Photo

haunted prisons

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wiccanprincess

wiccanprincess

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:alternative rock music, nu metal, the paranormal, my family, fairies, Wicca

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

I was wondering if any one knows of any other haunted prisons other than the most known, Alcatraz. I was pondering that since like hospitals and cemetaries are well known places for haunts, wouldn't it make sense that most prisons would be haunted to based on the fact that many people die on a daily basis in prisons from fights or illness? thanks.

#2 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

The Old Mansfield Reformatory in Mansfield, OH is a very popular Haunted spot. And, unlike many locations, it's open to the public. Of course you have to pay to take a tour, but that's better then spending the night in jail for tresspassing. *friendly reminder*

http://www.mrps.org/#

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 25 February 2007 - 09:10 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#3 wiccanprincess

wiccanprincess

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:alternative rock music, nu metal, the paranormal, my family, fairies, Wicca

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

wow, its funny, I am originally from Cleveland OH, but I have lived in Florida since I was 13. Sometimes I wish i still lived there. I remember when I was little they had this haunted house called "the Hudson haunted house" and around Halloweed people could go in it and they actually had real pits of snakes you could fall in and people had to sign a waiver, unfortunately, I was to small back then. But I guess now Im getting off the topic of the thread which is haunted prisons..LOL . I also remember hearing about Mansfield OH and I also used to go to Burton OH, where all the Amish people lived.

#4 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

Hi wiccanprincess and welcome to GV!

Great thread, too.

The emotions that go on in a prison also, I believe, imprint themselves heavily onto the atmosphere. A lot of thinking and emotions fly around those places.

There is a prison not far from where I used to live that is still in operation. It is supposedly haunted by a Native American spirit. The old jail in my current town was also reputed to be haunted around the beginning of last century, I believe. The building was re-built at some point and I have no idea if the hauntings are still going on or not.

Viv

#5 wiccanprincess

wiccanprincess

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi wiccanprincess and welcome to GV!

Great thread, too.

The emotions that go on in a prison also, I believe, imprint themselves heavily onto the atmosphere. A lot of thinking and emotions fly around those places.

There is a prison not far from where I used to live that is still in operation. It is supposedly haunted by a Native American spirit. The old jail in my current town was also reputed to be haunted around the beginning of last century, I believe. The building was re-built at some point and I have no idea if the hauntings are still going on or not.

Viv

yes, Vivienne, I agree with you about the emotions., lots of those men haver severe anger, and their souls are in emotional turmoil, and if they die in prison they would have unfinished business on earth I would think. Wow, that would suck if a ghost was like in an inmates cell and they had no where to run, for them anyway..LOL they would have no where to go accept climb the walls..LOL.

#6 Cutie875432

Cutie875432

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:13 AM

If you look up ghost photos, you can see a picture of a ghost that has been setting off alarms in a prison. But I dont remember which one it is. There is also a really cool one in Wyoming. I believe it is called the Wyoming Pioneer Prison. I encourage everyone to check that one out!

#7 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

What about the old Portsmouth, NH prison?? I have seen it by boat, it is vacant and I am sure it has quite a history. Anyone know??
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#8 spelling

spelling

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:31 AM

there is also moundsville prison in west virginia. it is allegedly on a ley line that runs through it across the street to a 69ft high indian burial mound(hence the name) which is supposed to be the highest cone-shaped burial mound on the north american continent. it has much history, including to have housed charles manson's mother as an inmate. the historical society was able to obtain the building as soon as it was retired so it didn't have a chance to fall into disrepair as badly as some had(mansfield reformatory). the prisoners were allowed to cover the walls of certain areas with artwork. there was a book that was published just dealing with the work done there. they have everything from grafitti to landscapes, heartfelt letters, cartoons and portraits. one of my favorites is a letter stating an inmate had his heart broken so he ripped his girlfriend's out, i have a feeling he actually did.

#9 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:26 AM

Check this site out...
http://www.hauntedhi....net/index.html

They do tours At Mansfield and Moundsville. For Moundsville click on WV State Pen Bus Trip.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#10 Justinetomlinson

Justinetomlinson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

If you look up ghost photos, you can see a picture of a ghost that has been setting off alarms in a prison. But I dont remember which one it is. There is also a really cool one in Wyoming. I believe it is called the Wyoming Pioneer Prison. I encourage everyone to check that one out!

YES THERE IS IT IS IN RAWLINS THE PLACE IS AWESOME EVERY HALLOWEEN THEY DO GHOST TOURS, I HAVE BEEN THERE MANY OF TIMES YOU CAN HERE PEOPLE TALKING IN CELLS YOU CAN HERE FOOT STEPS, EVEN SHADOW PEOPLE I FOR GOT HOW MANY HANGINGS THEY DID THERE. IT IS WORTH CHECKING OUT ,

#11 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

There's also Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, which is supposed to be very haunted as well. It's open to the public and they have special Halloween tours too.

Edited by chestnut, 01 October 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#12 TwoCrows

TwoCrows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

We did an investigation at West Virginia State Penn this year. It's a creepy place. Very active location too. If anyone has the chance to go, it's worth the trip.

There are tons of haunted prisons/jails around the country.

#13 IdahoQuestioner

IdahoQuestioner

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

YES THERE IS IT IS IN RAWLINS THE PLACE IS AWESOME EVERY HALLOWEEN THEY DO GHOST TOURS, I HAVE BEEN THERE MANY OF TIMES YOU CAN HERE PEOPLE TALKING IN CELLS YOU CAN HERE FOOT STEPS, EVEN SHADOW PEOPLE I FOR GOT HOW MANY HANGINGS THEY DID THERE. IT IS WORTH CHECKING OUT ,

I lived in Rawlins for 3 years about 3 blocks from the old pen. Spooky place. I recall the hangins to be about 20 in number. There were another several from the gas chamber (I think 6 or 7). I am sure that there were far more murders by convicts than executions.

One fellow raped and killed a Rawlins lady who was known for bringing cookies and treats to the pen for the convicts. Upon his conviction and subsequent return to the pen, he was promptly flung from the 5th tier in A block (the oldest section of the pen, built in 1881) with a sheet around his neck and the rail. Sometimes the cons hhad a better sense of justice than the the system does.

The Territorial pen in Larimie is also worth a look. Reports of paranormal events abound,

#14 RiverTownParanormalSociety

RiverTownParanormalSociety

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:41 PM

Our team investigated a supposibly haunted jail that was built in the 1850's. There were many tragedies there. At one time it was also a federal prison for confederate soldiers. There were personal experiences by members of the team, but not much was caught as evidence.
Deb
RTPS

I was wondering if any one knows of any other haunted prisons other than the most known, Alcatraz. I was pondering that since like hospitals and cemetaries are well known places for haunts, wouldn't it make sense that most prisons would be haunted to based on the fact that many people die on a daily basis in prisons from fights or illness? thanks.

#15 Aesalon

Aesalon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

Prisons/Jails are probably the most 'likely to be haunted' locations in the US - between the physical/mental trauma, and the feeling of 'connection' that inmates have been forced into after long incarceration it isn't that suprising.

I will throw into the mix the old Pottawattamie County Jail in Council Bluffs Iowa - it is smaller than the places that have been mentioned. Squirrel Cage Jail
-AesCome and visit the FBN team web site!!Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations (Southwest Iowa / Southeast Nebraska)We are also now on Facebook!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users