with candy. A bunch of kids go missing and after searching the woods they can't find them.  One kid gets away and goes back to town and tells the people. Though the kid survives he later goes crazy from being traumatized. The irony...

And a bunch of other stuff happens after like the girl in the pond and "coffin rock".

RoNiN_tMz

#19 Annalisa

Annalisa

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:art, gardening, theater, movies,travel,swimming

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:37 PM

I grew up in Maryland and I never heard of the Blair Witch.  It was too corny and a marketing success - they say.

#20 s._maclennan

s._maclennan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:23 PM

I thought the movie was crap. Didn't find it scary at all.

#21 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 05:24 AM

I found it to be a little scary. I really fell hard for the marketing of it, I remember getting chills believeing it was real! Then I found out it was a fraud, but watched it anyway. It made me nauseous, the camera angle.
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#22 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,384 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 December 2003 - 05:40 AM

It made me nauseous, the camera angle.

[smiley=cwm19.gif]
Posted Image

#23 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:30 AM

I agree with you, bridget.  The camera movement was too much for me, especially on the big screen.  At least when you watch it at home you can look away for a minute.  It's kinda hard in a theatre with a 70mm projector, though.

[smiley=cwm8.gif] [smiley=cwm19.gif]

I shoulda taken a dramamine or something before I went.

I think the only scary part of the movie was the scene where they're inside the tent and the thing attacks it.
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#24 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:19 PM

i think the best dramatic part (maybe not the scariest) was the very end when they're in he deserted house.  as with the monster movies of yore, it's what you don't see on screen that is the scariest!

OG
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#25 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:35 PM

Agreed. Hitchcock's famous shower scene in "Psycho" is more famous what what it doesn't show. Never once do we the viewer SEE the blade make contact with Marion. We THINK we see it because of the suggestion. It's like comparring the original "Haunting" with the remake. The human mind can think far worse then it can be shown.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#26 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:21 PM

You're right guys.  That's the key.  It's what you don't see.  I think the 2 "The Hauntings" are the ultimate example of that.  They are at opposite ends of the special effects spectrum, and also at opposite ends of the scariness spectrum.  The new haunting makes me laugh, the old one makes me leave the lights on when I go to bed.
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#27 Kellerz

Kellerz

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:37 AM

I didnt like this movie at all..yeah the idea was clever... it was different ...but when i went to see it ..got to the end and i was like ..is that it? i found more amusement laughing at the girls who sat in front of me screaming at ..well everything and anything ....

then again i am a horror buff and am yet to find anything that has in fact scared me.... i think im tarnished or my sense of humour is just that 'sick'

(im the strange girl at the back of the horror films at cinemas ..giggling  ;D)
Hide me from me, fill these holes with eyes for mine are not mine. Hide my head and need, for i am no good, so dead in life, so much time. (Stan Rice 'Cannibal')Just call me Mrs Willard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users